KingSong 18XL or 16X

Funky

Hello.

I kinda got interested in 16X, but how good is it compared to 18XL, if i'm a fatty? :D 128kg (280lbs).

16x3 vs 18x2.5 tire, won't 3inch be better for me?

Most time i won't go faster than 30(18mph) to feel kinda safe. And will be riding flat asphalt pavements or those small bricks. I may take it on dirt roads also but not so often.

Build wise 18XL would be stronger / better for rain riding?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

Flip a coin? 18XL a little better for street, 16x a little better for dirt. I'm rocking an 18XL and its my favorite wheel. No complaints from me and thats damn rare. I only weigh 130lbs, so I can't comment on which for seomeone who's over double my weight.

• Like 1

I’ve owned both. For your weight I’d probably choose 18XL. Depends on the usage also. For my usage (long rides) I would go back to the 18XL if I had the choice right now. In short city commuting 16X is more nimble. 

• Like 3

Speaking as one solid rider to another... Larger diameter wheels are MUCH more "comfortable" to ride. 

My riding weight is 120 kg (+ lunch) and an 18" wheel provides much more security!

Go with the 18XL..   :D

How much more "comfortable" can it be? I tried 16s it has 2.125 tire and it felt alright to me. People say that 3inch tire go 1 size up meaning its closer to being 17inch wheel than 16.

16s > On asphalt it felt like i was flying.. On grass fields in woods, it was kinda bumpy, but i din't lose control.. More less i let the wheel take control i just followed the feeling?

Maybe i would enjoy 16X tire more than 18XL? Sad thing i can't try both :( 

Fun riding will be around 20Km(12miles) no longer..  To work and home trip is around 6Km(4miles) And i don't like to much speed. Don't wanna get hurt.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

I think 18xl. Forget tire width, the larger diameter makes bumps disappear. I have a smaller 16in wheel I learned on and my new MSX just tanks what I used to think of as "bumps."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I think the features you could like or utilize on the 16x3” tire are more prevalent at very slow speeds. Like walking speed, and light jogging speeds at the most. A 3” tire feels vertically more stable, and you can tilt-turn in a smaller radius.

A 2.5” tire is easier to twist-turn, so it may feel more nimble in some situations, with a certain riding technique.

But the balance between tilt-turning and twist-turning is easy to learn and adjust to each wheel you ride at the time once your start having a proper riding technique. So I wouldn’t consider tire width to be a must feature on a wheel you’re buying, unless you know exactly what you want. (In which case you wouldn’t be asking…)

But the difference a riding technique can’t really adjust to in the same way, is the tire diameter. All bumps will feel smaller on the 18XL, and it will be more stable at about 20km/h and above. This makes cruising on the 18XL more relaxed.

You will need to lean a bit more to accelerate on a larger diameter wheel, but I feel that in this regard the difference between 16S and 16X is bigger than between 16X and 18XL. This actually makes larger wheels even more suitable for heavier riders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Funky said:

We (Roll.nz) have both available as demo wheels to try... If you can visit us here in Wellington?

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Fun riding will be around 20Km(12miles) no longer..  To work and home trip is around 6Km(4miles) And i don't like to much speed. Don't wanna get hurt.

Your commute may only be 6km, but you need to factor in the "I took the long way home" syndrome. Which is a medically proven side-effect of EUC addiction. 

I used to have a 3km commute... But could easily clock 23km coming home on a sunny afternoon.    :D

• Like 2

The Fat Unicyclist 

Yeah, that's why i wanna get the right wheel xD Can you feel the "bumbs" on road little bit or much more 16x vs 18xl?

If im ridding flath ground around 30kmp(18mph) is there big difference? If im taking a corner 16x need alot more leaning?

Does 16x have those "wobble" much more than 18xl? At speed or at breaking?

And witch one was more fun in general?

I also have tried 10inch scooter's.. Going over things and din't think it was that dreadful. OFC you could feel the bumbs but they where okeyish ;/

Also how many miles did you try both?

Edited by Funky

Had both and I am also heavy. I’d definitely go for 16x. Wobbling is essentially a problem only if you push the wheel to the max and are an inexperienced rider. Also at speed 18XL is problematic because of a smaller(thinner) tyre.

