KingSong 18XL or 16X

Funky

2 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I'm sorry... But (IMHO) power pads have nothing to do with agility. 

Yes, they provide a means to push (torque) a wheel more, but that doesn't increase agility. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking about both and wrote one sentence instead of two : )

What I wanted to say was that for (true) torque you need power pads anyway then both perform similarly. Due to similar size agility is also comparable.

Service-wise, for me both were quite reliable (minor issues only). But I’m not a reseller.

• Like 1

I don't need much agility, most ride will be straight line anyways. Maybe if i need to go around people.. But that can be done on any wheel.

I allways tought bigger tyre = more confy ride. Can decrese psi if need etc.. To get the right feeling. Thats why i tought 3incher would be better.

Witch one would be better for hard leaning? I mean witch one would be saffer on leaning, 3incher? More tyre contact on ground?

(Hate the idea of sliding away and crashing, while leaning)

I also saw that 16x uses black inner shell.. It isn't that britle black plastic that was used in older 18xl?

Does 16x has that motor "ratatatata" sound while hard breaking?

Edited by Funky

Another note- 16x comes with large pedals already. Don’t think the 18xl is shipping with  the larger pedals.  It is a comfort difference. 
  I enjoy riding the 16x more then the 18xl, especially at slower speeds.  I’m 6’2” 250.

Dont ride on just one leg all the time, wrecks the inner shell over time on both units. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mike Roe said:

Another note- 16x comes with large pedals already. Don’t think the 18xl is shipping with  the larger pedals.  It is a comfort difference. 
  I enjoy riding the 16x more then the 18xl, especially at slower speeds.  I’m 6’2” 250.

Dont ride on just one leg all the time, wrecks the inner shell over time on both units. 

This is a good point. Being an e-wheels customer, I think I'm fortunate enough that the big pedals come standard. I forget that perhaps other markets arent including the upgrade. The flat pedals on an 18XL are so comfy, I've ridden atop them for 4hrs and didnt feel a thing. None of my other wheels are like that. Ks does have a pretty flat pedal angle and its lovely. I dont know if I'd allow what pedals comes stock, to sway the opinion much. Aftermarket pedals arent uncommon. Yup, everyone has a valid opinion on this one and its seemingly a toss up to me. My buddy Retro hopped atop my 18L for a few moments and seemd to enjoy the comfort. He loves his Nikola as well (rightfully so) and also loved his 16x..  So, not much help there either.

It pretty much seems that we are back to simply flipping a coin, doesnt it? The good news about the coin flip, both sides are a winner. EIther way it goes, come back and tell us in a year that you still only need one wheel. :popcorn:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Funky said:

16x uses black inner shell.. It isn't that britle black plastic that was used in older 18xl?

The inner shell is black plastic, hasn't been brittle that I've noted (no cracks in spite of lots of abuse), and it looks, feels, and 'sounds' (tapping on it) like the same or very similar stuff as the outer shell. And the outer shell plastic can really take a beating.

8 hours ago, Funky said:

Does 16x has that motor "ratatatata" sound while hard breaking?

IF you're close to overpowering any wheel, the motor might make strange noises. I can't speak fairly to this question because I don't weigh enough, but I can brake as hard as I need to without any strange motor noises.

8 hours ago, Funky said:

most ride will be straight line anyways

You might want the 18", the smaller wheels are generally quicker to turn, which means they're nimble if you want it, twitchy if you don't. I've found that the smaller more nimble wheels are much easier to manage at really slow speeds (around people) and believe they are easier because their small wheel diameter's physics allow you to keep your balance in less space (you don't have to travel as far before the turn corrects a lean)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

You might want the 18", the smaller wheels are generally quicker to turn, which means they're nimble if you want it, twitchy if you don't. I've found that the smaller more nimble wheels are much easier to manage at really slow speeds (around people) and believe they are easier because their small wheel diameter's physics allow you to keep your balance in less space (you don't have to travel as far before the turn corrects a lean)

Compared to 16s and 16x, 16s would be more nimble right? Than 16x? beeing 2.125 tyre? It was pretty easy to ride at walking speeds on 16s, could even turn around aboth body width area. (Low pedal hight on 16s din't help alot on turns, it allways touched ground)

And in RAIN witch one would be better?

