SOFT mode and HOW to ride technique explained by CHRIS YIM

Ronin Ryder

I think this technique would get more attention if there was video documentation of an actual side by side comparison with a rider using pads. No offense to the video creator but I am not really buying the "I can't go full speed because then the camera man would lose me" reasoning...what about a chest or helmet mounted cam, or grab one of the faster riders in NYC that uses pads?

If we can get a video of a drag race between a pad-less rider using this technique vs a very experienced rider using pads, and do the same comparison on emergency braking and carving, and maybe even a timed lap race, then we will get a better understanding of the advantages/disadvantages for each style.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Planemo said:

'Tight' pads also reduce flexibility in the legs/knees in general which again leads to laziness in keeping the wheel 'detached' from anything other than the feet. This will present problems with unseen potholes/bumps and again I fear that we will see more riders coming off due to lack of bump absorption that pads tend to lend themselves to.

None of the above applies to the hardcore off-roaders/jumpers of course where pads can indeed help or in fact are imperative :)

Yeah, some of the NYC guys were passing around stories of heavily locked in pad riders (not sure if they were NYC riders) where pads locked the riders in so much that they couldn't dismount from the wheel, and ended up shattering various parts of their legs. I cringe every time I hear one of those, EUC you gotta be able to eject from the wheel on a fall.

14 hours ago, Planemo said:

None of the above applies to the hardcore off-roaders/jumpers of course where pads can indeed help or in fact are imperative :)

Yes, jumping is the true use case I see where some kind of protrusion to help tug the wheel up is valid to me, albeit, so long as it's something lower near the ankles, so it doesn't restrict the higher parts of the leg from clearing the shell.

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Grabbing the wheel would be done by muscle, yes, but it doesn’t offer any acceleration or braking in itself. All the acceleration or braking force would still come from the force the rider is able to tilt the wheel forward/backward. You can’t use muscle for that, since any part you can touch is of the same solid structure.

As an example, no matter how hard you tense your muscles and push the ground downwards, the force you are able to create is always the same as being completely relaxed.

So, when you're at the edges of that accel lean, hard mode and pads is pushing you back much harder, to the point that if you are not grabbing the onto the pads to hold position, then you are not increasing force to increase the accel, hence what I mean by muscle. That is, unless you are really going face-to-the-floor Michael Jackson.

I have never tried or seen pads that would lock the feet in the way you describe. The pads I use only come in the way of my manoeuverability once my shins reach an angle I would never use otherwise.

My way, I'm creating much greater angles counter to the wheel shell body than what you are thinking, sometimes even pointing my toe almost perpendicularly into the wheel body. And when I say maneuverability, I mean hold near max speed, then cut 90 in one counter steer, not the gradual turns I see most riders do, the kind that loses speed.

I’m not sure how the hospital visit is the pads’ fault though.

I have a whole Facebook saved library of them, if you want me to share ;) They're copying that ridiculous pad + Michael Jackson lean that many of the YouTubers show in their vids.

The thought of a new rider trying to copy this technique you use (I’ll still say “invented” ;)) instead in order to be able to accelerate very fast, doesn’t paint a very good picture. An inexperienced rider is an inexperienced rider, and one trying to accelerate fast is a crash waiting to happen, pads or not.

The inexperienced rider simply cannot day 1 accelerate, probably maneuver even, my way, it's a long and involved learning process / time investment, hence why I don't think it's for everyone, and not many will adopt it. But getting into trouble necessitates they can gain speed day 1, which you can do with pads, but not my way.

What changed though is that the available motor power increased about tenfold, and riding speed got tripled. It’s not a surprise that in order to utilize that much of extra power requires a different technique or accessories.

This point is fair, but I would argue, there is no real technique offered out there in the EUC world, it's simply slap on some pads, and go face-to-the-ground, wear a full-face and pray you don't hit a bump.

