Dumpster scores

Little dumpster story:
A few years (10?) ago I picked (pun) a cute little guitar out of the dumpsters. It was Made in Japan. 
I stashed it behind the couch. Recently I pulled it out and decided to clean it up. It shined up real good, and I started researching it. Turns out they were made in ‘66-67 and sold in the US for around $40.
Being as they were cheap, they weren’t taken care of, got thrown away, etc.
Fast forward fifty odd years, now they are fairly rare.

This article is pretty interesting:

That one is the solid body version. Here is the hollow body version:

One of the better items I’ve saved from the landfill.

• Like 2

You done screwed yourself now. I gotta hear you play it and it better be good. Dont worry, Im a drummer, so 'good' is a very loose term.

Good find man! Keep on diggin, maybe youll find even more useable crap laying about. It really does remind me of the Red Baron...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Just now, OldFartRides said:

Like flying a para-, I probably couldn’t play a guitar to save my life !

Hell, birds can do it. You dont have to have any talent to be a guitar player, didncha know? :D

• Like 1

He’s a stitch to listen to. Sounds like he knows a thing or two about electronics.

Edit: *may* have been an April fool vid. I looked through the comments.

Funny at any rate.

Edited by OldFartRides

Dumpster Diving :

When I was 12 years old living in Florida I saw two men acting suspicious behind the Promenade Mall. ( now a clinic) I watch them from a corner. They tossed several lawn mowers in the dumpster. ( illegal dumping) 

After they left I got them out. I have always been large so manhandling them home on my bicycle handle bars, one at a time was not too much of a challenge. They were the much sought after self propelled professional snapper mowers. With a little help from Mr. Moot down the street we were able to get two of them running. I sold the second mower to pay for the parts and kept the best mower. The third was used for parts and tossed ( legally)  

I started my own lawn service. I had almost an entire block for three years.  I got sneers from the guys that tossed the mowers. Not only had I taken some of their business, I did it with their old mowers. 

• Like 1

I love dumpster diving. In my old neighborhood(s) you'd have to fight tooth and nail for Ikea furniture. In my new neighborhood it's like "here's oak furniture and a piano", as where I now live has a high proportion of military personnel who move often.

Upright acoustic pianos seem to be the big thing to get rid of, but most people including me can't move them or not have enough space for them. Technically, they aren't dumpster finds since they're advertised locally and not placed outside, but you get the point.

• Like 1

Here are two of my favorite dumpster saves. Someone threw out a whole drawer of “junk”.

The Marine Corps knife is WWII era issue. The brass case multi tool is also from that era.

As actual diving is not allowed at our facilities, I use one pole with a hook, and one with a large hard drive magnet.

A few considerate people leave good stuff beside the bins.

775E3010-0F2B-4617-934A-40A415474C39.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 3:53 AM, OldFartRides said:

775E3010-0F2B-4617-934A-40A415474C39.jpeg

I've got one of those brass case tool kits, was given to me by my uncle when I was a kid. He was an antique dealer.  Had it about 50 years now and still use it.

• Like 1