Out of all the new wheels to come, which is most appealing to you and why?

Denny Paul

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Think Mr Elwood once mentioned someone had achieved 30k km with an EUC.

Wondering what EUC that was.

It was probably the Monster. I wish my memory was better though…

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Am over 14k km with a KS 18XL and not one single problem. Still original tyre too.

Wow! That must be one slick tire by now, seeing how many tires wear down to the webbing at 5k-10k. You must have the H-5102 on it?

• Like 1

I have to say the new KingSong S20 looks really great, and if all the other specs are true too it will be an insane wheel, and good value for the money. I have never ridden a suspension wheel though and I worry that with my weight the standard steel spring will not be stiff enough, no mattter how much one preloads it.

12 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

I worry that with my weight the standard steel spring will not be stiff enough, no mattter how much one preloads it.

If I understood correctly, there’s also an adjustment for compression damping on the shock. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a necessity for you to replace the shock because of your weight, unless you weigh closer to 120kg or more.

@mrelwood  Still a bit of tread left on it, might replace it at 15k km regardless.

Yes, tyre is Chao Yang, H-5102.

It has good traction, runs smoothly, seems to be great.

But haven't had any other tyre, so nothing to compare it to.

Other brands, more expensive tyres, might be better, don't really know.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If I understood correctly, there’s also an adjustment for compression damping on the shock. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a necessity for you to replace the shock because of your weight, unless you weigh closer to 120kg or more.

130kg . . .  without clothes, gear and backpack :-(

I hope Kingsong makes a version of that wheel without suspension, just the same motor and battery pack.

Edited by mhpr262

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

130kg . . .  without clothes, gear and backpack :-(

In that case, just buy a new spring for $30-$40 and be done with it. Should easily be the solution with the best outcome for you.

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

I hope Kingsong makes a version of that wheel without suspension, just the same motor and battery pack.

I’m sure they won’t. After all the whole structure is designed around the suspension, they would have to design a new product. My guess is it would take too much investment for them to see the point. And if they really do succeed in making the best EUC suspension to date, who in their right mind would buy a version without it?

• Like 1

How much more room is left for great improvements?

Maybe manufacturers are nearing the limits of what they are in control of.

Is it going to be external factors like Tesla's 4680 or solid state batteries that really provide the next innovative leap?

Schwarzenegger, passion for electric vehicles (owns company producing electric Hummers), using his fame to publicly endorse EUC's, mass adoption in California.....massive publicity, domino effect, worldwide adoption, mass production, lower prices, infrastructure, legalization etc..

Maybe the next revolution is not small, incremental EUC improvements.

KS, Begode, Leaperkim, Inmotion. 

The prize is to be the Toyota of EUCs in a mass, not niche, market.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paul A said:

Think Mr Elwood once mentioned someone had achieved 30k km with an EUC.

Wondering what EUC that was.

Am over 14k km with a KS 18XL and not one single problem. Still original tyre too.

I heard about a guy that did an insane amount of km on a V8 (or maybe it was a V10). Now I recall it as he swapped battery once. It was in the 30k ish km range or so. 

Now by insane I mean it has a relative small battery compared to modern wheels. But that said you don't need to ride max speed all the time but it takes time to ride that range.

As of the new wheels listed I am fairly confident that they do not hold anything I cannot get from my 2x V11. 

I know Inmotion had something in their plans but when and what that is I have no idea (anymore). I would only consider a suspension wheel for the future. But it will take quite a bit to upgrade from my V11. And top speed is not at all interesting to me.

And it would need a very high rating of weatherproofing. Easy service options would be a big topic on the list too. 

As of any GW or similar brand I just don't see me even consider that either. The short way I can explain why is top speed mean nothing to me after 50kmh and these icons say it all: 🔋💥🔥.

So the S20 is closest match but it is not ready yet and right now we common riders can only speculate how it will feel to ride. I could be surprised, but for now I am sceptical. This is mainly I only see concept and rumours just yet and no final production wheel. Also adding my precious experience with 2 KS first batch wheels and 1 IM first batch, I am less likely to do a early version upgrade now that I have 2x V11. I understand not all are in that position. I am starting to consider if more battery is actually need for my use of my wheels. It would be very rare to need that for me. 

Note: It really need to be new level of build quality too if I am to consider a new wheel. Time has come to make these in better quality and higher QC too. 

But in these time with component and battery supply being down I think it will take a while before we see anything that I would consider seriously, unless I would get more details of that new wheel during its development. I doubt this will happen since I am not an YouTuber for a living and not influencer either.

11 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

Aren't these all over $3k USD?  If so...then not excited about any.

Yea, these prices are not cool. <2500 is "expensive but whatever", but more is substantial for me.

If I pay >3000 for a wheel, I expect guaranteed part availability (ALL parts... board, any tiny screw, everything) for at least 5 years, and reassurement that any problem that comes up can be fixed.

Not sure if any manufacturer can offer that. Though KS makes their own boards, so a least these should be no problem if they commit to providing long term support for their wheels.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

I have to say the new KingSong S20 looks really great, and if all the other specs are true too it will be an insane wheel, and good value for the money. I have never ridden a suspension wheel though and I worry that with my weight the standard steel spring will not be stiff enough, no mattter how much one preloads it.

MTB use the same suspension and jumping from much higher that Leahy. 

If the device can accommodate a suspension there is no real reason it should not have one. Even road bike are incorporating suspension (small and subtle). 

I believe that road riding EUCs will benefit from suspension as the speeds get higher(could be through tire size and psi). Safety. 

