NBO have different speed limit when battery is low

bigor

Hi,

Just want to know if this is normal. On low battery when blinking red, I can not go more then 12-13kmh. My app said I still have 6-7km more but speed limit is different. It is like bot tries to save some energy. Additional question is do you believe your app and how many km you still can do. What happen when you dry battery? I know, motor stops but is there any warning before?

Thank you

If battery is on low status you can run out of capacity with high loads (acceleration/ high speed). This can result in a power shut off => face plant. For safety reason the 9b1 limits the speed. Later it will tilt back more.

I have to admit, the Safety of the NineBot seems to be up there with the best.  I hit the Strong Lean Back at the end of the San Francisco ride, but I just went real slow about 1/2 mile back to the car and all was good.  I would not tempt fate and push it beyond the lean back.  Although, admittedly, it would be very hard as it leans back quite a bit.  I prefer that over a Face Plant though.

11 hours ago, bigor said:

Hi,

Just want to know if this is normal. On low battery when blinking red, I can not go more then 12-13kmh. My app said I still have 6-7km more but speed limit is different. It is like bot tries to save some energy. Additional question is do you believe your app and how many km you still can do.

Could be about what i experienced, once i rode the batteries almost to the end... But this was before the app showed the km still to go...

11 hours ago, bigor said:

What happen when you dry battery? I know, motor stops but is there any warning before?

After the first low battery step you encountered (speed limit about 10 km/h) the ninebot reduces the speed a second time (i don't have any idea to which limit, but definitevely lower) and beeps continously. In this last stage i made it the last 1-2 km back home. But it's no fun to ride - very easy to overlean and the annoying beeping all the time.

Thanks all for your replies. I encounter serious push back. It was not a fun ride. I struggled not to fall. I wanted to go slow but quite often I go beyond that limit and then additional push back. Push backs was so strong that I thought I am going to slide back from pedals. My question is should I stop driving then or can I trust information on my phone that I still have 5-6km and try to get home.

1 hour ago, bigor said:

Thanks all for your replies. I encounter serious push back. It was not a fun ride. I struggled not to fall. I wanted to go slow but quite often I go beyond that limit and then additional push back. Push backs was so strong that I thought I am going to slide back from pedals. My question is should I stop driving then or can I trust information on my phone that I still have 5-6km and try to get home.

Next time I get a chance, I'll try running it all the way down and report back.  Although, it probably won't be for a few days as it is raining quite a bit right now and I don't feel like riding in the rain.  I ran my TG F3 all the way down once, and it just kept getting slower and slower till it finally shut off.  Very hard to ride if you cannot already ride very slow.  To prevent the Heavy Tilt Back, just ride slower and the pedals will level out a bit.  Just consider it Slow Riding Practice.

I don't believe it is recommended to run it completely dry though as it stresses the battery a bit.

To answer the question as to whether I believe the number of remaining km... the simple answer is no and it is not the app's fault. Range is determined a lot riding style, terrain, wind , your weight and other factors. As rough guide, the Ninebot app actually has a mileage calculator where you can input these variables and see how different the estimate becomes.

The next factor is measuring the remaining battery capacity is difficult to do accurately, especially if regenerative breaking is used a lot.

Finally, I have the Ninebot C 2016 model with a 160wh battery but the app thinks I have the original model with 120wh. Oops.

I have to admit, it would be nice if the App would APPLY the Calculations to the remaining mileage on the Main Screen.  I was disappointed to find it was just a calculator that only Showed you the answer.  Does not seem like it would be hard to program that into the app.  A Simple Calculation for the Main Screen.

1. The distance from Ninebot One E+ spec is just a lie. Most of the time for 80 kg person is 20 km tops!!! 

2. Rule number one - don't go below 50% of your battery if you don't have your charger in the backpack.

3. If you go below 50%, ride slow, accelerate slowly too, monitor your power consumption in the app to be the lowest possible.

When you drain your battery, it will beep constantly, tilt back almost to the ground and then finally it will stop (but not immediately, it will just slow down to the complete stop). Then you won't be able to ride it at all, however you can push it when it's turned on, it's a bit easier. You can also charge your battery a bit when riding downhill if possible. But if you are still few kilometers far from home, it's best to get a bus and carry your NB in your hand. Carring NB is still better than pushing it without trolley handle.

Fortunately I've just bought the IPS backpack, which fits Ninebot pretty well! It's the first real backpack for NB I found after so much time. And it has got a trolley handle + wheels!!!

Archived