Seeking feedback for video of Day 1 learning session on EUC

peddiparth

Day one? Looks good to me. I promise you can learn. I saw several good starts. You are doing better than two people that I taught. Your eyes are forward-good. Foot position? Not sure, The front of your shins should be in the center of the pedal front to back. 
The question is how bad do you want it because I am sure you can do it. I always say it takes 15 minutes almost every day. 15 minutes several times a day if you have at least two hours in between training periods.  It seems that many people actually process what they learned while they sleep. This is why just 15 minutes every day works so well. 
The first two weeks are the worst. Once you can stay on the wheel it becomes fun even though you are still learning. 
You got this! 

• Like 3

Don't stress yourself! You only learn to ride once, and it should be a fun experience:)

What might help:

• That bag thingie you're wearing might just distract you.
  • For learning like this, wrist guards are (at most) the only gear you need. But of course it does not hurt to get used to the knee pads etc. right away. Just saying you have options.
  • Get a mental model for how a EUC works. It only reacts to its tilt, and only your center of gravity determines that tilt.
    That might help with getting on properly (your center of gravity must be over the wheel, not in front or behind it or it will go that direction and turn away when you try to mount it).
  • The ACM form factor isn't the easiest. Low and hard to grab the shell if you wanted to. Just fyi.

So just keep going while it's fun and enjoy the experience. Learning to ride takes 100s and 1000s of kilometers/miles so don't expect to necessarily ride after a day.

• Like 3

My day 3 update:

Today I tried changing the mode from Hard to Soft to finally Medium. This seems to help a little with balance, and forward pressure. There is a little give when going forward. I had one semi-successful run down the pavement till the turn. To turn, I leaned to the right too much. Turns will be a lesson for the future. Ankles and lower calf muscles hurt too much, so I had to stop training after 15 min. Hoping for more progress tomorrow.

Video link of Day 3

I'm just a few days ahead of you and have a long way to go myself.  I am learning on well mowed bermuda grass, so a fall is less of an issue, but bumps and holes ad some challenges.  What helped me is getting my dominate leg locked in and more comfortable with the weight of the wheel.  Check out some of the exercises in this Go George Go video.  

Get that dominant leg locked in and build some strength and coordination with the other leg like he is doing in the video.  It is not too early to start thinking about a step up start so you don't get over reliant on holding onto something to get both feet up.  Also trying to learn to ride when it is so hot and humid really ads to the challenge.  Looks like your are making progress.  Good luck.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peddiparth said:

My day 3 update:

Today I tried changing the mode from Hard to Soft to finally Medium. This seems to help a little with balance, and forward pressure. There is a little give when going forward. I had one semi-successful run down the pavement till the turn. To turn, I leaned to the right too much. Turns will be a lesson for the future. Ankles and lower calf muscles hurt too much, so I had to stop training after 15 min. Hoping for more progress tomorrow.

Video link of Day 3

Yup, thats what day 3 looks like. Don't tire yourself. I'd be willing to bet money that if you practice at least 15-30 minutes a day, youll be riding around like a boss, in less than 2 weeks...:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Remember to only practice while it's fun.

Also, you (more precisely, your brain) learn on off-days. Do nothing for a day and you'll find you're better the next time you try.

This is sound advise. You can maybe do training in the morning, rest a few hours with the training, then go back and pick up the training too. This is a process and it cannot really be rushed. It is most likely to click at some point when you least expect it to. Once this happens you can push a bit more, but when you brain or body is tired, listen to it and rest. 

I had a look at your video. @peddiparth

I using something different. But in general I think this is a good way to pick up the skills to ride. 

I didn't follow this completely myself. Mainly because we had snow outside at the time when I stated to learn to ride. 

When I started I could balance standing on one leg on the floor (due to long term medical rheumatic problems, the reason why I started to ride in the first place). 

This is my 2nd test ride, I could do more than 10 min at the time. 

Now One think I would not recommend is the netted fence. Yes you can grab it to hold on to it, but if you are about to fall, there is a risk of reaching out and catching the fence with on a few fingers, resulting a dislocated finger at best or a amputated finger at worst. The heavier you are the higher risk this is.  Also I would recommend to wear a helmet. If you go down it can go fast and bumping your head is bad in general. Healing option for a head impact/injury are not good compared to a impact on a knee or an arm.

