V10F just delivered.. First EUC + Chicway Warning PSA

WildEUC

Hey all been lurking these forums for years but not very social online usually.  

Just got my V10f delivered, noticed a few things and I am not sure...

First and foremost, the "current" on EUC world and inmotion app show 0.0a when charging...however it shows voltage and appears to be charging ( just pretty slowly?)

Second, are there multiple iterations of V10f that come with different pedal types? Mine came with skateboard type grip tape and not the rubber that people seemed to complain about.  So not sure what gives with that... 

Aso, I can't find where to check battery pack detailed health information in either app? But the charging current showing 0.0 has me worried.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Edited by WildEUC
  • Like 1

The inmotion app show the current delivered to the motor, not the charging current.
You should be happy to have this kind of skateboard grip on pedals because the rubber ones were a nightmare in case of rain.

• Like 1

EUC world shows  voltage when plugged in but the "current" section on live data still shows 0.0a so didn't know if that was normal?

And I just thought it was odd the pedals were different as I hadn't seen that mentioned or advertised elsewhere.

1 hour ago, WildEUC said:

EUC world shows  voltage when plugged in but the "current" section on live data still shows 0.0a so didn't know if that was normal?

And I just thought it was odd the pedals were different as I hadn't seen that mentioned or advertised elsewhere.

The current is not charging current. It is usage current. If you are sitting still you are not using current. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gorcsi said:

The V10f manufactured after 2020 sommer coming with the updated pedals with grip tape. They are much better. Not only the grip tape but the condtruction is more stable. Old pedals broke for some people.

This kind of summary drops the broader context. Prior to 3"-wide tires or suspension wheels, the original V10F had arguably the highest ride quality of any EUC from its time, largely due to the ingenious design of its original honeycomb-framed pedals filled with plush rubber insets.

Yes, while those insets had perfectly fine traction when dry, they weren't great when wet. And yes, the original honeycomb design proved to have structural problems due to the thinness of its ribbing in certain places particularly for overweight western ridership and/or those doing curb drops and other high-impact riding.

The pedal revision does resolve these two issues and thus it is 'better', but not because the originals were bad--in fact they still deserve a lot of praise for what was an innovative design. Fortunately now we've found other ways to improve ride quality (like 3"-wide tires and suspensions), such that subsequent InMotion wheels can rely on those things to provide great ride quality while reverting to simpler, comfort-wise-inferior-but-structurally-and-traction-wise-superior designs.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the great info.  

Is it safe to assume if I have the pedal revision I should also have the water ingress fix already done? There was a lot of mixed information but it sounded like sometime in 2019 they started shipping them with the protective case and better sealing? I'd rather not open it up to check until I need to...

It has a QC stamp of 6/2020 so I guess it's a relatively new one, but also leads me to believe it sat in a warehouse for a year or more not being charged (bad for batteries?). It was at 0% and would not power on until plugged in a few minutes.  

And no I have not had a chance to ride it yet, they forgot to ship my protective cover and I am paranoid to drop it early on and bang it up coverless.

33 minutes ago, WildEUC said:

Thanks for all the great info.  

Is it safe to assume if I have the pedal revision I should also have the water ingress fix already done? There was a lot of mixed information but it sounded like sometime in 2019 they started shipping them with the protective case and better sealing? I'd rather not open it up to check until I need to...

It has a QC stamp of 6/2020 so I guess it's a relatively new one, but also leads me to believe it sat in a warehouse for a year or more not being charged (bad for batteries?). It was at 0% and would not power on until plugged in a few minutes.  

And no I have not had a chance to ride it yet, they forgot to ship my protective cover and I am paranoid to drop it early on and bang it up coverless.

Yeah, you should have zero problems there. There was an issue with the first batches of the V10's that was quickly resolved years ago, and by now the V10's waterproofing essentially matches that of the V8 series which are some of the most waterproof wheels available from any brand.

• Like 1

Nothing to be concerned with regarding the battery being fully dead and it sitting for over a year? (Based on QC stamp date?) 

It's charging super slowly, also have to use a friend's charger as the one included was getting incredibly hot almost instantly and taking an hour to go up 1%, if any at all.  Has me worried about the battery health.  

Friends charger going a little faster and not as hot, but still a 1.5a charger so I have just now got it to 75% battery. I don't like charging unattended, didn't realize it would be THIS slow though.