If i cover 16x speaker and use little bit runny silicone around this area > in image > or any seam where water could get in

(both wheels will get this treatment)

Untitled.png

Witch one would be better in rainy days or downpours?

Edited by Funky

I had this exact same dilemma when I started riding, 16x or 18xl. I went with the 18xl because I read so many reviews saying how graet it was at speed, and how it's such a good all-round wheel. I loved it. As I got better I went faster and learned how to carve turns so deep my pedals scraped the pavement. But then i discovered trail riding and quickly realized these wheels can go nearly anywhere a mountain bike can.  And it was there in the woods i realized that trails are my calling and the 18 xl is just not a great trail machine. So i bought the 16x and what a fantastic trail machine it is. So which is better for you? I thought the same way as you, i didn't really think about trails when first buying, i thought speed and stability were what i wanted. The 18xl is for sure, a great pavement machine which thrives at speed carving, riding smooth trails, has good durability, much like a sports car. But it is limited to just that. I never imagined how fun technical trail riding could be, but when i did it became obvious that the 18xl was not the right choice. The 16x has much higher pedal clearance which is crucial for rough technical trails, you don't get slammed down unexpectedly when your pedal hits a root or rock. And the half inch wider tire more than makes up for the smaller diameter, it feels smoother and more agile than the 18, it goes over rocks and roots much easier and with less effort. Riding the technical trails sound hard, but because your riding slow and constantly fighting to stay upright, it's actually a hell of a lot safer than riding fast. Your "crashes" on the tough stuff are more like a somersault, your only going about 15 mph and you're much more aware, no gawking at the hotties while your doing 30 mph on the street. Is the 16x unsuitable for speed carving and street commuting? Hell no, it's a bit shaky at 30 mph and yes the 18xl definitely feels a bit more stable but it's not like the 16x is going to fly apart or throw you down without warning. I've been slammed so hard on the 18xl I've ended up in hospital with busted wrist, torn shoulder labrum and lacerated kidney from a "hidden" pothole (my eyes were diverted ;-/). Now I don't go fast and stick to the trails but honestly I'd go with the 16x if I were you, you won't be limited as to where you can go and you can still get your speed fix it that's what you're into. 18xl will prevent you from fully experiencing what these little beauties can do!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hal2000 said:

I have to disagree with this reasoning. Not in general but in this case. XL and X are paradoxically very similar in size because of the tyre difference.

in terms of (true) agility - you need power pads anyway and again then both wheels perform quite similarly.

You dont really "need" them, i can do stairs up and down without them, but when you do use them, omg you'll wonder how you ever did it without them. They truly ARE  a game changer but really skilled riderz can do all the same stuff without them. Still, I'd put them in the "must have" category.

6 hours ago, Funky said:

Compared to 16s and 16x, 16s would be more nimble right?

I've never ridden a 16s so can't say from experience, but the 16x is probably less maneuverable than the 16s—because of the weight difference more than the tire width.

6 hours ago, Funky said:

And in RAIN witch one would be better?

KS made improvements to the water resistance of the 16x and owners of new models don't report problems, but fewer problems may be because people are more careful. I don't ride in the downpouring rain, it's too uncomfortable to my person and too dangerous for my taste, but I do ride in the wet after the rain and in light rain and haven't had any problems. I credit my luck to my roll.nz cover—it slows down the water's ability to enter the shell seams and even the speaker. In the winter when it rains all the time, I put a piece of plastic wrap over the speaker and under the bodyguard, and add another piece over the headlight and power button. But if I were expecting to have to ride in downpours (no choice), I'd bring a plastic garbage bag to cover the whole thing. Ugly but effective. I always dry the wheel upright, on a stand.

33 minutes ago, Funky said:

I read that 16X has limit 265 lbs?

Correct. The owners manual for my 16x says the max load is 120 kg (264.55 lb).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Correct. The owners manual for my 16x says the max load is 120 kg (264.55 lb).

But as we all know 16x is meant more for offroad, harder abuse, etc.. Meaning it could have 330lbs, same limit as 16s 18xl.. If riden on smooth roads?