The boring technical dribble is always the one that interests me the most though. Efficacy of entertainment is dependent on so many things, and everybody perceives things differently. Boring technical dribble is constant, no matter how a person feels at the moment. Some days I may feel like I’m riding faster than ever, but the window to the boring technical dribble the riding app always shows how fast I was actually going.

LOL, you don't become a "big popular EUC YouTuber" by offering detailed technical explanations, you get the big subscriber numbers by saying big bold generic statements like "this [insert any wheel] is fast maneuverable and torque-y!" and then go do some big jumps and MJ leans!

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

I do agree with this, and does somewhat go against my 'pads can introduce an overlean situation' as wheels are far stronger now like you say. But all thats really happened is that the goalposts have moved. As you know, overleans are still very possible so all thats really changed is that an overlean scenario now just happens at a higher speed than it may have done years ago without pads.

Again, as you say, an inexperienced rider can overlean whatever wheel they are riding, old/new/with/without pads, but I can't help feeling that lean pads allow the rider to access an overlean far easier. More importantly, at speeds far higher than 5 years ago.

As you may have guessed, seeing new riders fitting huge lean pads to Shermans/RS19 HS etc scares me somewhat.

That's the thing, the point of soft mode (to me at least) is that you can get the same power output with lesser effort. @chulander described it very well once to me that after getting used to soft mode tuning, hard mode wheels feel like cars where there is no power steering, you have to muscle the whole weight of the car with each steering wheel rotation, which makes no sense when they can tune the FW in a way where a small effortless "steering wheel turn" equals the same power output. On long group rides, I simply don't have nearly the amount of foot fatigue I used to have on hard mode as a newer rider.

Also, even with higher power motors, overlean is very much still real, because you can ride the wheel down to near 0% battery, and any wheel sub 30% is much weaker and susceptible to overlean than it is at 50% and above, as @mrelwood describes with the rider friend.

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

Not quite fair to say that tiltback is the only prevention. The GW 80% alarm (which as you know cant be turned off) is perfectly suitable. If he didn't hear them (or rode through them) thats his own fault.

@mrelwood

All our speed guys here in NYC are well aware of the inability to hear a buzzer, any and every wheel, at max speed, and Gotway/Veteran are really the only wheels that this comes into play, going fast enough where the air/wind/audio leakage obscures the buzzer alarm (although Veteran can program a much higher tailback than crappy Gotway 48kph tiltback), so I think you have to ride accordingly, esp when we live in the day that there's stuff like DarknessBot and EUC World, where you can set a custom alarm and hear it through a bluetooth earpiece.

41 minutes ago, conecones said:

I think this technique would get more attention if there was video documentation of an actual side by side comparison with a rider using pads. No offense to the video creator but I am not really buying the "I can't go full speed because then the camera man would lose me" reasoning...what about a chest or helmet mounted cam, or grab one of the faster riders in NYC that uses pads?

If we can get a video of a drag race between a pad-less rider using this technique vs a very experienced rider using pads, and do the same comparison on emergency braking and carving, and maybe even a timed lap race, then we will get a better understanding of the advantages/disadvantages for each style.

LOL, you want all this, when anytime an "NYC drag race" becomes a venomous point of contention with the majority of this EUC forum, and generates death threats, the content creator basically gets crucified on social media? That sounds exhausting to me having to get hit with all the safety arguments and much more contentious vitriol, stuff I've already been through in the anti-NYC arguments.

Sorry, I'm not going through all that to satisfy you as a backseat quarterback watcher, especially considering, as I've already said, I completely expect most not to believe me, hence there is no video of my own (yet) on my own technique here (BTW, I am not the content creator, I am only the one on camera here).

The reason I don't have my own video of this, is exactly because of naysaying like this: I know mine would have to be much more thorough, to cover all angles of doubt. This video only exists because @Ronin Ryder wanted to make one, and I obliged because he is a nice guy, and had genuine interest.

And BTW, chest / helmet mounted cam isn't gonna show a whole lot, I've tried this, there's no good frame of reference, and action cams in general do not get a very accurate feel of speed due to the fisheye-ness of the lens.

