What are your MSRP forecasts for the next few years?

TotoroDan

It seems with this latest batch of EUCs, maybe excluding the S20, a lot of companies are testing the waters with a much higher MSRP on their new wheels.

It's yet to be determined if these sky high prices are justifiable from a quality and technology standpoint but I think the general consensus is there is a very satisfying profit margin right now. 🤑

Since EUCs are still quite niche, and electric micro mobility is becoming more popular, it's likely the demand for EUCs will only increase.

Do you think the prices of EUCs of all tiers will continue to increase over the next few years? 

If your current wheel's MSRP increases, what's the most you would pay for it? 🧐

As a reseller, I look at the MSRP. But I also look at my cost price (ie. buy price + shipping + customs/et cetera). I then look at my margin and set my RP based on what will be sustainable. 

Some wheels end up at a higher RP, and some are lower... I haven't calculated prices for most of the new wheels yet though. 

What I can say though is that it isn't just the wholesale price that drives the RP. Right now shipping costs are VERY dynamic, which means every shipment may alter the RP that we offer. 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 1

More than 80% of new private DOT automobiles sold in the US are high-profit SUVs and light trucks. There's not much demand for small cars, and that demand may be artificial due to CAFE standards requiring small cars MPG to offset large vehicle MPG. Vehicle manufacturers would prefer not even to sell cars.

It's much the same with wheels, but without the CAFE standards requiring less ambitious wheels. People call EUCs as niche, but within the niche the ambitious wheel is the standard (note the exceptionally high age of riders). Hence, only the most profitable wheels are now being sold...all those other cheaper wheels are just new old stock.

It's notable that eBikes and PEVs don't have this business model at all, but automobiles and EUCs do. 

I grabbed some data from @AtlasP's spreadsheet and made some low effort graphs.

https://imgur.com/qb4X6pI

Unfortunately, the "Insert image from URL" doesn't seem to be working for me so you'll have to be satisfied with the imgur link.

Looking at the trendlines, for the most part, the prices don't seem too unreasonable anymore compared to the increase in other aspects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TotoroDan said:

I grabbed some data from @AtlasP's spreadsheet and made some low effort graphs.

https://imgur.com/qb4X6pI

Unfortunately, the "Insert image from URL" doesn't seem to be working for me so you'll have to be satisfied with the imgur link.

Looking at the trendlines, for the most part, the prices don't seem too unreasonable anymore compared to the increase in other aspects.

Graphs look good, and reinforce what I've said elsewhere on the subject:

On 8/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, AtlasP said:

Outside the Hero with its peculiarly high price for such a small battery, and outside of the current battery crisis which has/will continue to temporarily increase(d) all prices by a few hundred bucks, overall the $3+k price trend has been centered around the new class of highest-end wheels with over 2500 Wh batteries and aiming for speeds above 40 mph. Otherwise we've still seen new wheel launches in the past year like the V12 or RS (with the traditional ~1800Wh + roughly 40mph ceiling) in the low $2ks which is the same as always. (So at least it's not new wheels of the same tier being more expensive--rather new wheels of a newer/higher tier are being released as more expensive, while new wheels of the previous tier continue to be launched around the same price as their prior iterations.)

• Like 1