I have my second S8 (ran the first one into a curb during the pandemic, never could get China to respond, insurance company for Ebay gave me my money back because I couldn't get it fixed, and when China opened up again, I bought a second S8 on Ebay).

I was having no luck trying to get it up to full charge (4 red lights on back of base), no matter how low (1 red light) I would let it get, and how long I charged it.

I had the bright idea of using the charger from the first S8 - and it immediately charged up to 4 lights!

I have no idea what's going on, but prefer going out with a full charge when I go for my trips to the greenway.

Does this make sense to anyone? It was a fluke that I had a second charger.

I'm on S8 numbers 2 and 3, one of them purchased used. Charger from S8-1 has been used all this time until recently. No red light indicator on the charger block, but I swapped out one of the other two and all is good again.

I suppose we are a couple of the last stragglers in the S8 world. I learned also that once you get the green light on the charger, remove it from the scooter. It continues to pump electricity into a fully charged battery and that's not a good thing.

• Like 1

You use them to get around a retirement community, too - if I remember correctly?

I hope they're not in danger of disappearing - I didn't find anything else I could use seated that didn't have a much bigger footprint.

I would like to have the one I lost during the pandemic (the source of the second charger) repaired, but no one in Davis or environs has any experience; one repair person said he'd try if I got a replacement main board (that was all the information about what was wrong I could get from China). I'm almost afraid to try - there are other parts in there that could have been fried when I ran afoul of a curb. I looked on Ebay at one time, and they said they might have the boards again post-pandemic.

Do you have more reliable information on diagnosing what's wrong? It emits a high pitched whine when on, and doesn't work.

The "dealer" I know lives in a retirement community known as The Villages but I use mine primarily for shopping. My wife dislikes intensely to grocery shop (but will buy out entire Macy's and similar stores!) so the S8 is handy for that. The dealer tells me that he can still source the scooter from Airwheel.

I also hope they won't disappear, but hoping often disregards reality.

I've asked Ed to request troubleshooting documentation from the manufacturer and if he has done so, he's come up empty. I also have a dead scooter, but its failure mode is silent. My number 2 scooter has begun to exhibit peculiar powering off characteristics. The power light bar on the bottom will display a random number of LEDs, then beep for a while and go quiet and dark. It continues to power on normally and operate normally, so I'm hoping it won't leave me stranded in the middle of Home Depot.

I agree about the bigger footprint. The A3 is seventy-five pounds! It has horse/saddle-like foot pegs that force one to spread one's hips uncomfortably and the useless handlebars are just an impediment to normal operation.

Fred,

Thanks for the answer - I don't come here often because I love to read about the unicycles, but will probably never get to ride one. It's nice to have another person who knows it isn't crazy to ride a hoverboard at our age.

I thought after I used my S8 around here, that other people would try it, and get one, but no one else does anything but tell me how brave I am. I'm not particularly - just that this is perfect.

Alicia

Isn't it funny that something so easy to ride as the S8 elicits such praise? My usual response is, "It's all done by computer," which often gets a nervous laugh. Occasionally I'll offer up a ride to someone who tries the scooter, but it's rare that people are "brave" enough!

I tell the non-techies it's mind control. Which it sort of is - my mind shifts my center of gravity so automatically now from the long practice.

My husband tells them it's Segway-type technology.

After which I tell them that Segway gives them something to hang onto.

Apparently I'm brave.

Several people have taken me up on a trial ride, one person twice. Still haven't seen anyone else on one, but I did see a guy on an EUC on the Davis greenway once.

• 10 months later...
On 7/31/2021 at 9:34 PM, fred_dot_u said:

I suppose we are a couple of the last stragglers in the S8 world. I learned also that once you get the green light on the charger, remove it from the scooter. It continues to pump electricity into a fully charged battery and that's not a good thing.

Hi, everyone.Ā  I have an S8 too. Ā  Some more info on this.Ā  I have my S8 charger hooked up via a kill-a-watt meter.Ā  As it charges, the number of watts going through the meter drops gradually from ~130 to ~2.Ā Ā  It's good not to overcharge the scooter, but it's not easy to do so - 2 watts is probably just a bit more than enough to keep the internal electronics active.Ā  Lithium-ion batteries last the longest (store the most electricity, in total, before failing) if charged to about 80% full and not discharged below 20% full.Ā  It's not a huge difference, but it's significant.Ā  (This is very different optimal use from old tech NiCd or NiMH batteries, which have memory effects.)Ā  I may set my charger up via a smart switch, so I can set it up to turn off at ~80%.Ā  One could also use OP's charger, which is probably charging the battery to around 60-70%.Ā  Bad for long trips, but great for short ones.

