Exn fan replacement

Hi all. 

I want to swap out the fan on the EXN for a silent fan i know the stock fan is 0.5amps but wanted to know if anybody could recommend a silent fan they use or a more powerful fan that's say 1amp that's silent. 

Would be extra helpful if you could provide a link im based in the UK. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards 

Andrew

a more powerful fan is useless and almost impossible to get, stock fan is used on servers, has an huge air flow

the best thing you can do is make an air vent hole, you'll get a noticeable lower temperature, even with a less powerful fan.

i'm using two of this: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07L3D5Q4T/?coliid=I2F3TLJMOWMSWQ&colid=2DYKRFEN0U8AV&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMA said:

a more powerful fan is useless and almost impossible to get, stock fan is used on servers, has an huge air flow

the best thing you can do is make an air vent hole, you'll get a noticeable lower temperature, even with a less powerful fan.

i'm using two of this: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07L3D5Q4T/?coliid=I2F3TLJMOWMSWQ&colid=2DYKRFEN0U8AV&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp

Thank you for the response and so quick much appreciated for that, now 1 more question, as you are running 2 fans I will assume you are running an adapter that will low you to go from 1 connector then split of onto 2 connectors if so can you tell me the official name of connector/adapter or do you have a link? 

I hear what your saying about the holes and air cooled but it rains here in the uk frequently without a moments notice so trying to avoid that route if possible. 

Once again thanks in advance 

15 hours ago, HighEndScooters said:

Hi all. 

I want to swap out the fan on the EXN for a silent fan i know the stock fan is 0.5amps but wanted to know if anybody could recommend a silent fan they use or a more powerful fan that's say 1amp that's silent. 

Would be extra helpful if you could provide a link im based in the UK. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards 

Andrew

I run dual noctua 40mm x 20mm quiet fans. No extra holes drilled into the shell. Averages about 5- 10°f cooler then stock fan alone. You will need a (2 pin to 3 pin adapter) and then a (3 pin y- splitter) to wire in the two noctua fans which are 3 pin. 

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x20-flx

also if you check the exn thread you will see other cooling mods in there 

Edited by Mayhem

Thank you guys so much you guys have proven why its great to be apart of this community. 

I looked at that fan but I noticed it was a 0.05A fan so having 2 of these fans will equate to 0.1A and the stock fan is 0.5A so by this calculation having 2 of these fans do not provide enough power. 

Please correct me if I am wrong i ask questions in order to learn so thanks for all the input guys. 

Ideally I'd like to get just 1 fan that works at 0.5A to 1A would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, HighEndScooters said:

I looked at that fan but I noticed it was a 0.05A fan so having 2 of these fans will equate to 0.1A and the stock fan is 0.5A so by this calculation having 2 of these fans do not provide enough power. 

these only relate to power consumption, the real question is how much is the air flow, sometimes it's not in the spec.

btw 2 fans , even the noctua that have low air flow will do the job ;)

there's no need to have a crazy power air flow, most important thing is to get fresh air into the shell

How can a person increase fresh air flow into the wheel except for drilling holes to improve air intake? 

Next question why choose the nf-a4x20-flx over the noctua NF-A4X20 pwm  which can be found on the following link the https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07125KWG1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9SVA82EPVER17GX6MDBM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Im looking to order this item this weekend thanks to your inputs above. 

flx is better for our use (fixed speed), pwm signal is usually used in PC to regulate the speed according to temperature 

15 hours ago, HighEndScooters said:

How can a person increase fresh air flow into the wheel except for drilling holes to improve air intake?

do you have access to a 3d printer ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HighEndScooters said:

Next question why choose the nf-a4x20-flx over the noctua NF-A4X20 pwm  which can be found on the following link the https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07125KWG1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9SVA82EPVER17GX6MDBM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Im looking to order this item this weekend thanks to your inputs above. 

Let us know what its like

On 9/5/2021 at 8:58 AM, EMA said:

flx is better for our use (fixed speed), pwm signal is usually used in PC to regulate the speed according to temperature 

do you have access to a 3d printer ?

Thank you for this answer I tried everywhere on their site to determine which was better for our use case. 

I dont have a 3d printer but my friend's neighbour has one, you got a recommendation to print? 

This is the perfect example of why being apart of a community benefits you and others. 

Thanks again

• 9 months later...

It's been super hot here in the Midwest lately and I was riding hard this past weekend pushing 75C+ on my wheel. At what temps should I start being concerned about my wheel/safety? @EMA Can you go into more detail on how/where you were able to create this vent? I don't imagine it would be too different with an RS!

Edited by Lets Do Science

On 6/20/2022 at 11:10 PM, Lets Do Science said:

It's been super hot here in the Midwest lately and I was riding hard this past weekend pushing 75C+ on my wheel. At what temps should I start being concerned about my wheel/safety? @EMA Can you go into more detail on how/where you were able to create this vent? I don't imagine it would be too different with an RS!

once you reach 80°C the wheel will tilt you back, nothing crazy. Better to have an alarm at 70C and slow down before reach max temp

the key is get some fresh air, i don't have an RS anymore to work on, need to stole one from a friend :D

i've done the mod for the EXN/EX , there is a recap here : 

if you have some pictures and measurements i can do something ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, EMA said:

this is what i've done on mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4k0ilaixhrpp38/EXNairflow.stl?dl=0

drill a hole into the side panel and put a filter inside, makes a huge difference

Untitled.jpg

This is exactly what I am going to do on my rs except I want it to become a ram air type duct to pull air into the heat sink n motherboard and out .

• Like 1