KingSong S18 Progressive Review

Ek.

2 hours ago, Ek. said:

The wheel feels heavy when mounting, dismounting and holding with one foot. I think the centre of gravity is a lot higher than I'm used to.

Definitely... and obviously, the pedals need to be higher to allow for compression (without compromising pedal clearance).

Over the last couple of weeks, what I have found useful (for both the S18 and V11) is to change the way I mount... I push off and step up like normal, but I also "bounce" at the start, pushing downward significantly as I start moving and lift my second foot. This noticeably increases the compression of the suspension  as I lift (my Fat Unicyclist ass) upward, dropping the pedal to a "normal" height, making the progression much smoother...

• Like 2

Adding studs to your pedals will really help with the feeling that your feet might slip sideways. They really should be standard equipment. I've tried several options: studded grip tape ($35) is still on my 16x, and Chaput baby bumps on my MTen ($100, purchased before the wheel arrived because of how much better the 16x felt with studded pedals and the overall feistiness of the little fella). I'm totally happy with both but am waiting on Hextech's for the 16x because they 'look cool' and should shed mud. The Koffler studded grip tape sheds snow like a champ, but does collect mud.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Definitely... and obviously, the pedals need to be higher to allow for compression (without compromising pedal clearance).

Over the last couple of weeks, what I have found useful (for both the S18 and V11) is to change the way I mount... 

Exactly, I definitely expected a difference in mounting with the higher pedals. I wasn't expecting the wheel to want to fall over more, though I guess it's a fulcrum/leverage thing. I think, though, despite the pedals being higher there is still more relative weight *above* the pedals which also adds to the difficulty of holding it upright with one foot once it's started tipping.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:53 AM, Tawpie said:

Adding studs to your pedals will really help with the feeling that your feet might slip sideways. They really should be standard equipment. 

I have my eye on the Nylonove pedals as they are studded, hex-holed and also look a bit wider at the front. Not sure if I can get them in NZ though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ek. said:

I have my eye on the Nylonove pedals as they are studded, hex-holed and also look a bit wider at the front. Not sure if I can get them in NZ though...

The NyloNove pedals can be ordered from NZ (I got a pair of XL's for the Sherman several months back), but the online outlet for them Hulaj Market in Poland presents a bit of a challenge to find them in stock KingSong S18 (hulaj.market)

Another thing you can try if you are dead set on getting the NyloNove for your S18, is to PM Paweł Gutkowski, the manufacturer, on Facebook and ask if he will alert you as soon as Hulaj have them back in stock. Be warned though, that stocks of All the popular NyloNove pedals tend to sell out within 1 hour or so of customers being alerted of their availability at Hulaj market.

The wait to get a hold of a pair of these pedals can be long and drawn out, but the very high quality of manufacture and the massive improvement in grip more than makes up for the drama.

Good Luck.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, fbhb said:

The NyloNove pedals can be ordered from NZ (I got a pair of XL's for the Sherman several months back), but the online outlet for them Hulaj Market in Poland presents a bit of a challenge to find them in stock KingSong S18 (hulaj.market)

Another thing you can try if you are dead set on getting the NyloNove for your S18, is to PM Paweł Gutkowski, the manufacturer, on Facebook and ask if he will alert you as soon as Hulaj have them back in stock. Be warned though, that stocks of All the popular NyloNove pedals tend to sell out within 1 hour or so of customers being alerted of their availability at Hulaj market.

The wait to get a hold of a pair of these pedals can be long and drawn out, but the very high quality of manufacture and the massive improvement in grip more than makes up for the drama.

Good Luck.

Yup, yup and yup. If you have patience of a saint, wallet of a doctor and desire like a crackhead, you'll do just fine with ordering the nylonove. They are simply outstanding quality and really do make it obvious how 'mediocre' the build of an euc is, in compare. If you want some pedals BEFORE your wheel is half worn out, I suggest looking elsewhere. If you simply have to have the best... they are the answer.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

So I posted to the Nylonove thread in the mods and parts forum because I was very surprised to find that I've had exactly the opposite experience ordering Nylonove pedals (except a couple of months waiting for them to be in stock). They're not here yet, just held up in Auckland (which is in lockdown) so maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Anyway, I wanted to add to my progressive review some thoughts about offroading now that I have reached something like 180km on the S18, including trails. The other day @That Guy and I rode an actual mountain bike trail, so I'm talking about both flatish nice offroad trails as well as "proper" offorad. It was green grade, if that makes a difference to anyone, so not an expert trail by any means, but uphill, a bit rocky and with plenty of switchbacks.

I can now compare both kinds of offroading on the S18 with my experiences on the same trails with the 14D.

Gentle trails

One of the main reasons I wanted to buy the S18 is because there are some amazing scenic trails in my area and I could only manage shorter trips on the 14D before fatigue sent me home. These are unpaved but mostly well-tended trails, and the S18 is totally at home in this environment. Less twitchy than the 14D and of course with the suspension ironing out bumps, I feel I could ride all day without a rest. I am still to have an opportunity to do more than about 10km in this environment on the S18 whereas I did about a 20km trip on the 14D, so watch this space. Note: my longest trip ever on a wheel was 30km on the S18 on paved paths.

MTB trails

Different story. Yes, the suspension is very helpful. Especially on the way down. Pedal clearance also a big plus. However, on this kind of trail I go much slower so the stability gains of the larger wheel at higher speeds are reversed on this kind of trail. In other words, the manoeuvrability and ease of control at slow speeds of the 14D was an advantage over the S18 in this environment. Having said that, the only obstacle that I failed at on the S18 having achieved it on the 14D was a very sharp "loop turn" (I did not try to loop on either occasion, just took the corner sharply). The 14D did it but I dropped the S18. I think with a bit more training on the S18 I will get both faster and stronger, making the S18 the overall better wheel for offroading. In the mean time I recommend a smaller (even 16") wheel for those thinking of tacking terrain like this for the very first time. I think the V12 might be perfect because of the high pedals. @That Guy could comment on how the 16X faired.

• Like 2