Edited by houseofjob

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

LOL, you want all this, when anytime an "NYC drag race" becomes a venomous point of contention with the majority of this EUC forum, and generates death threats at the content creator? That sounds exhausting to me having to get hit with all the safety arguments and much more contentious vitriol, stuff I've already been through in the anti-NYC arguments.

Sorry, I'm not going through all that to satisfy you as a backseat quarterback watcher, especially considering, as I've already said, I completely expect most not to believe me, hence there is no video of my own (yet) on my own technique here (BTW, I am not the content creator, I am only the one on camera here).

The reason I don't have my own video of this, is exactly because of naysaying like this: I know mine would have to be much more thorough, to cover all angles of doubt. This video only exists because @Ronin Ryder wanted to make one, and I obliged because of his genuine interest.

And BTW, chest / helmet mounted cam isn't gonna show a whole lot, I've tried this, there's no good frame of reference, and action cams in general do not get a very accurate feel of speed due to the fisheye-ness of the lens.

I'm just making the suggestion that a simple video comparison with a pad rider (testing basic parameters like acceleration, braking..etc.) would be much easier to understand for us commoners who haven't been exposed to this riding technique. This is no doubt hard to explain in words as I can see your struggles to find the right words/examples while demonstrating on flat ground.

Again, these are only suggestions and not directed at you but more to the video maker. Personally I don't see how its that difficult or harmful to grab a buddy and race down an empty street (like in some industrial zone) just for the sake of very easily proving a point without having to go to the lengths of providing a highly scientific explanation. I've done the same kind of test for myself when testing out modes on new wheels.

45 minutes ago, conecones said:

Personally I don't see how its that difficult or harmful to grab a buddy and race down an empty street (like in some industrial zone) just for the sake of very easily proving a point without having to go to the lengths of providing a highly scientific explanation. I've done the same kind of test for myself when testing out modes on new wheels.

We live in NYC, there is no such thing as an empty street :lol::lol: why do you think the NYC videos look the way they do?

Edited by houseofjob

1 hour ago, conecones said:

No offense to the video creator but I am not really buying the "I can't go full speed because then the camera man would lose me" reasoning...what about a chest or helmet mounted cam, or grab one of the faster riders in NYC that uses pads?

No offense too, but respectfully, if you "don't buy it", i couldn't care less. I already spent hours making this video, and took the time to post extra infos on this topic. If you don't believe me too bad :whistling:. I'm not trying to convince desperately anyone. Thank you 😂

I'm just making the suggestion that a simple video comparison with a pad rider (testing basic parameters like acceleration, braking..etc.) would be much easier to understand for us commoners who haven't been exposed to this riding technique.

You can also take your euc and experiment by yourself (the basics of the technique are ALL in the video) and take your own conclusions, without asking me to make another video so that you can decide. I think it will be more efficient :)

Yeah, some of the NYC guys were passing around stories of heavily locked in pad riders (not sure if they were NYC riders) where pads locked the riders in so much that they couldn't dismount from the wheel, and ended up shattering various parts of their legs. I cringe every time I hear one of those, EUC you gotta be able to eject from the wheel on a fall.

Yeah its called Knee torn acl, an injury that will impact you potentially for life. I heard stories too of riders in NY and Miami who got this issue and each time i asked they were locked in Clark pads.

This video only exists because @Ronin Ryder wanted to make one, and I obliged because he is a nice guy, and had genuine interest.

Thank you @houseofjob. Im very satisfied with the end result and overall i must say there is a general positive feedback on it. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, conecones said:

I mean you’ve got a point on the races. Maybe I should make Chris’ video for him. When I was making this video, I realized that the only way to gain an appreciation for what I’m doing is if I showcase drag races in comparison along with illustrated points on technique. 

