How to get over curbs with a small EUC?

EUCandME

Hello everyone. I have recently been avoiding curbs and going round wherever possible. I have seen some people suggest hopping with the wheel. My wheel is quite difficult to grip. Before I start sticking something on my wheel to help me grip does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

I haven't tried it on small wheels myself but what we do on bigger wheels is "bonking" you don't hop off the pedals completely but you lift yourself and your heals enough to off-load your weight, like a half-hop which doesn't require grip, that way the wheel will bounce (bonk) up the edge since there is less weight on it, on a small wheel I guess it also depends on the shell some wheels have a shell that is low in the front and you don't want the shell to hit the curb so if it's only your tire hitting the curb it should be fine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I haven't tried it on small wheels myself but what we do on bigger wheels is "bonking" you don't hop off the pedals completely but you lift yourself and your heals enough to off-load your weight, like a half-hop which doesn't require grip, that way the wheel will bounce (bonk) up the edge since there is less weight on it, on a small wheel I guess it also depends on the shell some wheels have a shell that is low in the front and you don't want the shell to hit the curb so if it's only your tire hitting the curb it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply @Rawnei! The combination of large UK curbs and my 14" wheel causes some fear aspect. I will try to give it a go anyway! 

30 minutes ago, EUCandME said:

Thanks for the reply @Rawnei! The combination of large UK curbs and my 14" wheel causes some fear aspect. I will try to give it a go anyway! 

Practice it on smaller curbs and do it at slow speeds. 😉👍

• Like 1

does the mten count as small? Smal wheels are easier to get up curbs. Simply grab with ankles, bend down and hop. It works exactly as you suspect. Hardest part is to convince yourself to just do it and not overreact. I dont bonk curbs with small wheels, its just too easy to jump and clear them completely. My larger wheels are jumped the same, tho I hate doing it. Its hard on the midsection, and 'bonking' big wheels up curbs is a nightmare to rims.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

does the mten count as small? Smal wheels are easier to get up curbs. Simply grab with ankles, bend down and hop. It works exactly as you suspect. Hardest part is to convince yourself to just do it and not overreact. 

One side of my Mten3 has the wheel so close to the shell that I can't ride one leg on that side without the tire rubbing against it. Same with other maneuvers that require putting stress against that side otherwise I would love to grab it by the ankles to hop onto curbs.

• Like 1

I'm with @ShanesPlanet, don't bonk jump with the MTen. Wheel is just too short... bonking only works (well) for obstacles that are less than about 1/4 the diameter of your wheel—much higher than that the wheel collides with the obstacle and doesn't climb over it, it wants to bounce back more than it wants to bounce up. And you need a bit of power reserve, the wheel must climb the obstacle with some of your weight still onboard, the power demand is very abrupt and not small.

Oh, I don't grab with my ankles or go off tall curbs with my MTen either... partly because I'm aware of my vertical jumping inabilities, partly because there a video of a guy jumping up and down with Clark pads (way way way too hard BTW, not like you'd hop a curb) that broke the little fella's axle. I like my little toy wheel, but it's a toy wheel!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I'm a mere 130lbs and dont prefer jumping up and down curbs on the mten. However, when I jump up JUST high enough, the demands on the axle arent much, its almost a non-event. Coming down curbs, I try to do at decent speed and use my legs as much as possible. That little axle is just a little axle after all.

@BlueCrow You should be able to grip with your ankles. We aint talking much grip and there shouldnt be any side load while doing it in a straight ride. Have you opened up and checked the mten yet? Iirc, grabbing the pedal hangers are a simple set of bars that a nut tightens down onto and creates a wedge. Perhaps your mten is slightly off center at the hangers and is pushing the motor close to the shell? Worht a look. My pedal hangers get loose overtime, as I like to do a LOT of pendulum and twisting. You know they are loose if yuo hear a little shell creak when you change directions. My bigger wheels require nearly 100ftlbs on the pedal hangers. I wont quote a spec on the wee mten, but its REALLY snug but not damn tight. Hows dem fer specs? I use ramps when possible and traveling, curbs for when simply goofing off. I wouldnt suggest a heavier man than I, to expect it take much abuse.  I love it, but a tank it is not...

