Help!!! New problem with my "new" S18!!!

Paulo Mesquita

11 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

. But they recommend you discharge/charge (see below) to calibrate the smart Li-Ion batteries.

there is no such thing as smart lion battery cell, they are talking about  them being connected to a bms, and the calibration it does.

It could be smart even withpout providing the info to the user.
Kingsong is a bms maker first and foremost, and indeed they do input/output management on the motherboard on the s18, so I think we can at least trust them at that. Ninebot Z10 and S2 have a smart bms. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Kingsong has smart as adjective for his bms which is actually quite average stupid. ;(

I am not asking too much to call them smart :)

A simple voltage per cell/pair monitoring and comunicating actions based on that, even better providing the user with information of this action, is all I want. 

Ok, I want to able to set the balance voltage too, so that it properly stops at 90%. :D

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, enaon said:

A simple voltage per cell/pair monitoring and comunicating actions based on that, even better providing the user with information of this action, is all I want. 

This should be about standard - the now ecisting and available bms, not used for our wheels :(

1 hour ago, enaon said:

Ok, I want to able to set the balance voltage too, so that it properly stops at 90%. :D

This would need a smart charger too with programmable voltage...

• Like 3

On 8/3/2021 at 3:15 AM, mrelwood said:

We do not.

In my understanding a “smart BMS” generally refers to a BMS that allows individual cell group monitoring (in a battery pack that has several cell groups in series). In the world of EUCs, manufacturers seem to call the BMS “smart” if it provides anything new or extra to the standard EUC BMS from a few years ago.

Neither of these is a kind of a “smart battery” that the BatteryUniversity talks about, a one with a capacity counter.

The only things in the EUC batteries that can be called “calibration” are cell group voltage balancing (the most important thing to do for a large pack with cells in series), or the voltage balance between two or more of these complete packs (which are either hard wired together, or handled by the controller).

From these, cell balancing is crucial to be performed by the user, but the user doesn’t need to worry about pack balancing unless there is something wrong with the system.

A smart BMS is distinguished from a "dumb"(passive) BMS by the ability to balance cells/cell groups actively with more monitoring(temps, input current, output current, individual cell voltage, etc.). By active I mean during use or standby, EUC BMSs only balance when charging and when near full charge(top balancing). A smart BMS is able to balance at any time(of course depending on exact model), either by purging charge from more charged cells to less charged cells with controlled current or purge the current into regulators to be converted to heat(only very small deviations) if all other cells are in balance.

• Like 2