Something similar to this style would go a long way into showcasing the superiority of Chris’ technique…. Or lack thereof 🤔

• Like 1

I mean you’ve got a point on the races. 

i don't really understand why we are talking about racing. It was never implied that a rider could become the fastest with that technique, at any moment in the video or in posts here. I just said he was going fast (fast enough for riding in manhattan), which you can already see bits in the video,at 17:09 for example. Again, if that's not enough, too bad:whistling:! It was never my intention to make a video about riders going very fast (for obvious reasons, i wouldnt have made the video otherwise), but only to showcase >another< way of riding an EUC, that uses soft mode and doesn't use pads.

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I mean you’ve got a point on the races. Maybe I should make Chris’ video for him. When I was making this video, I realized that the only way to gain an appreciation for what I’m doing is if I showcase drag races in comparison along with illustrated points on technique. 

Something similar to this style would go a long way into showcasing the superiority of Chris’ technique…. Or lack thereof 🤔

LOL, it’s a nice video, but you’re racing what seems like a less skilled rider, not sure what this proves. I’m sure you would smoke him in a foot race too, I mean you are an Olympian :lol:

Edited by houseofjob

3 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

i don't really understand why we are talking about racing. It was never implied that a rider could become the fastest with that technique, at any moment in the video or in posts here. I just said he was going fast (fast enough for riding in manhattan), which you can already see bits in the video,at 17:09 for example. Again, if that's not enough, too bad:whistling:! It was never my intention to make a video about riders going very fast (for obvious reasons, i wouldnt have made the video otherwise), but only to showcase >another< way of riding an EUC, that uses soft mode and doesn't use pads.

How can you not be talking about racing? What’s the point of hyping up a supposedly fast technique that you allegedly can’t even keep on the screen to record, and then fail to show objective comparisons to vs a normal rider. You NEED comparisons via racing to showcase not only superiority vs average technique, but to help explain what you’re doing that the other person isn’t that is working so much better. 

if I made that starts video with no comparisons/races not a single damn person would believe it does anything to help with acceleration. 

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

LOL, it’s a nice video, but you’re racing what seems like a less skilled rider, not sure what this proves

Not sure what you mean. Of course he’s less skilled, I literally invented the more skilled technique. And I’m not sure how you can judge skill on a starts video. Literally every rider I see has a terrible start. Look at the NYC drag race videos and not a single one of those guys (even the winner) has a clue how to start an EUC (besides Tishawn but he was on a Monster). Going laterally and not straight, not extending , etc etc. But yet some of them are elite riders once on the EUC.

Also interesting to note that weight dramatically effects acceleration as proven in the video. That teenage boy that won accelerated the same wheel in the finals dramatically faster with the same technique. And in my video the rider I went against was almost 50lb lighter then me. Not to mention you can see Tishawn utilizes almost the same technique I’m preaching about.  

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

I guess what seperates my video/style from your own @houseofjobis my video is not trying to teach a new way. It’s simply showcasing cleaned up, highly efficient mechanics that everyone can benefit from no matter the wheel or mode. 

It’s like I’m explaining proper arm and leg mechanics in sprinting for efficiency in going faster, while you are trying to invent the “drive phase” for acceleration. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

In viewing the original video by Ronin/Chris (well done by the way), seemed like the point was a technique for acceleration that they viewed as also having stability. Maybe interpreting wrong but seems incomplete to focus only on speed, as much as how it combined with stability. Not weighing in here, just attempting to sum up the message as I saw it.

I dunno if connected directly or not, but one thing that I have noticed in learning over past year or so, is that there seems to be a stability benefit to always having diagonal cross tension with one foot pushing down forward (forefoot), and one pushing down backwards (heel). I have not been alternating back and forth with any rhythm for acceleration purposes, but tends to depend on camber of road. Cuious for those with more experience would support (or not) a view on how that diagonal cross tension plays into stability. Maybe even helping avoid wobbles. Or maybe all just in my head....in no way trying to suggest expertise on my part.