Your battery has perhaps suffered from having stayed discharged for a long time. This is the worst thing that can happen to a Li-Ion battery. But chances are good that it recovers after a few charge/discharge cycles.
A few hours are normally sufficient to charge the battery with a 1.5A charger. For the first time, you can let the charger operate after the full charge because a component, named Battery Management System (BMS), needs power for a long time to balance the battery cells.

Anyway, if your reach full charge, you can start enjoying your wheel. For my part, at the very beginning, I wrapped it with many meters of cellophane paper to protect the body against scratches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WildEUC said:

It's charging super slowly, also have to use a friend's charger as the one included was getting incredibly hot almost instantly and taking an hour to go up 1%, if any at all.  Has me worried about the battery health.  

Friends charger going a little faster and not as hot, but still a 1.5a charger so I have just now got it to 75% battery. I don't like charging unattended, didn't realize it would be THIS slow though.

You should return the wheel - seems the battery is quite dead/deteriorated.

Why take bad batteries for the full price!

• Like 3

So funny story and I guess this should also become a PSA regarding Chicway...and also, not sure how to proceed...

Against my better judgement this came from Chicway, which totally makes sense that it was old and sitting so long.  My mistake, but I wanted to learn ASAP and ewheels/all other US based retailers didn't have V10F available before the end of summer.  

So I gambled on chicway after speaking with two reps of the company online for quite some time.  Looking back, most of it was lies and false promises.  I also paid with PayPal, assuming it was safe...wrong..

So the only positive thing I can say is I did receive the wheel in 6 days from when I ordered.  Not bad at all for shipping speed, but the wheel was far less than perfect, bad charger, (actually had scratches) and the battery was sitting dead for 14 months.

Filed claim with PayPal, gave all info, and very quickly received a full refund offer - HOWEVER, only after I mail them back the wheel to China...at my expense fully, and that's when it was shipped from Chicago IL.  Shipping the wheel back with tracking and insurance seems like it will be $500+.

Makes absolutely no sense, I've been back and forth with PayPal and they side with Chicway 100%.

I did a lot of research and seems this is a very very common China/PayPal scam.  

Serves me right for using Chicway to save a little bit of time and money...not really sure how to proceed.  

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Absolutely return it. If the battery isn't healthy, it poses a safety hazard and increases the likelihood of a catastrophic battery failure, complete with sparks and flames. Send it back.

Well that's reassuring...

Slightly terrifying since I'm on a mid level apartment with no real "safe" place to put it if that happened.  Making me very paranoid.  

Wondering if a not so perfect solution is to construct a fully enclosable wooden box with a handle on it to store an EUC in.

A lithium fire would probably easily destroy the box, but it might provide enough time and shielding to be able to escape, or pick up the box and toss it out the window/balcony to prevent it burning an apartment down.

Maybe also cover the box with a fire blanket.

Contain any potential fire for as long as possible.

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1

• WildEUC changed the title to V10F just delivered.. First EUC + Chicway Warning PSA

Look up battery university, they have good explanations about what happens when Li-ion is over discharged.

I would maybe stick it in the tub? (don’t accidentally turn the shower on, that won’t help!) It didn’t catch fire yet, and it may never do so, but I’d get it back to Chicway and get your money back because I wouldn’t trust it.

It might be fine too… but since it’s spent time fully discharged, in my opinion, and it’s only an opinion, it has been abused and is unsuitable for use.

Edited by Tawpie

Rare events, but if an EUC does catch on fire, the extreme heat of a lithium battery fire is incredibly difficult to extinguish.  Toxic smoke also very hazardous.

Fire events include:

EUCO dealership warehouse destroyed by EUC fire.

Ewheels dealership fire from an EUC shipment.

Portland Oregon EUC fire in an apartment.

EUC fire in the trunk of a car whilst travelling on a highway.

Other known EUC fires recorded/documented on youtube videos.  Just do a simple search like "EUC fire" on youtube.

Various youtubers/community members have previously discussed prevention/mitigation strategies like storage, sand bags, fire blankets, extinguishers, fire proof boxes, passive self deploying fire extinguisher balls, etc.

Rare event, but need to be aware of.

Here is a link to a video by WrongWay from January 13, 2021.

Some other videos.

I am well aware of the fires that have happened and what they can do.  As far as I was aware, none had caught fire solely from being drained to zero and then used as normal?  So I didn't know that on its own was a concern for fire.

There's no way I can afford an extra $500 to ship this thing.  

Does it make any difference that it eventually did get to 84v?