Which EUC to get for commuting 30 miles in Seattle?

I am commuting 15 miles one way in Seattle and want to know which EUC to get. I am mostly considering the Inmotion V11 and V12. Most of my commute is on a greenway so is suspension really that important? If not, I would probably go with the V12. I also like Inmotion because they have IPX5 ratings. Really just want a good quality EUC that will get me to work quickly. Thanks for any advice. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beans said:

I am commuting 15 miles one way in Seattle and want to know which EUC to get. I am mostly considering the Inmotion V11 and V12. Most of my commute is on a greenway so is suspension really that important? If not, I would probably go with the V12. I also like Inmotion because they have IPX5 ratings. Really just want a good quality EUC that will get me to work quickly. Thanks for any advice. 

Also considering the KingSon 16X but I've heard it isn't very good with water. However, I would avoid riding in anything worse than light rain. 

1 hour ago, beans said:

Also considering the KingSon 16X but I've heard it isn't very good with water. However, I would avoid riding in anything worse than light rain. 

I think the 16x has been revised recently to mitigate water ingress. Im sure its not perfect, but I may be tolerable for light water use.

For commuting you want range and reliability and probably speed too… rain hasn’t been an issue for me and my 16x but it hasn’t rained much this summer so it’s a bad data point. The 16x has plenty of range but you’ll want to keep the speed to 25 mph max. It goes faster but it’s not advised! Personally I’d go for a mature design… the V11 may have solved its bearings-and-water problem but who knows—owners I know don’t ride in the wet. The V12 has no real track record yet and the wheel industry doesn’t usually get things right until the third or fourth batch. Have you looked at the Nik+ or AR variant? They’re supposed to be very solid with quite a bit more speed headroom than the 16x.

If you were also off roading I’d only suggest the 16x but since you’ll be on pavement the Nik might work out well!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I'd go for a Kingsong 18XL or the Nikola+. I think the 18XL would be an easier ride for commuting especially on greenways. The Nikola+ offers more speed and faster charging. There is also a Nikola Plus AR which has a much larger battery but obviously it weighs more. All these wheels are very waterproof. The V12 is very new and has a modified hollow motor design. Current hollow motor designs are badly affected by the rain so you're taking a bit of a chance with the V12. If you don't know how to ride then you might find that a 30 mile commute is a very long distance on an EUC, particularly so if you're new to EUCs. You'll also find that these long distance wheels weigh far more than you expect. That means you'll arrive at work knackered until you get used to it. You'll find you'll need to recharge each day whatever wheel you get unless it's the AR. The standard Nikola Plus does offer faster charging (6 hours) compared to the XL (12 hours?), I don't know how long the AR takes to charge.

If it was me I'd go with the AR because I would only need to charge it every couple of days. If I was you I'd go with the Kingsong 18XL. Actually, thinking a little more, I'd probably just ride a motorbike for that distance but then I'm a pussy. YMMV.

Edited by mike_bike_kite
Edit: removed bad info
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

16x is my favorite wheel for commuting to work.  I would choose the V11 and 18xl for long distance riding.  My foot tends to fall asleep when riding the 16x for long periods of time.  I would go with any of the 16" wheels if you're ride to work requires going up and down hills.  I wouldn't ride any wheel in the rain.

I’d throw the Tesla 3, or T3 into consideration. Water resistance is decent with that shell, and as much as I love my NikolAR+ for fast and long range rides, I still love going back every now and then to the lightweight effortless ride feel and zippy torque of the Tesla, which is the one I’d take for commuting. No power pads, special pedals, or any other mods except maybe extra head and tail lights.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 5:00 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

The V12 is very new and has a modified hollow motor design. Current hollow motor designs are badly affected by the rain so you're taking a bit of a chance with the V12

I'm pretty sure the v12 has a standard axle type motor, it's the v11 that has the hollow motor.

• Like 1

I commute to work on my KS16X (batch October 2020) in the rain and quite often, heavy rain. The Achilles' heel of KS16X in rain is the handle switch - water may operate it and cut the motor (yes it happened to me, but the wheel was stationary at the moment). So, you have to disable the switch in the app if you ride in rain, or just cover the top of the wheel with a rubbish bag :-).

I love the torque and maneuverability of the KS16X. So, I would definitely repeat the experience... by buying the V12. :-)

• Like 2