KingSong 18XL or 16X

Funky

Congrats on the 'new' wheel. One of the greatest things I've found about my 18L/XL.  No need to worry about it. No upgrades needed. Charge it, ride it, charge it ride it.... done and done.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Congrats on the 'new' wheel. One of the greatest things I've found about my 18L/XL.  No need to worry about it. No upgrades needed. Charge it, ride it, charge it ride it.... done and done.

I was lucky and mine came with the RollNZ cover, stock and fast charger, spiked pedals. Nothing needed at all except ride and charge. Thing goes over every crack and bump SO smoothly. Anyone getting an 18XL absolutely won't regret it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mtreload said:

I was lucky and mine came with the RollNZ cover, stock and fast charger, spiked pedals. Nothing needed at all except ride and charge. Thing goes over every crack and bump SO smoothly. Anyone getting an 18XL absolutely won't regret it!

I've never had any inclination to put spikes on the 18XL. I wonder what it does to the comfort of it? I suspect the flat angle of the 18xl pedals is why its so comfy. If spikes are same angle, they are more than likely comfy too. Horses for courses, but i kind of prefer the non-spiked pedals of mine, as it allows me to be uber lazy in mount and dismount. Of course, I ride my 18xl lazily as its not my attack and conquer wheel. I can only imagine spike pedals and power pads would push the wheel into a little more aggressive useage ability.

9 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I've never had any inclination to put spikes on the 18XL. I wonder what it does to the comfort of it? I suspect the flat angle of the 18xl pedals is why its so comfy. If spikes are same angle, they are more than likely comfy too. Horses for courses, but i kind of prefer the non-spiked pedals of mine, as it allows me to be uber lazy in mount and dismount. Of course, I ride my 18xl lazily as its not my attack and conquer wheel. I can only imagine spike pedals and power pads would push the wheel into a little more aggressive useage ability.

I haven't bothered to put the normal pedals on but so far I like the secure feeling of the spiked pedals combined with the Clark Pads it came with. Makes it feel like I'm not going anywhere. Does get a bit annoying if I mount and my foot is placed wrong then I have to dismount and remount. But that's just me being a new rider.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mtreload said:

I haven't bothered to put the normal pedals on but so far I like the secure feeling of the spiked pedals combined with the Clark Pads it came with. Makes it feel like I'm not going anywhere. Does get a bit annoying if I mount and my foot is placed wrong then I have to dismount and remount. But that's just me being a new rider.

This brings up a VERY valid point. I view my 18XL as a loose and lazy rider for comfort and baisc goofing off. This style has led me to using a RollNZ cover and Black big pedals with no other upgrades. However, you seem to approach your 18XL as more of a 'weapon'. A wheel that will readily handle more adverse terrain and you ride with a locked in style. What this really tells me is, the 18XL is kind of a jack of all trades and master of none? What I know for sure is that I'm more than happy with mine and it does what I want. It seems you are also happy with yours, tho what you want from it, may vary slightly.

Practice short one legged riding. It helps you adjust your feet and smooths out mounting. In the very beginning, I tended to kind of 'hop' my weight up a little to adjust the feet. Nowadays its a lock a leg in and adjust the other with precision if need be. I have to be very deliberate about it on my spiked pedal sherman. No wiggling the shoes around, tho I can move my feet inside my shoes some. Riding one legged for a few feet while mounting, allows exact placement and can save your a** if a pedal is accidently closed.

@RockyTop complain? Nah man, we never complain.:blink1:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Congratulations! The learning part is the most rewarding phase. I regret selling my 18XL when I got the V11. Such a nice and reliable cruiser. Now I had to buy a spare wheel as the V11 is waiting for parts and got a good deal on barely used 16X. That one is also very nice, but not quite as nice on longer rides and I have to worry about water. My 18XL served me 8000 km without any major problems and is still in use after 2.5 years. The range also beats many wheels with bigger batteries. And it’s really comfortable. You should be very happy with it. 

• Like 3

I've owned the 16X and multiple 18 XL's and I can say for certain that he 18XL is more stable at higher speeds. 

The 16X is a fun agile zippy wheel BUT it doesn't feel stable to me at any speed it always felt like it was on the edge to me. The 3 inch tire is definitely a nice to have but I do think the ride quality is better on the 18 XL overall. Also the 18 XL has a bigger overall footprint and it's nice and secure feeling where as the 16X always short length wise to me. Oh btw the 18 XL is also really zippy the difference between the 16X and it really isn't much IMO. The difference between the MSX and the 16X on the other handle is significant. I will say that I do WISH that the 18 XL had a 3 inch tire, if it did it would be almost perfect but that's not the case unfortunately. Anyway all that being said, I'd say 18 XL based on your original post. I don't see how you could be unhappy with it. It strikes a nice balance and I'm pretty happy with mine! 

6 minutes ago, Dogmaticjoe said:

just wondering do all new ks18xl come with white inner shell?

New stock... yes.

The standard pedals are also black (not grey), but in the smaller size - unless your reseller specifically orders the larger ones (or is ewheels.com). 

• Like 2

I'm little bit worried, when i start the wheel, or start charging.. It make very loud "Brrrr" sould as there where wire in the fan noise, for about 4secs and stops.

(Loudness wise it's the same as the power up/down, lift up beeps).

Is it really normal? At the store "window model" it din't make that sound. :S

At youtube no wheel at startup made that sound.

• Like 1

Doesnt sound normal. Does it sound like perhaps a teeny tiny computer fan is rubbing on a zip tie? Idr how my fan was, but I do recall it being very small and having wiring around it. Its easy to get to it, but it may void a warranty. Not much going on in a wheel when its simply standing still. If makes same noise when charging, its pretty much GOT to be a fan, as there isnt any gyros active at that time. If it werent for the warranty, I'd have popped the top and moved the offending fan obstruction in less time that typing this response took. Take heart, this is a very minor problem, if i were to guess about it.

Call your vendor and see how they want to proceed. If you do open it, be very ginger in removing the pads and perhaps use a heatgun (lightly). Never use loctite near plastic and be very gentle with the screws.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

I'm little bit worried, when i start the wheel, or start charging.. It make very loud "Brrrr" sould as there where wire in the fan noise, for about 4secs and stops.

(Loudness wise it's the same as the power up/down, lift up beeps).

Is it really normal? At the store "window model" it din't make that sound. :S

At youtube no wheel at startup made that sound.

Starting the fan briefly is normal. But that sound might not be. Can you record it? If you were to ride a long uphill and the wheel got warm, you would get that sound constantly until the wheel cools down. And that would be annoying. You could just go to the shop and let them take care of it. Very likely a bad fan or indeed something is touching it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Can you record it?

Yep, please make a recording to share, so we can ask advise you remotely while vicariously reliving our first wheel through you!

But seriously, do record it for us to comment on...

It shouldn't happen from the start.. They press those 3 capacitors so tight, that it bends fan metal casing.. Making it rub.. Even if i din't fix it, in time the fan blades would rub plastic down and make less noise..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

You are off to a roaring start! Obviously you have some electronics skills, as very few newbies have the balls to open up a brand wheel. And you figured out the problem in no time at all. Youre gonna be a good wheel owner, I found out the hard way that one had better learn how to fix these things on your own or your gonna be spending a lot of time looking at your wheel instead of riding it. Most small resellers like I bought from operate from their homes so can't offer servicing and will leave you out in the cold when something goes wrong. 

• Like 1

Emm, no skills what so ever.. You just could tell theres rubbing by sound (learned from pc builds etc..) Ofc i could live with sound, but why sould i, if it isn't meant to be there.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3