Kingsong 18L/18XL Tire Discussion

Amarucide

I was hoping to start a conversation and ask what rides with this wheel has been doing when their tire is worn out?
I just bought a used 18XL with 1800km on it so far, and the tire seems quite worn out

just wondering how long the wheel it came with lasted other people and what did they replace it with?

I ride paved roads and pathways, sometimes sidewalk so I don't think Knobby one is necessary.

What are reliable or high end brand tires you've put on this thus far? and how have they fared? 

• Like 1

I've been saying I need to change my tire on my 18L for about a year, and keep putting it off. I keep an eye on the center bald area and inspect it daily or weekly...and so far no signs of it wearing through. This week, it has about 3100 miles on it (about 3 years of 5-10 miles per day average).

Keep in mind I have changed the tube 1 or 2 times already in the first year I had it.

My tire has been bald in the middle for about a year, and it is amazing how tough these things are. 

• Like 2

good to know, I want to start looking for a spare/replacement, and maybe some tubes too. how hard is it to change a tire? my local shop which is more than an hour away said it would take 2 hours to service @ $45/h

what have you guys been buying, where have you guys been buying?

It is not hard to do at all.

Also, rubber degrades even if it just sits on a shelf.

Car tyres have the date of manufacture stamped onto the side wall, usually a four digit code that denotes the month and year of production batch.

Maximum shelf life of around ten years.

No production date stamp on the Chao Yang EUC tyre.

Might be better to buy a 'fresh' tyre when needed, rather than storing a tyre and having it degrade.

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

For a professional, or someone experienced, I would expect an hour would be enough...

the guy from SmartWheel said 2 hours professionally. when I looked at a youtube video.. I felt like I could do it with the proper tools within an hour or less 

I changed the tire and 2 tubes on my 16S , and the 18L is very similar. In fact the 16S tire was very tight on the hub compared to the 18L. The 18L is very loose...I could pull the tire off without a tool, in fact after I changed my tube the first time on the 18L I found I did not have the tire sitting evenly, so I was getting a wobbly ride. Had to deflate tube and reseat tire.

Basically, you have a bunch of screws to take the shells off. Then disconnect the battery, then a few bolts to take one side of a foot pedal off, then you can take the tire/tube off (I might have missed something, but that's the basic idea). Yes, for experts it should be about an hour, but I tend to take my time and rewatch a demo video and it takes about 90 mins.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

Well I was hoping to find where to get a tire for 18xl I been having no luck and which tire to get... 

Amazon, EBay and AliExpress are the obvious choices. 18x2.5” tires may be really difficult to find anywhere else.

The 18XL has had a few different original tire models, one of which is the CST C-1488. Chao Yang has several decent tires, though I’m not sure which ones are available at that size, but fe. H-666, H-5167, and H-5146. The H-5102 was a factory installed at one point, but it has such a lousy grip that I wouldn’t recommend it. Kenda also has a few great ones, but I don’t remember the model numbers.

CST C-1488 i had it originally. Bought also H-5102 as spare.. (Didn't use it at the end - to "slick")

Now i have real M/C tire: K66 80/80-14 (Cutted side knobs) Got it down from 76mm wide to 66mm. So much better grip than 1488. Was well worth cutting the sides. It was very easy to cut - simply box knife and 1hr of your time. I precutted the tire before instaling it, so it was very easy.

Whole tire diameter is 48Cm right on mark. So it should even fit regular 18l/18xl. (Non lifted.) Highly recommend it. (I personally will get 80/90-14 next time - i got space for it. Thanks to little bit modding.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

What about going tubeless??? That would cut down the damn tube change from a stupid thumbtack... 

Not worth the "hassle". Because rim isn't made for "tubeless". You would need to glues, etc.. Tire to rim or something, so it doesn't leak air.