50E and EUC [Battery Question]

r_713

Hello.

I see that both Begode and Veteran will be/are using the 50E cells for their next EUCs. I'm not a battery expert by any means, so I'm curious what those who are think. I recently built two 12s4p packs for an eMTBoard. One with P42As and one with 50Es. The 50E had some serious capacity but was lacking in "oomph" which the P42A had plenty of (45A vs 9.8A).

Obviously, a 12s4p is a different beast than the humongous packs that will be delivered in these EUCs.

Is the 50E a good choice for Begode and Veteran? I'd love to hear some expert opinions.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I guess it is what it is, but it seems like 24x4 (or 6) cells each capable of 9.8A is many more total amps available than the motor or MOSFETs can handle for long. A 3kw motor would only be using 30A continuous if it was running at rated power... the short term peaks are considerably higher but 900+ amps available from 50Es is a lot of power. You might see more voltage sag from the 50Es at peak load, I say that because higher internal cell resistance would be my first reason for derating the per-cell current.

• Like 1

I don't claim to be a battery expert, but it's pretty easy to tell, cell vs cell, that Molicel P42A is a much better high drain cell than the Samsung 50E's (this is well known in the vape and flashlight communities, where they need to rely on high drain single cells; some other good high drain candidates would be the LG 30T, and to slight lesser degree the 40T).

You can see on the below drain charts that the 50E towards 15A+, you get some significant voltage droppage, whereas the P42A, the bands are tighter packed holding higher voltage even towards 20A & 30A.

But what the EUC manufacturers are counting on, is that with the fact that there are so many in parallel, like the Veteran having 10P, it will make up for the high drain single cell signature with the additive power of many packs in parallel.

Of course, I think we would all prefer something like all our EUCs having P42A's or 30T's (or even better, go back to the high drain king / old Gotway favorite, Panasonic NCR18650GA!)

Unfortunately, I think part of the selection is also because of cost and supply as well.

Samsung%20INR21700-50E%205000mAh%20(Cyan)-Capacity.png

Molicel%20INR21700-P42A%204200mAh%20(Gray)-Capacity.png

• Like 3

Remember that high end EUCs use 24s packs nowadays - 100V, that means you need only half the Amperes/current for the same power than if you used a 12 s pack. And apparently 28s packs with 117V and 30s packs with 126V are already in the works.

• Like 2