I think I've a vid on my channel of changing the mten tire. You aint doing that, but i think it shows how to get to the hangers. Thats if you are unsure of it, of course.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

If you want to lift the wheel into the air, some jump pads are a good idea. But that might not be necessary for going over curbs, at least under a certain height. With just a bit of training and experience, you can learn how to let the wheel climb up on its own some 2-3 inches while you do a half-jump - so the wheel does not have to lift up your weight, but you still keep some control over it, your feet are still on the pedals.

9 hours ago, EUCandME said:

Hey guys thanks for the comments! My main issue is it feels impossible to grip my ONE S2 There are no pads which i am considering adding. What do you think? 

Perhaps something so simple as a tank grip pad they sell for sport bikes? If you dont ride in shorts, you could always simply apply some grip tape. No need for big jump pads or any of that other nonsense to get in your way, on such a small wheel.

• Like 2

@ShanesPlanet Yes, I've opened up the Mten3 and tried adjusting the hanger to no avail. Unfortunately, the part that rubs against the tire is the absolute bottom of the inside of the shell, just the translucent black trimming really. It's so little that switching to the Type II tire on Alliexpress doesn't cause the rubbing. I think the side with the battery and electronics is just a little too beefy and forcing the other shell to conform too much. /shrug

It's just too bad that I prefer the ride with the flatter stock tire so that's what I stick with. It's only noticeable when I wedge my foot hard against the Mten3 to mount it and hear/feel the rubbing for the first couple feet. 

• Like 1

I've got the 'upgraded' tire here. I also changed it back to the stock. Stock is a lot less plies and wont last long, but yuo can't beat how soft/compliant it is. I dont think i actually ride my mten with my ankles against it. Even mounting, i tend to use the upper part. Its just more comfy for me to ride an inch or so away. Of course, going UP curbs I have to reposition. Sucks that your rubs, but I guess if it was a REAL problem, tis nothing a dremel or grinding wheel couldnt solve..

just to see If i was underestimating how hard it is to hop UP a curb on a small wheel, I did that a few times on the mten. I followed it by hopping a curb on the sherman. I dont like doing it, but I wanted to see if its possible. I also did the same on my 18xl, tho my feet did kinda come off pedals on that one. So basically, I think its mostly in personal ability, as none of my wheels use jump blocks and Im a sissy 125lb dude.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

On 8/26/2021 at 9:27 AM, Rawnei said:

Practice it on smaller curbs and do it at slow speeds. 😉👍

Update: Tried to do this on my new V10F and fell straight on my ass ahaha. Practice makes perfect XD

1 minute ago, EUCandME said:

Update: Tried to do this on my new V10F and fell straight on my ass ahaha. Practice makes perfect XD

Did you fall or jump off? 😉

Often it's more of a psychological hurdle than a physical one.

Just now, Rawnei said:

Did you fall or jump off? 😉

Often it's more of a psychological hurdle than a physical one.

Mate it was really embarrassing ahah. I was crossing a road at a T junction. I attempted the hop as there was no traffic on the road. I did a small hop actually managed to get the wheel up the curb but as i landed back onto the pedals i lost my balance and fell backwards. Just as all that happened a bus passed on the main road adjacent to the junction and everyone got a full view of my legs in the air ahaha. All good fun. The EUC is fine and I don't have any injuries physically just pride. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EUCandME said:

Mate it was really embarrassing ahah. I was crossing a road at a T junction. I attempted the hop as there was no traffic on the road. I did a small hop actually managed to get the wheel up the curb but as i landed back onto the pedals i lost my balance and fell backwards. Just as all that happened a bus passed on the main road adjacent to the junction and everyone got a full view of my legs in the air ahaha. All good fun. The EUC is fine and I don't have any injuries physically just pride. 

Hehe that's why you find somewhere to practice on your terms. 😉

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

Hehe that's why you find somewhere to practice on your terms. 😉

Usually i would but i was commuting to work and for some reason had a sudden burst of bravery and determination when i spotted the curb ahah.