Inmotion V12 first impressions (from a non-owner)

mrelwood

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Finally got to try the V12 for the first time. I knew it would be good, but I was surprised. It actually felt really really good! This is coming from a 193cm tall, 103kg guy that is soon at 6000km on the V11.

Inmotion V12 first impressions (from a non-owner)

This V12 did not yet have the FW with the split modes on it, but Commuter @ 70% felt pretty much perfect for me for both accelerating as well as braking. Would’ve been interesting to try though, who knows if the “perfect” would’ve been upgraded.

The owner has only owned the Z10 before, so naturally he felt that the V12 was a bit top heavy, which some people have said as well. I didn’t feel it though. Actually I’d guess that the top heaviness some people have reported may come from being unfamiliar with the C-1488 tire. It is usually the most narrow feeling tire of it’s size group, and it can easily feel unstable and not as planted as others. The pressure was a bit too low for me though, so the wheel did feel somewhat planted. A low pressure 16” tire was probably the main factor in making the wheel feel surprisingly much like an 18”.

Once I lowered the pedal sensitivity from 100% to 70%, I didn’t feel much need for power pads on level ground. I don’t think I passed even 40km/h on it though, so faster speeds and bad terrain would probably change my feeling on this.

The handle wasn’t as practical as the V11, as it didn’t have a spring to lift it up as the trigger is pressed. Other than that I’d say that it felt very similar.

It was reasonably easy to lift up for a heavy wheel, since the handle is sturdy and comfortable.

The touch display worked really well, although the wheel must be perfectly stationary or it won’t accept changing the settings. I didn’t check if the brightness can be adjusted, but if it can’t, the display is quite dark making it a bit impractical on a sunny day.

Then the ride feel. Oh man! I didn’t think I could like a 16” non-suspension wheel this much! The ride feel is in a completely different level compared to for example the S18 and the Monster Pro, and several large steps above Veteran Sherman as well. On flat ground I must admit that it feels a bit better than even the V11.

Inmotion is the only manufacturer that has figured out how to completely avoid pedal dip in turns. They also have the most natural feeling riding “modes”, where you don’t feel the wheel doing something. I know that being familiar with the V11 would take the bottom out from such a comment if I hadn’t felt the exact same thing the first time I got on the V11 as well. Having ridden 14k km on the MSX, the riding modes still felt wonky, like all GotWays do. 9k on the 16S, and I can still feel as if the FW was trying to guess how to behave, and every now and then it guesses a tiny bit wrong and has to compensate slightly. Nothing like that on the modern Inmotions, from the first minute of riding. No multi-thousand km required to recognize this. And I still can’t feel anything like that even after 6k on the V11. The ride feel on the V11 and V12 is definitely the creamy top of the current markets. Having a slider for pedal sensitivity instead of only the ancient three ride modes sure doesn’t hurt. It will be embarrassing if KS doesn’t overhaul their adjustments for the S20.

If the V12 had a suspension that was even a minor upgrade over the one on the V11, I don’t know how I’d be able to avoid buying the V12 right away. Magnificent wheel, all the way!

Great first impressions glad you enjoyed the wheel. It really is a good one in my opinion

Trust me the newer firmware is even better. It's not just the spilt ride modes, the motor feels tuned differently to me. The wheel gets up to speed even quicker and smoother. 

I also agree power pads are not really needed, once you find the right settings. 

It's good to hear impressions from a v11 rider on the v12. Was curious how they compare to each other! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flying W said:

Wow, great write up, and a great endorsement from someone who is very detail oriented too.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Flying W said:

Thanks Meep!

Yes, let’s thank him too! What about this time though? :P

(Insert a joke about being or not being detail oriented enough… :lol:)

• Like 1

Thanks for this insightful review! I'm really interested in the ride mode implementation and how it relates to pedal dipping - are you able to expand on this a bit further? For example on my Gotway medium/soft mode, if I go into a corner hard, the pedal dips first as a result of me putting pressure on the front of the pedal during the corner, but it then stays there and can also dip further. How does the V12 behave in the corners when on a medium/soft pedal mode? On my Gotway hard mode, I get a very slight initial dip on the turn but then I feel the pedal rising to level out, but it can sometimes still dip again during the corner - this happens inconsistently. 

Also, how did you find the InMotion ride modes dealing with bumps on the road? One of the main reasons I ride soft mode on Nikola+ and suffer through the pedal scraping is due to the bump absorption needed given its smaller tire.