Is EUC exercise? For escaping lockdown?

Forwardnbak

In our country lockdowns keep occurring. They allow us to leave for exercise. 

Just over the road are some nice trails, tracks through the bush with other walkers and some off-road. 
I am a relatively new user but ride everyday, I’m a month my first EUC I have 1156klms on my v11. 
I have lost weight riding it. Possibly walking and just being active. 

would it pass to escape lockdown? I could see many saying it isn’t. 
I really think it is. The off-road stuff gets me in the feels. 

• Like 2

How silly. Simply breathing can be construed as execise. Hell, just getting out of bed in the morn is sometime more a workout than I care to:eff02be2d7:. OF COURSE riding an euc is exercise. Off-road is quite a bit actually. I think if they don't define 'exercise' very clearly, you neednt say much as who can argue with the fact that just standing in place is also using muscle and burning calories. "Lockdown" to me sounds like more a political attempt to keep both sides of the issue happy, as if you told inmates they were locked down (cept for exercise), you'd find them exercising 24hrs a day 365 a year.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

would it pass to escape lockdown? I could see many saying it isn’t. 
I really think it is. The off-road stuff gets me in the feels. 

I definitely think any serious off-road gives the body a good work out, so I'd give it a pass to qualify as exercise. During New Zealand's lock down, I went out on the wheel pretty much every day, classed it as my daily exercise so you should be good IMHO!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

Any and all riding will exercise and strengthen your core muscles. 

"Solid riding" is definitely more exercise! And after a solid ride the sweat and shortness of breath should clearly demonstrate that you weren't "just standing there".

Riding an EUC is most certainly a passive but effective firm of exercise. 

• Like 3

So today I spent about 30 minutes trying to ride backwards - that was much more of a work out than the equivalent time straight riding so I think constantly trying to upskill takes the exercise component to the next level.

• Like 3

If you have a heart rate monitor then you could accurately ascertain if it's exercise. My guess is that for most people most of the time its not exercise but for technical riding (for instance, the original learning how to mount) it can be demanding.

Higher hear rate = more exercise. And that goes for exercises like weightlifting which can have shockingly high heart rates (and blood pressure) for very short periods of time.

• Like 1

If it got you to lose some weight and out of the couch - then it's working!

I personally think exercise is any physical exertion - strenuous enough to demand extra work on the body. Simply - more demand will require more supply. 

I don't feel much demand riding the EUC.  Then again, I'm very active and workout regularly 4-6 days a week.

I still prefer riding my bikes and skates for exercise but the EUC takes the cake for convenience when commuting or doing errands. It's so quiet and stealth - definitely great for leisurely rides if you need an escape from the lockdown. 

Just 15 min of training on the S18 is definitely exercise. Just did some curbs, hill mounts and dismounts, tight turns, braking tests etc for a short time in cool weather and I can already feel warmed muscles etc. Straight, flat cycle path though? Perhaps not so much.

• Like 1

I did four miles yesterday on fairly demanding mtb trails. Wasn’t particularly hot (*70) and by the time I got to the halfway point, I had a good sweat going, and my heart rate was definitely elevated. 
I was wondering if perhaps riding EUC’s fell into the isometric category of exercise, but no, It can definitely be a cardio workout.

• Like 1

You can ride an EUC simulating skating and skiing. Skating is start riding with one leg and then switch to the opposite leg. Skiing is like doing squats at the same time swaying the lower half your body. Another exercise is 180 degree body twist by rotating your body 180 left or right. If you want to exercise, you can carry a couple of dumbbells along to do curls. Really, anything you can think of, it's up to your creativity! How high can you jump?!

When people ask me this question, I often say this: riding an EUC is like downhill skiing, whereas riding a bicycle is more alike cross-country.

It's nowhere near as cardio, but your legs, hips and core get a solid workout from all that standing, carving and stabilizing over bumps and other road imperfections. It gets even more strenuous when off-roading, going faster, learning a new skill or doing a long distance ride. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Robert said:

When people ask me this question, I often say this: riding an EUC is like downhill skiing,

NYC(some) riders be like: 

My wheel is my skis and the ENTIRE street is my slope I am one with the ass...phalt

:P

Edited by Heyzeus

Depends on your skill and the track. When I started, I was not able to go 10km on one go, I had to make breaks. Now I can do a lot more (as brain and muscles are learning), but 10km off road (expecting the next bump all the time) is still hard. I would agree, that it is very close to downhill skiing, but also when skiing the track and skill matters a lot (also it is a good preparation for skiing in wintertime).

If you want to do a simple workout during a lockdown, go for a walk, if this is too easy, go for a hike, if still too easy, up, downhill and or add some weight. You will find your limit pretty soon.