radio control gliders, including 548 mph dynamic soaring video

rcgldr

A hobby of mine. Video of my 8 foot wingspan 3 1/4 lb glider at a slope site (if the wind is blowing from the west, there is an updraft).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge_Ph96n_8Q

Current world record of a glider dynamic soaring,  reaching a radar measured 548 mph. Hard to follow once it's up to speed. Builder and pilot is Spencer Lisenby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eFD_Wj6dhk

Edited by rcgldr
note dynamic soaring video
  • Like 2

• rcgldr changed the title to radio control gliders, including 548 mph dynamic soaring video

I had a primitve one of those. It was foam. Pretty cool, you could tape it in place and let dad hit himself in the back of the head when he wanted to show us kids how to do it. I do think the cat eventually ate it and I was NEVER allowed another. I think yours is a little more involved and damn cool!

22 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I had a primitve one of those. It was foam. Pretty cool, you could tape it in place and let dad hit himself in the back of the head when he wanted to show us kids how to do it. I do think the cat eventually ate it and I was NEVER allowed another. I think yours is a little more involved and damn cool!

My second model glider was a DAW 1-26, made of EPP foam (got it back in 1999). I plan to get a revised version of it. Video of the old one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chafKIQyAMw

The most popular EPP foam models were the combat wings, a 4 foot wing span plank. They were deliberately crashed into each other, with no damage, but if you "landed" you had to walk down the slope to retrieve it and throw it out again. Similar to your dad, one of the locals decided to fly a combat wing just over his head to knock of a soda can he put on his head.  Here is an image of one ballasted up a bit for a heavy wind day:

hvywind.jpg

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Yours must have had some serious glide to need a lug wrench!

The lug wrench combat wing one wasn't mine. It did fly in a 25 mph wind, and very fast with that much weight on it.

Edited by rcgldr
clean up
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Your model is a smaller version of a DAW (Dave's Aircraft Works) 1-26, 71 inch wing span instead of 48 inch wing span.

daw126.jpg

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

Wow, I bet you are right. Tho Im not sure the exact model, as we're talking circa 1983, when I had mine. Just a kid back then, I merely knew that it was an awesome new toy that I could play with by myself. Of course, it only lasted until Dad realized it may be fun. Thats whn I learned to tape the flaps to make it whack him in the head. He has less patience than I, so I did get my plane back. Sadly, the cat found it under the bed and turned it back into packaging peanuts.:wacko:

I have some balsa flyers here still (30+ yrs later). It used to only be glo plugs and nittro, but it seems mine have battereis nowadays. I do think I need get back into flying those things, as it sure was fun. I think I have a Telemaster Micro and a standard telemaster, yet to build, around here somewhere...

Edited by ShanesPlanet