Edited by Curt8892
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

I heard about a guy that did an insane amount of km on a V8 (or maybe it was a V10). Now I recall it as he swapped battery once. It was in the 30k ish km range or so. 

I seem to remember it was a guy on a V8 doing deliveries in Poland (?). He chose the V8 because it was really quick to swap the batteries so he'd use one set in the morning while the other set were charging and then swap over. I think most people swap their wheels, not because the old one is worn out, but because their current wheel is outshone by the newer wheels that are being manufactured. 

It might be member Lukasz (Luk Luk) then, he's done over 40k km and Polish.

I remember he was the first ever EUC video I saw, from about 4 years ago. 

He was doing a review of the KS16S, think it was at 3k km.

I bought a KS16S after watching it.

None of the above. As a causal rider (I rarely go above 30km/h) I don't need suspensions or bigger tires. MSX is perfect, except for a small range (42km of range after 8k km @ 130kg rider).

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

As a causal rider (I rarely go above 30km/h) I don't need suspensions

Interesting, I need the suspension already at 4km/h! But not having tried one really does save you a lot of money, so it might be best not to try one even if you do get the chance. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Interesting, I need the suspension already at 4km/h! But not having tried one really does save you a lot of money, so it might be best not to try one even if you do get the chance. :)

I agree, it's like with cars. If you're used to your 2001 Opel Astra G ($1500), you don't need anything more expensive. ;)
Same with a unicycle - 30% more comfort isn't really worth it. And I'd not use the faster top speeds anyway.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

I think I will get a suspension wheel within the next 12 months. My three reasons for that are safety (over an unexpected bump), comfort (of a longer ride) and the ability to comfortably coffee on a go. :-)

So, to me the selection will be from S20, Hero, (V11 - sorry, I know the question was about new wheels) and the next InMotion's suspension wheel (if at all). This is what I think:

S20 looks very cool and today, to everything I know, is my first choice. On the cons side it is rather heavy and I am not sure about how awkward lifting/carrying it up and down stairs might be...

(My second choice is probably the good old V11 as a devil you know. It is comparably light and formally weather-proof. Plus it is available and is considerably cheaper.)

Then it could be the Hero. Although not looking as cool as KingSong, it may have the GotWay's "thrill" ingredients - the (unrestricted/unsafe) raw power. On the cons side, it is also rather heavy to live with in the city and similarly to S20 doesn't look to be easy to carry around. But most importantly, it will take me quite a bit longer to commit as I will probably give a couple of months longer to learn what the real world experience with the wheel shows and that there are no fundamental GotWay-style stuff-up.

But then there is a hypothetical mystery option of the next InMotion wheel. Well, of course, there is absolutely nothing indicating anything is coming in the immediate future. But if they pull it off their sleeve within say, 6 months... :-)

• Like 3

This discussion seems to neglect how it will take several revisions for any of the the recently-announced wheels to become seriously considerable/recommendable, and thus at the earliest they might be contenders for "which wheel is most appealing to you.. for early 2022".

Meanwhile the answer to "which wheel is most appealing to you.. today/in the immediate future" has to be something announced earlier within the past year and already past some of the earliest teething troubles, and there my vote goes for the V12. I'd just have much more confidence laying down money for that if I had to make a choice in the next month or two.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

S20. I recognize a good design idea when I see it. I don't assume KS will deliver a wheel that is at the top of class for torque or speed. In the past they HAVE proven to be top of class for smooth ride and reliability.  Of course that's opinion, but opinion is what you asked. I sincerely hope the s20 is more aligned with the wheels they made 3 yrs ago, yet adds suspension. My hopes are not high however, as a recent disaster still looms. Its also a lot of new ideas.  If the s20 proves to be a little better in spec than the 18xl and adds a little more speed, it could be a win. Of course, it aint the design Im buying, its a culmination of build and parts. Revamping build strategies and requiring good qc from your own facotry and 3rd party vendors, is not a cheap and easy task. My biggest concern about ANY of these new expensive wheels is not design, its what happens behind the curtains and at the business table. $3k is pushing it, for a device with questionable parts, questionable longevity of parts supply, and questionable future legality. $2k is 'toy' price, where the expectations are lower. $3k is getting into territory that should include a lot more financial liablity of manufacturers. However, noone is forcing me to buy these things. As a consumer I have a choice. I must admit, the niche' way it is and how much fun it is, grants a LOT of leeway I would not otherwise afford. I do think I will wait quite a while tho. I have wheels that keep me content so I can let others take the risk, before I do. When the NEXT big thing arrives, is when I'll be looking at 'todays' big thing.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/8/2021 at 23:46, Denny Paul said:

Dado que no sabremos mucho hasta que los modelos de producción se utilicen a gran escala, solo tengo curiosidad por saber hacia dónde se inclina la gente y por qué. 

Por ruedas nuevas me refiero a:

• Gotway Monster Pro
  • KingSong T20
  • Veterano Abrams
  • Comandante Toro Extremo (¿Begode?)
  • Begode héroe

Personalmente, he descartado al Comandante y al Héroe. El comandante parece un clon veterano hasta ahora, y el precio del héroe es simplemente escandaloso, ya que es de 4100.

Entonces, ¿cuál elegiría, si lo hubiera, y por qué?

For the price and coverage, the one that convinces me the most in price is also Kingsong S20 (this is where I found it cheaper) and the reason is because all the other wheels are disproportionate.

Especially prices, the ideal is always to pay $ 1 per wh