Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EUCinAsia said:

riddle china

=1 pair shoes +5 whistles+2 Toons  (didnt want to give away the answer)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
corrected
  • Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why I "Like" a Post Since I joined this Forum, I have been able to freely communicate with people around the world for the 1st time in my life, mostly about our common enjoyment of the wonderful

Ohhh can we start to pick on the Britts in this thread also? in the bible there is a story where it rained for 40 days. It was described as a disaster. In Enland they call it ”summer”…

Well, if that was the topic, we'd get to 100 pages in no time!

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

=2 shoes +5 whistles+4 Toons  (didnt want to give away the answer)

I don't have a response for that...........

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

More like pretzel sticks.

It would be Leo Jerky after 3 months.

tbf, I had to do a quick google search about lions. I found a story of one nearly starved so much it hadnt the strength to bite thru flesh. I think it was 3-4 weeks tho.

I also had to look it up. They start to starve after a week, get weak after 2 weeks, and pass out before 4 weeks of fasting. I think that was as long as they get to drink about every day.

After a week of fasting they can eat 50kg of meat in one go. So maybe 1 week would fit the original dilemma better.

40 minutes ago, EUCinAsia said:

riddle china

= Skid Row + 1. (Didn’t want to give out the answer either… :lol: )

Edited by mrelwood
3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It would be Leo Jerky after 3 months.

I also had to look it up. They start to starve after a week, get weak after 2 weeks, and pass out before 4 weeks of fasting. I think that was as long as they get to drink about every day.

After a week of fasting they can eat 50kg of meat in one go. So maybe 1 week would fit the original dilemma better.

= Skid Row + 1. (Didn’t want to give out the answer either… :lol: )

I think it's past your bedtime mr. elwood :w00t2:

17 hours ago, Paul A said:

Easier than IKEA.

Here's a NZ version made in the 1930's and folds down into a trailer to be towed by a car . . .

Ly70kA6.jpg

17 minutes ago, Lex Smith said:

Here's a NZ version made in the 1930's and folds down into a trailer to be towed by a car . . .

Ly70kA6.jpg

Shouldnt we be making these things from plastic bottles by now?

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Shouldnt we be making these things from plastic bottles by now?

It's funny . . . for the last couple of decades I keep hearing about all these wonderful uses for recycled plastic but they never seem to reach the market place.  

You are a contestant on a tv game show.

There are three doors in front of you.

Behind one of the doors is the prize of a new car, behind the other two doors is a sack of potatoes.

You pick door number one.

The tv host opens door number two to show a sack of potatoes behind it.

You are given the chance to change your pick and choose door number three instead.

Should you change your pick to door number three?

*Assuming you want to win the car and not a sack of potatoes.

59 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Behind one of the doors is the prize of a new car, behind the other two doors is a sack of potatoes.

You are given the chance to change your pick and choose door number three instead.

Spoiler

Yes, You had 1 in 3. if you switch you have a true 1 in 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Paul A said:

Spoiler

Nope. I watched something about 'let's make a deal' and people tend to change the choice but odds state you are better off not. :lol: 1 in 3 becomes 2 in 3 (better odds than 50/50), if you remove a wrong answer. Dont worry Rocky, I'll give you a ride, you bring the fries.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Solution and explanation to the TV game puzzle.

Video one gives a clear explanation, video two makes the explanation even clearer.

13 minutes ago, Lex Smith said:

I prefer Freedom Fries  :-)

I like Stephen Fry!

On 10/8/2021 at 11:12 PM, Paul A said:

Solution and explanation to the TV game puzzle.

Video one gives a clear explanation, video two makes the explanation even clearer.

Damm you @Paul A  despite watching the videos a part of my brain just couldn't accept the truth of this so I ran a simulation . . . guess I have to accept it now.  Did a 100,000 iterations for each option.

Results for Sticking with Original Door
Wins: 33099
Losses: 66901
Percentage Wins: 33.099

Results for Changing to Remaining Door
Wins: 66469 
Losses: 33531
Percentage Wins: 66.469

17 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

despite watching the videos a part of my brain just couldn't accept

Mine does the same. The way I see it, the first door you choose makes no difference, as the choice doesn’t affect or result to anything, so it shouldn’t take part in the probability calculation. You won’t know whether the car is behind the door or not, until you make the actual choice after the 2nd door is opened. That’s when you choose between the two remaining doors, and two doors only. Of which you obviously have a 50% chance of winning the bag full of fresh and delicious potatoes.

17 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

so I ran a simulation . . .

I guess I’m stubborn enough that I have to do my own as well. :lol:

I can see it. You pick a door with a one in three chance. The host always eliminates one of the doors that you do not want. If you switch it changes your odds from 33.33% to 50%. Keep in mind that the good door is still there. Only a bad door has been removed. It really does not matter what door you picked first. 50% is better than 33.33%

9 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I can see it. You pick a door with a one in three chance. The host always eliminates one of the doors that you do not want. If you switch it changes your odds from 33.33% to 50%. Keep in mind that the good door is still there. Only a bad door has been removed. It really does not matter what door you picked first. 50% is better than 33.33%

The show I watched about it was quite some time ago. I honestly recall them saying that keeping the door was a better chance, tho most people didnt. Maybe my memory has me screwed. It could have been that people WANT to keep the door for some pysho reason, but changing is the better odds? Whatever it was, people did it wrong more often than not.  I too thought changing doors sounds better, but the show I watched told me I was wrong(or its a memory snafu). So... I concede that I have zero idea. Good thing about it... I gots no 3 doors and you'd be a fool to gamble on anything I say..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

But why does your chance of success jump to 66%?  That's what I can't understand even though my simulation proved that is the case.  Mathematics is witchcraft to me.

2 minutes ago, Lex Smith said:

But why does your chance of success jump to 66%?  That's what I can't understand even though my simulation proved that is the case.  Mathematics is witchcraft to me.

I can see the equation in my head yet it would take me a while to  get it on paper. You are shifting from sticking with one in three to switching to one in two so you have parts of both possibilities in the final results. 

I started to wright down the math and it got real simple.

I got it! You keep thinking that you have three choices, You only have two. stick or change. If you stick you have a 33% chance. ......... That is it,  By swamping you get the remaining 66% They removed the other pitfall.  your remaining chance is 66%  You only really have two choices. The actual doors do not play a part in the odds. just stick or swap. 

Edited by RockyTop