Edited by hal2000
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, hal2000 said:

Had both and I am also heavy. I’d definitely go for 16x. Wobbling is essentially a problem only if you push the wheel to the max and are an inexperienced rider. Also at speed 18XL is problematic because of a smaller(thinner) tyre.

So many people have said that 18xl at speed is so stable. Thinner tyres are made for speed in general?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Flip a coin? 18XL a little better for street, 16x a little better for dirt. I'm rocking an 18XL and its my favorite wheel. No complaints from me and thats damn rare. I only weigh 130lbs, so I can't comment on which for someone who's over double my weight.

10 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I’ve owned both. For your weight I’d probably choose 18XL. Depends on the usage also. For my usage (long rides) I would go back to the 18XL if I had the choice right now. In short city commuting 16X is more nimble.

I am 240 lbs and currently ride both. @ShanesPlanet and @UniVehje are spot on. And @mrelwood made a great assessment of the handling differences between the 2.5" and 3.0" tires. He also described the torque availability differences and lean requirement very nicely.

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

but you need to factor in the "I took the long way home" syndrome. Which is a medically proven side-effect of EUC addiction. 

Yes, yes ... this is a real thing!

19 hours ago, Funky said:

Most time i won't go faster than 30(18mph) to feel kinda safe. And will be riding flat asphalt pavements or those small bricks. I may take it on dirt roads also but not so often.

I think the 18XL would be more comfortable for you and your riding condition you described. The pedals are at a slightly flatter angle making for more comfort also.

12 minutes ago, Funky said:

So many people have said that 18xl at speed is so stable. Thinner tyres are made for speed in general?

It is mainly the larger diameter that adds to stability. You need to decide based on your route and road quality. You can't go wrong with either wheel. I favor the 16X slightly because I like to goof around a lot. But I enjoy the 18XL more for just cruising around.

Don't forget about the "I took the long way home" syndrome. You have a tough choice. Odds are you will end up with more than one wheel eventually ... that's another syndrome!

• Like 1

Nahh i won't pay 2000$, 2-3 month salary for second wheel. Thats why it's so hard to choose one :D As for pedals im getting HexTech pedals from the start also..

The thing is i also like 16x look quit a lot more over 18xl. But look is one thing and ride quality is different :S

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Also how many miles did you try both?

I have had both models since they were first released, and have ridden both of them continually since (so 2-3 years).

The torque of the 16X does make it slightly better for off-roading, but the agility of the 18XL makes it a close call on-road.

If I had to choose between the two, as a heavier rider, I have to say that the 18XL would be my pick. It just "fits" larger riders better!

It's the whole "reverse pendulum" thing... the larger the rider and the smaller the wheel, the more everything pivots (you should see how ridiculous I am on an Mten3).   :roflmao:

• Like 1

I hear that loud and clear, big wheel for big boy.. But still.. :s

10incher and me, that would be so funny also.

Also if i like to pump tyre presure in higher bars. What difference would be then?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scottie said:

The 18XL is famously reliable if that makes it better.

Yes... As a reseller, I can say that we have spent a lot more time working on 16X units than we have on the 18L/XL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

It is stable but unsafe and easy to damage when you hit anything (pothole, curb, etc.) unexpectedly at 35 km/h or more (precisely because of the thin tyre). Thin tyre + speed + heavy rider = trouble sooner or later : )

Even you come out of it a ok, the rim will not.

21 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have had both models since they were first released, and have ridden both of them continually since (so 2-3 years).

The torque of the 16X does make it slightly better for off-roading, but the agility of the 18XL makes it a close call on-road.

If I had to choose between the two, as a heavier rider, I have to say that the 18XL would be my pick. It just "fits" larger riders better!

It's the whole "reverse pendulum" thing... the larger the rider and the smaller the wheel, the more everything pivots (you should see how ridiculous I am on an Mten3).   :roflmao:

I have to disagree with this reasoning. Not in general but in this case. XL and X are paradoxically very similar in size because of the tyre difference.

in terms of (true) agility - you need power pads anyway and again then both wheels perform quite similarly.

1 minute ago, hal2000 said:

in terms of (true) agility - you need power pads anyway and again then both wheels perform quite similarly.

I'm sorry... But (IMHO) power pads have nothing to do with agility. 

Yes, they provide a means to push (torque) a wheel more, but that doesn't increase agility. 

• Like 1