Recommended mods for a brand new Nikola Plus?

JustGR

Upgraded from a Tesla v2 to a Nikola AR+ and was wondering about what modifications I could make to it.

• One of the first things I noticed is that the stock pads (oval) make the wheel fatter and uncomfortable to ride, so I bought some motorcycle tank pads for grip.
  • I also added soft velcro on the sides of the handle slot to give it more friction, as I'm sure I don't want the handle popping out during a crash.
  • Something tells me that I need power pads for wheel torque, as this wheel is harder to get going than the Tesla. Also factory calibration might be a degree forward, which makes things harder, but I'm not sure if I can get a better calibration (aiming for a degree backward instead) without proper tools to ensure leveling.
  • Is there a way to remove the logo on the back to get a proper rear light? Or should I just go for a standalone light strapped to the handle (either battery powered or connected to the wheel itself)
  • I've been told that only the inside of the shell (above the tire) needs waterproofing, along with tape on the power button. Is that all? Any recommendations for waterproofing this wheel in general are welcome. 

On a side note, only got to ride the Nikola AR+ yesterday (been raining all day today) but so far I love it. It checks off all the boxes I had in mind : Higher range, higher top speed (so safer cruising at 30mph), robust shell without water ingress through handle, powerful night lights, broader tire, and stability at high speeds. Might have to pick up chest/shoulder/back protection, now that I'll be travelling at high speeds regularly, so doing my due diligence and weighing my options (either Lazyrolling jackets or motorcycle armor).

Edited by JustGR
Tags

The one mod I have done that I am really happy with is a roll.nz cover. The shell is very slippery as you know and the cover provides just enough grip that I feel secure without making the wheel any fatter. 

The Nik is a nice wheel for sure, tho a bit chunky. I like to think of it as the 'cowboy wheel'.  If you arent a fan of power pads, the RollNZ cover is a nice addition. If you like power pads, I sell some thin ones that arent very obtrusive. No matter how you go about it, I think the Nik is pretty much ready for flight out of the box for sure!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustGR said:

but I'm not sure if I can get a better calibration (aiming for a degree backward instead) without proper tools to ensure leveling.

Get it as close to vertical against a wall as you can, it should just barely be leaning against the wall (important or it will act weird). Then do the calibration using the level tool on a phone on the pedal to get the desired angle. Note: the pedal will be tilting in towards the wall when the wheel is completely vertical because of the V shape of the pedals.

2 hours ago, JustGR said:

Might have to pick up chest/shoulder/back protection

Do it (and use it). I recently made the mistake of not wearing my gear and I crashed. Even falling at 25 without gear sucks.

2 hours ago, JustGR said:

Something tells me that I need power pads for wheel torque

I would recommend it. Not only does it give you access to more power, it's also safer. I almost got thrown off several times and almost fell off the back trying to break hard a few time before I installed power pads.