Edited by GPW
typos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Not sure what you mean. Of course he’s less skilled, I literally invented the more skilled technique. And I’m not sure how you can judge skill on a starts video.

I'm saying, I could take a deliberately slower rider and "drag race" him off the start lines to try to make a point that looks in my favor. I don't know if he's skilled or not, I don't know who he is, period, is the point. (I only bring this up because you linked your video here)

This isn't a great controlled condition demo I'm saying. My version of a controlled demonstration of technique vs technique would controlled conditions, similar motor power wheels, ideally same diameter tires, set measured distance, same battery percentage, same bodyweight, and a test of individual time trial, so it's not about human vs human (I will readily tell anyone I am not the "fastest rider", that goes to guys with more risk profile than myself), it's purely technique vs technique.

Literally every rider I see has a terrible start. Look at the NYC drag race videos and not a single one of those guys (even the winner) has a clue how to start an EUC (besides Tishawn but he was on a Monster). Going laterally and not straight, not extending , etc etc. But yet some of them are elite riders once on the EUC.

I'm not sure you caught on, on our past exchanges: I actually agree with you now on this point (at the beginning, I might not have, but with more thought, I agree). The starting technique you do, the fundamental idea of tension initiated prior to mount, I actually agree with you on, catching on from your original idea here on the forums and from your video. It is way faster to have the wheel in a state of acceleration tension, off the bat even before you mount it, albeit I would modify your version sans pads.

Also interesting to note that weight dramatically effects acceleration as proven in the video. That teenage boy that won accelerated the same wheel in the finals dramatically faster with the same technique. And in my video the rider I went against was almost 50lb lighter then me. 

LOL teenage boy. Yes, he goes face to the floor, and I think he would beat anyone really, me included. But not by enough to merit the dangers of faceplate on unseen surface, which is more the point of my every argument. Again, face-to-the-floor Michael Jackson lean and seated riding will trump any soft/hard/pad/no-pad standing technique IMHO, but the former MJ way is not sustainable to me.

Not to mention you can see Tishawn utilizes almost the same technique I’m preaching about. 

If you're talking about the start off thing, yes, but you probably do it more effectively, having gone down that rabbit hole.

If you're talking about T's overall riding, not so much, T rides only padless and soft mode, I know this for a fact: he's the one that unintentionally influenced me into all this after all.

I guess what seperates my video/style from your own @houseofjobis my video is not trying to teach a new way. It’s simply showcasing cleaned up, highly efficient mechanics that everyone can benefit from no matter the wheel or mode. 

It’s like I’m explaining proper arm and leg mechanics in sprinting for efficiency in going faster, while you are trying to invent the “drive phase” for acceleration. 

Yes, your video is more about that start off, which again, I agree, this is very smart. 

"Mine", or what would be my video, is not about start off, it's about once the rider is in motion. I might have said in the past on these forums my way from rest would be better, but thinking more about it, your way is probably best, and I would use a padless version of it off the blocks, then transition into the soft mode stuff I normally do, which I do still think is more net force input on the wheel while in-motion.

41 minutes ago, GPW said:

In viewing the original video by Ronin/Chris (well done by the way), seemed like the point was a technique for acceleration that they viewed as also having stability. Maybe interpreting wrong but seems incomplete to focus on speed, as much as how it combined with stability. Not weighing in here, just attempting to sum up the message as I saw it.

This is correct, @Ronin Ryder's video was not really about acceleration for pure max speed acceleration, it was as you say accel + stability.

I think guys are concentrating on the speed/accel part because myself, I've commented that my way imparts better/more net force for better acceleration, without need for combining any muscle demand, which I still maintain.

41 minutes ago, GPW said:

I dunno if connected directly or not, but one thing that I have noticed in learning over past year or so, is that there seems to be a stability benefit to always having diagonal cross tension with one foot pushing down forward (forefoot), and one pushing down backwards (heel). I have not been alternating back and forth with any rhythm for acceleration purposes, but tends to depend on camber of road. Cuious for those with more experience would support (or not) a view on how that diagonal cross tension plays into stability. Maybe even helping avoid wobbles. Or maybe all just in my head....in no way trying to suggest expertise on my part.