OP's charger is probably putting out too low a voltage, like around 55 V, and this is why the battery isn't charging all the way. I also have a multimeter; I can use it to measure the voltage of the battery, or the voltage coming out of the charger.Ā  One can measure the output from the charger (voltage between the top 2 connectors).Ā Ā  I do.Ā  But I don't "recommend" it, as doing so is dangerous, as the voltage is, IIRC, around 66 volts, which if accidentally shorted is enough to melt the conductors and/or give you a nasty shock and/or cause a fire.Ā  It's particularly easy for a small slip of the hand to cause a short when measuring the battery voltage, which gets to around 62 volts when full. The battery is considered "empty / 0% full " when the voltage gets down to around 50 (can't remember, but could test or look up/calculate if asked); if it was discharged to 0 V, its life would be dramatically shortened; the S8 will normally shut off to keep that from happening.Ā  (All voltage numbers are approximate and from memory.)Ā 

It's dangerous to listen to headphones while riding - I fell, I think because i didn't hear it beeping at me because I was going too fast, so I didn't slow down, and eventually it couldn't handle the speed.

Edited by Logician
update/fix
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I do disconnect the charger as soon as the green light shows; I connect the charger when I'm down to 2 out of 4 lights on the base.

Ā 

That seems sufficient for my needs - roaming around our campus, building, and the Davis greenway for up to an hour. Still the best thing I've ever bought for mobility - and a great conversation started with residents and visitors alike to our retirement community.

Ā 

The first one is still sitting in my office - it probably needs a motherboard (and someone to install it - my electronics shop days are over), and I haven't seen one on Ebay recently. I fried it by trying to go forward through a curb (just a little bit, but it caught). I figure I'll find a replacement one of these days, and then have two.

Ā 

The last time I checked Ebay, they were about $200 more than when I bought mine ($700 vs. $500), but supply chain problems and inflation are part of that. I just hope mine lasts until I can't 'sit on a barstool' which is how I describe how easy it is to use. Most of our Residents aren't interested, but it always gets a smile.

Ā 

That's a hoot. I use the same "sit on a barstool" to describe the difficulty, but I also add "sober." I can't imagine trying this while intoxicated. The fore/aft aspect might be tolerated, but the instant a turn is initiated, the operator would be on the ground.

I'm on S8 numbers two and three and number two's range has plummeted as of late, so it's out of service. I welded a pack from new cells and am awaiting a replacement soldering iron to get the BMS board transferred.

S8 number one is still in pieces in my garage, which might be useful in the future. Unfortunately, even though I'd like to offer you the mainboard, I believe it's dead in the water. The mainboard wasn't the reason for the pieces, but during one of the assembly attempts, I pinched a wire and something failed internally. As the initial failure was a structural one (seat bracket cracked, throwing me to earth), the mainboard was useful, but no more.

I fear the disappearance of this perfectly matched mobility device.

• Sad 1

I'm on Maggie (magnesium alloy, maglev motor) #2, which was the replacement from the Ebay insurance when they couldn't have Maggie#1 repaired or replaced at the beginning of the pandemic.

Ā 

I'll keep looking for a board - thanks for your good thoughts, but I'm sure one will turn up eventually.Ā  I hope BEFORE I really need one. I hate the thought of starting the search again, and I've managed airplane rides in the on-board wheelchair cabin only twice - I don't travel much, but would like to, and I can only imagine losing my mobility say, in YucatĆ”n.

Ā 

It was my 70th birthday present to myself - I told myself I'd never forgive myself for not trying - I can't walk, and it's an ideal mobility device. My range is pretty local, but we're a well known combination here at the retirement community, and I'm a ham about showing Maggie off (my Emotional Support Robot Miniature Riding Horse) to people, and offering rides. You never know who will be brave enough to try - not many, but some real naturals. Uneven sidewalks and walkways have caused a couple of tumbles; I'm a lot more careful now.

• Like 1

I've discovered that the batteries are no longer being offered via eBay. I contacted the "local" dealer who told me it was such a headache to get batteries from the manufacturer that he won't try. About a year ago, I purchased 32 lithium battery cells, 18650s with 3.2 Ah capacity, about fifty percent more than the originals. They've sat idle until this week. I'm amazed to find they are still viable, perhaps as they were stored in cool temperatures and properly prepared by the manufacturer. It took a while but I've transferred the BMS and assembled a working pack at about a hundred dollars less than the eBay versions would have been.

The dealer offered me a choice of two S8s, both with suspect batteries for US$400 each, which really isn't a great deal. Figure another few hundred dollars to rebuild the batteries and it's nearly retail price. He also has a pair of A8s for US$900 but those are a genuine physical pain to ride and weigh 75 pounds! He's had some sort of stem cell treatment on his knees and no longer needs the mobility devices and apparently is done with being a dealer too.

• Like 1

Wow with making new battery packs - way above my current skill level. But I will remember your numbers - if I ever have the ability to do the same.

Ā 

Right now my original S8 has good tires and usable batteries - so I have spares. I have no idea what I will do in the future, though.