Looks nominal to me! You're doing great... eyes forward, shoulders square, posture upright. It does take time, your brain can't create and send signals quickly enough to handle the slight weight adjustment left leg to right leg when the wheel starts to tilt—you muscles must learn to do that on their own and that just takes reps+sleep. And a certain amount of trust. When she starts to tilt left, and you have a little speed, remember biking. You keep pedaling, steer into your lean and the bike straightens up. It's really weird and difficult to describe, but a tiny acceleration into the direction you feel you're falling snaps the wheel back to vertical. But your thinking brain can't do that, your legs and feet have to figure it out. I guess the best advice is to put on a helmet, wrist guards, butt pads, elbow guards, cheap soccer ankle guards and your knee pads and try your best to stay on. Accept falling down. Keep your eyes up and have your thinking brain screaming "don't bail YET" when it starts to tilt. Magic happens. On rep 168, maybe 174 if you're like me.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Just taught my wife how to ride the 84v MSX. Day one she was not able to mount, but I jogged along side and gave my arm as support. 45 minutes later she got a feel for it, but was exhausted. Day two, we focused on mounting. About 30 minutes into it clicked and she was able to mount, ride, and turn around in the street without hopping off. Best advice I can concisely give is watch the following; George does a great tutorial: 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, peddiparth said:
My day 5 training felt amazing.
I was able to figure out longer rides, right turns, and slowing down wobble correction.
Today felt good.

Looking good.  Riding on a well mowed bermuda grass field might help build up your leg shock absorbers and improve riding on uneven surfaces. 

1 hour ago, CarlW said:

Looking good.  Riding on a well mowed bermuda grass field might help build up your leg shock absorbers and improve riding on uneven surfaces. 

I will definitely try riding on mowed grass field in my community center after I learn to do unassisted mounting.

• Like 1

My day 6 of training was very productive. I tried right circles, left turns (need more practice), unassisted start/mount (wobbly). At one point I thought I was Zoolander who can't turn left, but finally does.
I very much appreciate your feedback to assist with my training.

Link to Day 6 training video

• Like 1

Day 7 training was very slightly productive.
I was trying to do the gliding self start, but ended up jumping on the ACM instead. I need more ankle muscles, so I stopped doing the daily 20hr keto fasting for now.
I am able to do a very large figure 8s. I had my first fall during a start instead of how I remembered it (figure 8s practice).
Please advice on what I need to do next with my training to get better.

Link to Day 7 training video

• Like 1

When you are leaning to balance on anything you tend to fire all your muscles at once. It is not so much building stronger muscles as how and when to use them. You are doing great for day 7. Sure there are people that learn quicker. They usually end up pushing too far too quick and getting hurt quicker too. The skill is there and it is within your reach. I am sure of it. Keep it up. 

I might suggest finding a 1/4 mile long unused road or path. I found a back section of an RV park and traveled from a table in one campsite to a table in another campsite a 1/4 mile away. It changes your mind set. Thinking about riding does not help you learn. The tennis court looks like it is becoming a wide open space. No purpose. 

9 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

When you are leaning to balance on anything you tend to fire all your muscles at once. It is not so much building stronger muscles as how and when to use them. You are doing great for day 7. Sure there are people that learn quicker. They usually end up pushing too far too quick and getting hurt quicker too. The skill is there and it is within your reach. I am sure of it. Keep it up. 

I might suggest finding a 1/4 mile long unused road or path. I found a back section of an RV park and traveled from a table in one campsite to a table in another campsite a 1/4 mile away. It changes your mind set. Thinking about riding does not help you learn. The tennis court looks like it is becoming a wide open space. No purpose. 

Thank you for your suggestion that my progress is normal.

Should I move my training to the grass field that is definitely longer than 1/4 mile? Or should I switch to the roads in my community with very little traffic?

Big open areas are not productive. Learning a new ground surface is good though. Most people think that dirt roads are rough. They can actually be very smooth on a unicycle. Grass can be rough and unpredictable yet soft to crash on. I would stay away from traffic. I nice trail or path with few people would be great. I always tried to go places at off times. Fewer people around. 

Most people that I thought really learn quicker on trails. It seems to be a game changer. 

Learning to ride an electric unicycle is a slow steady process. I only thought I was doing good at 3 months. I was more than happy with my skills yet I continued to get better for a year. You are doing better than several people that I know and they are pros now. 

Day 8 training gave me a little confidence. I figured out the trick to gliding start. Put all your weight on the EUC before takeoff. 
I am able to do pedal scraping left turns without stopping. I turn my foot to the left to catch the ground before the pedal. The right pedal scraping turn still stops me as I am not able to turn my right foot to that extent. I seem to be able to move my feet on the ACM v2.
The next training will probably be on a grass field with uneven ground.

I forgot the gopro while rushing to get to the tennis court, so filmed the training on my phone.

Edited by peddiparth

I pre-ordered the RS19 HT from ewheels. I am on the waiting list for October delivery.

After 6 days of gap, I had a very productive day of training today. I was able to ride in the morning and evening (no rain, FTW).
I experimented with capturing the video while riding, and finally found the right process for me.
I put in a small outro interruption in the video towards the end for fun.
Please excuse my facial stubble, that was not even in my mind after the ride.

Edited by peddiparth
  • Like 1

My day 10 training on ACM v2
I was focusing on increasing my stamina while riding.
In the morning session, I could only ride for 5 min.
The evening session was a little longer.
I had a few failed starts in the morning and one in the evening.
I hit a peak of 28mph per EUC World app, but I dont know when.