1 hour ago, Singasong said:

I had this exact same dilemma when I started riding, 16x or 18xl. I went with the 18xl because I read so many reviews saying how graet it was at speed, and how it's such a good all-round wheel. I loved it. As I got better I went faster and learned how to carve turns so deep my pedals scraped the pavement. But then i discovered trail riding and quickly realized these wheels can go nearly anywhere a mountain bike can.  And it was there in the woods i realized that trails are my calling and the 18 xl is just not a great trail machine. So i bought the 16x and what a fantastic trail machine it is. So which is better for you? I thought the same way as you, i didn't really think about trails when first buying, i thought speed and stability were what i wanted. The 18xl is for sure, a great pavement machine which thrives at speed carving, riding smooth trails, has good durability, much like a sports car. But it is limited to just that. I never imagined how fun technical trail riding could be, but when i did it became obvious that the 18xl was not the right choice. The 16x has much higher pedal clearance which is crucial for rough technical trails, you don't get slammed down unexpectedly when your pedal hits a root or rock. And the half inch wider tire more than makes up for the smaller diameter, it feels smoother and more agile than the 18, it goes over rocks and roots much easier and with less effort. Riding the technical trails sound hard, but because your riding slow and constantly fighting to stay upright, it's actually a hell of a lot safer than riding fast. Your "crashes" on the tough stuff are more like a somersault, your only going about 15 mph and you're much more aware, no gawking at the hotties while your doing 30 mph on the street. Is the 16x unsuitable for speed carving and street commuting? Hell no, it's a bit shaky at 30 mph and yes the 18xl definitely feels a bit more stable but it's not like the 16x is going to fly apart or throw you down without warning. I've been slammed so hard on the 18xl I've ended up in hospital with busted wrist, torn shoulder labrum and lacerated kidney from a "hidden" pothole (my eyes were diverted ;-/). Now I don't go fast and stick to the trails but honestly I'd go with the 16x if I were you, you won't be limited as to where you can go and you can still get your speed fix it that's what you're into. 18xl will prevent you from fully experiencing what these little beauties can do!

Thanks alot for your detailed reply <3 Question: what's your weight doh? :)

Hell no, i won't be going 30 mph max 20-22..

Edited by Funky

Just now, Funky said:

But as we all know 16x is meant more for offroad, harder abuse, etc.. Meaning it could have 330lbs, same limit as 16s 18xl.. If riden on smooth roads?

Thanks alot for your detailed reply <3 Question: what's your weight doh? :)

I'm 185 lbs but I have riding buddies bith well over 220 (they won't say exact lol) and both have ridden 16x with no problem at all other than the machine runs hotter (needs cool down breaks after they climb  large hills)

16 hours ago, Funky said:

Hell no, i won't be going 30 mph max 20-22..

:popcorn:

9 minutes ago, Funky said:

Will be driving today to shop, will choose 18xl or 16x at shop :D

Heck yes, you can't do much better than that. Have fun!

19 minutes ago, Funky said:

Will be driving today to shop, will choose 18xl or 16x at shop :D

Great! They are both good choices. Buy the one you get faster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Great! They are both good choices. Buy the one you get faster.

They both are in shop, i can take a look at the wheels etc.. (can't ride doh).

16X looks so sexy and fun..

18XL are reliable, and stronger

Will see which one i will get xD

Edited by Funky

go for 18XL it's way more well protected for your location (rain!)
reliable and very trusty.

Also, you will not be speed-limited at lower percentage of battery compared with 16X.
take a smart (not fast!!!) charger and get the version with white inner-shell with large pedals.
if you want to know more please ask here, I own 18XL, and it's keeper for me :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Meserias said:

go for 18XL it's way more well protected for your location (rain!)
reliable and very trusty.

Also, you will not be speed-limited at lower percentage of battery compared with 16X.
take a smart (not fast!!!) charger and get the version with white inner-shell with large pedals.
if you want to know more please ask here, I own 18XL, and it's keeper for me :)

Yeah it got white shell and large pedals already, i know v1 v2 v3 versions on 18xl (black brittle shell, white, and white stronger)

But 16x looks so good, but then again 18xl are tested and good. Also with 18xl i can change all hextech pedals (pedals+pillars)

But with 16x i can change only pedals (pillars stay original) It seems 16X pillars are much weaker than 18xl, because it got holes in them no?

Or are 16x and 18xl pillars same strength? Holes makes it weaker i think.

I will use original charger that comes in box..

Edited by Funky