S18 loud knocking sound while rocking

Foo Barstein

Hi all,

My 1-month-old S18 makes a loud knocking sound when changing directions rapidly as I rock back and forth and it feels like the wheel shifts very slighly relative to the frame.  eWheels suggested checking the suspension pressure, which I have done to no avail.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

My guess is that either there is additional play in the suspension sliding mechanism, or the bolts that attach the motor to the rest of the EUC are loose.

That second possibility is what scares me!

Edited by Foo Barstein

Sounds like what mrelwood is suggesting. If you haven't already you could place the wheel on its side (turned off) and see if you can feel the play in the wheel or suspension by grabbing it.  Kingsong has great disassembly video's to help you too.  Check out: https://www.youtube.com/c/KingsongIntellCoLtd/videos if you want to deal with it yourself.

• Like 1

@OldFartRides, @The Brahan Seer, @Dreygun - disassembly is perhaps the EUC skill that seems most daunting to a newbie. 

Last night, I re-pumped the pressure in both shock chambers to the max recommended for my category (93kg, 280psi top/sag, 130 bottom/compression), verified it several times, and that loud knock seems to be gone for all but the most vigorous direction changes.  So the pressure hypothesis [thankfully] seems to have been correct.  I'm new to shocks, so it's possible I had not pumped correctly earlier.  There is now a sort of creaking spring noise when I rock that seems much less threatening than the earlier knocking noise.  Disassembly will have to wait... I've been thinking of changing the tire at some point for better off-road grip.

• Like 2

Is it direction changes or the suspension level? Check if shock body collides with the one of the rear screws of the plastic mud guard. In my case this was (one of) unwanted noises of S18 - I had to file the mud guard plastic down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had this exact problem with my s-18.  I ignored it for awhile until one day it made horrendous noises going forward at steady state. 

The wheel had strong resistance to rotating. 

I ended up ordering a new motor (around $300) which comes integral with the rim and axel.  

Swapping that out fixed the issue.  When you take it apart you will see that the slop and clunk you are feeling and hearing can only come from the motor itself or the bearings (which I never took it apart to that level because the new motor has its own new bearings inside)

• Like 1

This is the EXACT noise my S18 made when the internal welds of the axle shaft broke. The noise came on slowly and I wasn't sure if it was firmware issue, but it was the axle twisting back and forth within the motor. 

Eventually,  I was rolling to a stop and the wheel just shut off and fell out from under me. The welds sheared, allowing the axle to twist all the way, cutting and short circuiting all the motor and encoder leads together. 

It fried the motor, the mother board, and a couple of the batteries. 

You should sent it out for warranty repair or request a motor and stop riding it immediately to prevent more damage. 

20210223_164223.jpg

• Like 3

@NErider- thank you!  I had increased the suspension pressure, which made the noise only appear with more rapid changes in direction, but it never went away completely and is now back in full force.  I will contact eWheels again and do as you say!

Edited by Foo Barstein

• 1 month later...