Yes! This is one of the premises to my thesis, weight should be held diagonally across the pedals, heel of one foot + front ball of other foot, never foot front balls together or heels together. It has implications with wobbles, lean force, all of that.

And I alternate only for need (more accel on demand, carve combined with not losing relative speed, etc.), so I will hold just one side (as you write here) if the conditions do not call for the alternation (chill or slower riding, or just holding same speed). The alternation in the video is more to demonstrate the whole thing. 

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

Even if you can pump an EUC by weaving side to side, similar to doing pumps on a long skateboard or tic tacs to propel a regular skateboard, it's not clear to me how the software in an EUC will respond to this. The software could interpret this as going downhill and|or the rider leaning less forwards, in which case it may limit the acceleration.

Seems much of this is a moot point, since in the video, there is a complaint that newer wheels soft pedal setting is not as soft as older wheels, making this riding style more difficult.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

How can you not be talking about racing? What’s the point of hyping up a supposedly fast technique that you allegedly can’t even keep on the screen to record, and then fail to show objective comparisons to vs a normal rider. You NEED comparisons via racing to showcase not only superiority vs average technique, but to help explain what you’re doing that the other person isn’t that is working so much better. 

This is where you are mistaken. I wasnt hyping anything. I just said i struggled to film him at the beginning (and mostly because i wasnt used to film other people with the right angle and ride at the same time). If you understood that i was hyping it up or pretending this was the fastest or superior technique, then im sorry for not being clear. Im just trying here to showcase a different style of riding, without saying its superior to any other techniques.  Also have you seen how nyc riders are crucified online when they display fast riding on youtube? No thank you, no racing of any sort in any video for me. Hope this clarifies once for allB).

In viewing the original video by Ronin/Chris (well done by the way), seemed like the point was a technique for acceleration that they viewed as also having stability. Maybe interpreting wrong but seems incomplete to focus only on speed, as much as how it combined with stability. Not weighing in here, just attempting to sum up the message as I saw it.

Thank you sir, that's exactly that:w00t2:.

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

Even if you can pump an EUC by weaving side to side, similar to doing pumps on a long skateboard or tic tacs to propel a regular skateboard, it's not clear to me how the software in an EUC will respond to this. The software could interpret this as going downhill and|or the rider leaning less forwards, in which case it may limit the acceleration.

Seems much of this is a moot point, since in the video, there is a complaint that newer wheels soft pedal setting is not as soft as older wheels, making this riding style more difficult.

Skateboards have four wheels and are not locomotive via gyroscopic response, it's much different than this.

It's more about the mode input response being softer, and how you orient the body lean force. Instead of pushing on a relatively immovable brick wall (hard mode pedals), it feels more similar like pulling the resistant cable of a rowing exercise machine, where the tail end no longer has resistance, hence the alternation / retake. The premise is that initial "tug/pull" is IMHO a greater force, but you can't just hold it, due to the swing-based input and ending distance, hence again, the alternation.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, houseofjob said:

We've had EUCs more than a half decade before the "pad boom", riding just fine.

Please in the next video show us how you can climb a 2:1 slope (bridge abutment) on an 18" or larger EUC without powerpads.

(Doing so will really help me understand how you milk the power out of a big padless wheel.)

Thx

On 4/12/2020 at 4:10 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Edited by RagingGrandpa

On 8/20/2021 at 3:53 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Please in the next video show us how you can climb a 2:1 slope (bridge abutment) on an 18" or larger EUC without powerpads.

(Doing so will really help me understand how you milk the power out of a big padless wheel.)

Thx

🤷‍♂️

Full heel up going uphill, there are a million China videos of riders doing this on steep inclines pre-pad boom (not really my interest).

But I sense a lot of sarcasm here, so no thanks!

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1