Ā 

Looked up an A8 image - I don't think I'm going to be using one as a replacement, as I'm not capable of standing, and adding a seat is non-trivial with these. I'd love to, though, because it would really freak out the administrators here. :)

Ā 

I took the email from the dealer at face value, as he referenced a test drive provided many months ago. It's not an A8, which is the two-wheel self balancing wheelchair. The scooters he had included in the email is an A3, but all my objections remain. I'd forgotten another useless feature of that model, a push button brake on the handlebars. It was disconcerting the first time I pressed it, to have the handlebars "rear back" in my hands. It is an impressive aspect of the technology, though. 34 kg empty weight is a back-killer.

• 1 year later...

Hello again, folks. How's everyone doing with their S8's?Ā 

I just briefly messagedĀ ABEhrhardt:

I'm replying to the S8 thread again, and SF is not so far from Davis, and I am somewhat adept at repairs, so I thought I'd give you my number. <number>.

I have two S8s, both working.

The older one I got working again after I busted the power connectors on the power supply and cable.Ā  Using my voltmeter, I figured out what was what and am able to charge it using alligator clip cables.Ā  Looking at the voltages on yours, A, would be a clue to what's up.Ā  I have the tools and obtained parts to do a proper repair of my older one but haven't bothered, as I decided to get the second one in case they are discontinued.Ā  I also have a purchased spare key(remote) I should sync to the old S8 so I have a working spare; this (the sync process that makes it a working key) requires a full disassembly of the S8; I've read up how to do it and it's almost as much work as a board replacement.Ā 

I'm 50, disabled (can't really walk any distance); thanks to the S8, my wheelchair basically never leaves my house now.Ā I have a van I can drive.Ā  I have a lot of experience opening up and doing basic repair and upgrading of Macs and PCs, which is quite similar.Ā 

I'm willing to troubleshoot the non-working S8 free (a donation if I get it working would be fair) if you come to SF.Ā  We could wheel around together too.Ā  Interested?Ā  Have you located a board (which it may or may not need) yet?Ā 

Ā 

Separately: I'm running the current firmware V3.1.1.5 (3.1.1.5) on my Airwheel S8 (both).Ā Are you all?Ā  Works fine for me, if anyone is wondering if it's safe.Ā 

Ā 

PSĀ I may be near Davis around Aug 11 or 13.Ā 

Ā 

PPS:Ā fred_dot_u,Ā Ā Did you ever check the voltage across the top two pins of the power connector on the S8 that is iffy after a charge?Ā  **CAREFUL FOLKS - they're close together so it's easy to cause a short when trying to measure it, which is BAD, as it should be ~67volts!!!**
Actually, BETTER, safer, mostly :Ā  go by the voltage reading in the app.

Edited by Logician
PS, PPS

• 3 months later...

I've just done my periodic search for more Airwheel S8s - none on ebay or Amazon - but Alibaba claims to sell you ten for $390 each.

It's my mobility device, and I love it, and I have the first one which still has wheels and batteries (maybe) as spares, but I worry that I won't ever be able to buy another one.

I don't have an Alibaba account - and don't want to get one - but let me know if anyone wants to pursue the information. Here at the retirement community, I've never gotten someone else interested. I'd buy two for myself, but ten is a bit much, even at such a good price (don't know if it includes shipping - probably not?).

I have an Alibaba account, but ten of them is far too many. I have three working units and two in need of battery packs. I rotate the three from full charge to previously 80 percent SOC, but now the rotation is from full to 50-60 percent SOC, with no ill effects. I do, however, only charge fully on the day of any expected use, which prevents the scooter from sitting overnight with a full charge, which can be detrimental to the battery life.

I had pursued purchasing at least one more, possibly two and adding them to the rotation, but the source I found (which might have been through Alibaba) wanted US$800 for one and told me to expect $600-$800 shipping plus customs fees.

I'm eventually going to pursue a custom battery pack via Endless Sphere as that forum has been around what seems like forever and is likely to have some useful resources overall.

I get plenty of interest in the scooter, but far too little serious interest to consider becoming an ersatz dealer. There was a fellow in my area many years ago who became a distributor but moved three hours away and no longer is in contact with headquarters. He's become disillusioned. One of my three was purchased used from him and I'm thankful to have it.

I've considered to build an external battery pack from an off-the-shelf battery of appropriate capacity and voltage, add on an aftermarket BMS with phone app monitoring (or get the BMS with LCD panel) and route the wires in the seat column. It would make monitoring so much better and using an available pack means that weak point disappears. I've considered it and like so many projects, my health interferes, along with all those other never-get-done tasks.

Edited by fred_dot_u

I also have 2 S8s ran I one into a trash can with and it started beeping and going crazy. I also bought that warranty from eBay but I have not filed it yet. I ordered a second one. About a year ago and now like you. I cannot find them for sale anywhere. Have not checked, Alibaba.

I have contacted Andy at airwheel who is supposedly in charge of these things, and all he tries to do is sell me a suitcase.

I ask about theĀ  development of the S8 and got no response as to what if they're still making it or what?