V8F tire pressure - revisited

rcgldr

The V8F is now using a Chao Yang tire (instead of a Kenda)l. Being a beginner, I've been running pressure at 35 psi. I tried 37 psi, but at that pressure, I was feeling the seams in the long and wide concrete pathway I use, so I lowered pressure back to 35 psi.

Edited by rcgldr

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, OneLeg said:

you mean you feel the wheel pull when you go over pavement seams?

Some of the cement slabs on that bike trail have slightly vertically unaligned expansion seams (about 1/4 to 3/8 inch), making for a somewhat bumpy ride. Some of the bumpy turns can trigger a bit of wobble, but bending the legs more at the knees on the problem sections solves this. Carving doesn't work since the issue is turning on a bumpy surface. I raised the pressure to 40 psi, as it wasn't making much difference. There's a short video of part of the trail, but it is sped up a bit, making the camera shake due to those bumps seem worse than the trail really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEDNQz_eFk&t=118s

Edited by rcgldr

your tire pressure is too high for your weight.... drop it 37psi.... How much do you weigh 160lbs? Yes have to bend knees on bumpy areas, but a chao yang tire can take a lot of that away... also the impact to your legs which will tire you out.

On a V8 if you are not breaking, you shouldn't get wobbles. Sorry to me it is a strength issue... When i started to ride I used to get lots of wobbles.... I now rarely do.

22 hours ago, OneLeg said:

your tire pressure is too high for your weight.... drop it 37psi.... How much do you weigh 160lbs? Yes have to bend knees on bumpy areas, but a chao yang tire can take a lot of that away... also the impact to your legs which will tire you out. On a V8 if you are not breaking, you shouldn't get wobbles. Sorry to me it is a strength issue... When i started to ride I used to get lots of wobbles.... I now rarely do.

I weigh about 190 lbs (86 kg). The problem sections are bumpy areas in turns. This essentially results in "bumpy" lateral (sideways) loads on the tire, which can induce wobbles. It's the bumpy turns where I find bending the knees seems to prevent any wobbles. The bumpy straights are not an issue.  I'm at 235 miles on the V8F now.