Unitree Robotic dog ($2,700 - $10,000) 8 to 18 Km/h (11mph) max

Bob Eisenman

@OldFartRidesOldFartRides

"Those creep me out.  They will make efficient killers."

https://www.cnet.com/news/nypd-terminates-robot-police-dog-contract-with-boston-dynamics/

Same feeling in NYC for the original Boston Dynamics version

NYPD terminates robot police dog contract with Boston Dynamics

Following criticism over aggressive policing tactics, the NYPD has ended a $94,000 contract with Boston Dynamics to lease a robotic "Digidog."

I was thinking a hands free 360 video platform of a slow moving EUC rider. Plus 'mans best friend' in the digital context.

Fast self balancing is really a major step for (mobile) robotics, allowing for both simpler and more efficient structures. Its been allowing drones for a while, nice to see the quadruped domain getting closer to mass production.

edit: about NYPD and digidog: They probably already used wheeled solutions, its really just the creep factor that got people up in arms.

edit 2: yet less expensive: xiaomi dog, 1500$

Edited by div

• Bob Eisenman changed the title to Unitree Robotic dog ($2,700 - $10,000) 8 to 18 Km/h (11mph) max
14 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Those creep me out.  They will make efficient killers.

@meepmeepmayer

After posting my response about the NYPD contract with Boston Dynamics I got 2 consecutive 'account locked' for 14 minutes warnings.....?

https://ibb.co/sFC1Q7m

The search within the forum feature doesn't even get hits for account locked?

I suppose that since I reset my password yesterday and it might not (yet) have been auto archived by Google for automatic web browser field insertion that the incorrect password might have been used 1x (or more) while logging back on, resulting in some kind of security flag being issued. I deliberately tried using an incorrect password after regaining account access. No account locked warning resulted using an incorrect password.

Sort of a creepy kind of warning.

2 hours ago, shellac said:

everyone should watch the Metalhead episode of Black Mirror

OK.

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

@meepmeepmayer

After posting my response about the NYPD contract with Boston Dynamics I got 2 consecutive 'account locked' for 14 minutes warnings.....

.Dunno.

13 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

@meepmeepmayer

After posting my response about the NYPD contract with Boston Dynamics I got 2 consecutive 'account locked' for 14 minutes warnings.....?

https://ibb.co/sFC1Q7m

The search within the forum feature doesn't even get hits for account locked?

I suppose that since I reset my password yesterday and it might not (yet) have been auto archived by Google for automatic web browser field insertion that the incorrect password might have been used 1x (or more) while logging back on, resulting in some kind of security flag being issued. I deliberately tried using an incorrect password after regaining account access. No account locked warning resulted using an incorrect password.

Never heard of "account locked". There surely is everything ok with your account.

I googled "invision community account locked" and it seems to be a bug (?). People say clearing the browser cache helps.

Your "wrong password" theory is really good, but apparently the error message then is "You have entered an incorrect code too many times and your account is temporarily locked. Please try again later."

Please inform us if you have that problem (or anything else that is strange) again, so we can figure out why that happens. These quality of life issues are important. Thanks:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Your "wrong password" theory is really good, but apparently the error message then is "You have entered an incorrect code too many times and your account is temporarily locked. Please try again later."

Yeah....

Thanks for your comments.

Tech wise I've recently had some issues with hardware I own (created). A desktop I assembled years ago , which runs Vista, seems to have died (motherboard doesn't post). Vista is so old it doesn't really connect properly to the internet with its browser version. Replacing the motherboard is not straightforward because of Vista  security issues etc. and no longer supported OS.

Since I'm sort of chair bound (activity wise) lately, I decided to leap at the opportunity to buy the  $50 Kindle Fire tablet from a store a short bicycle ride away.

I've been playing alot of chess based stuff on chess.com since my foot injury last December. A new chessboard would be worth the $50 alone. Despite much effort my chess ability seems to have leveled off at all levels of participation. An enjoyable twitchTV stream from chess playing Russian sisters called 'TheBelenkaya' (Dina Belenkaya a rated master) provides regular entertainment in addition to the Canadian 'Botezlive' sisters and New York City's 'Gothamchess'. There was a chess tournament held in Sochi recently and some of the twitchTV chess streamers got to meet each other.

'Dina Belenkaya' has a funny YouTube post on blunders in chess.

https://ibb.co/PhBcsCd

While watching a 'twitchtv' streamer broadcast live from Streamfest 2021 in Moscow I came upon the ad for Unitree's robotic dog.

Later I decided to login to the EUC forum on my new Kindle. Since the Kindle auto-enter user/pass storage is Amazon based rather than Android based or Windows browser based my login required knowledge of the password (not visible on my other devices and no log entry of it) I thought I would simply reset the password with a fresh one and logon to the EUC forum for the first time with Kindle. No problem....and the next morning...no problem....but the wham...the account closed warning as described....but not a problem since waiting out the time penalty. Seems weird but that's the sequence of events. Maybe an Amazon password retrieval security issue enters into the picture.

Auto fill logon works now with Kindle's Silk browser.

https://ibb.co/RNH6pTP

And the forum post is seen on Kindle

https://ibb.co/gmFXqH3

At $50 I think I'm at my price point. Even at $2700 for a robotic dog (as compared to Boston Dynamic's Spot price) robotic dogs are strictly a watch on the internet kind of thing.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Serious questions: what practical reason(s) is there to have this robotic dog ?  And is it controller operated or autonomous? What range from the controller/operator does it work? How long per charge?

I’ve not yet found answers to these q’s. Until then, this has to be a novelty (or a Trojan horse).

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:44 PM, Hellkitten said:

What could possibly go right..........?

05124764-AF03-4096-AC94-1AF828C729DA.jpeg

FD5E56E0-A2BC-4FC9-A843-62E7AD48545F.jpeg

The US military tried out similar (tracked) robots years ago in Iraq - the insurgents defeated them by having obviously unarmed women and children walk up to them and throw blankets over them. As long as you dont change the Rules of Engagement to make those people legitimate targets for deadly force such combat robots will be more or less useless.

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

The US military tried out similar (tracked) robots years ago in Iraq - the insurgents defeated them by having obviously unarmed women and children walk up to them and throw blankets over them. As long as you dont change the Rules of Engagement to make those people legitimate targets for deadly force such combat robots will be more or less useless.

Yeah, it’s much harder to get blankets over drones. 

Edited by Hellkitten

• 2 weeks later...