New Sherman owner. How hot is too hot? I'm seeing 185°F - please share your temps!!

Phi1osopher

So how hot is too hot?  I got my Sherman about 250 miles ago and am seeing what seems like some hot temperatures during normal riding.  I read some free internet advice that I should set a high temp alarm in EUC World at 140°F/60°C.  If I leave my Sherman on in my living room leaning against a couch for 45 minutes I'll see 140°F with it just sitting there!

Fully geared up with a large backpack loaded with groceries I weigh between 200-250lbs.  Most of my summer riding is in Texas in 95°F/35°C weather on mostly flat terrain with occasional very gentle rolling hills.  I'll rarely see 100' of elevation change on a ride.

I will see temperatures in the 160°F/71°C range when riding at my slowest, while cruising with the (very slow but pretty cool) local One Wheel group. (Riding steadily, under 18mph/29kph, on flat paved trails, stopping every 10 minutes to wait for someone... (LOL))  

If I ride more spiritedly, with quick stops and hard accelerations between city blocks around 30-35mph (48-56kph), mostly flat terrain, in under 5 minutes I'll see temps spike up to the high 170°F/76°C to mid 180°F/83°C...

So how hot is too hot?  Fully geared up I may be a heavier rider, but I think I am using my wheel "normally."  

Any thoughts?

Signed, 
Toasty in Texas

Edited by Phi1osopher
adding metric

• Phi1osopher changed the title to New Sherman owner. How hot is too hot? I'm seeing 185°F - please your temps!!

Yes seems a bit high to me.

My unit hovers around 47-48°C which is also the temperature at which the fans start spinning.

That's my second Sherman board. The previous one ran at the same temps until it partially failed after being over-burdened. Then it quickly reached the temperatures you're mentioning.

Maybe the temperature sensor is out of range: what kind of temperature does it report when you just turned on the wheel from ambient temperature?

Or maybe the board partially failed like my previous one, and in that case I would recommend opening the top compartment and proceeding to a visual inspection.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

• Phi1osopher changed the title to New Sherman owner. How hot is too hot? I'm seeing 185°F - please share your temps!!

Hi @Phi1osopher.

I'm about your weight fully geared plus a back pack and my Sherm gets to aprox 55C/130F after a steep climb 2km/1.3 miles long with the ambient temperature around 30C/86F. I do this climb basically every time I ride, it's up the hill I live at.

The wheel stays at aprox 48C/118F on a mostly flat terrain. I usually ride somewhere between 20km/h (13miles/h) and 35km/h (22miles/h) with occasional spikes up to 50km/h (30miles/h). I think my average speed is close to 25km/h (15miles/h).

I have the app alarm set to 60C / 140F. Your temperature seems to be super hot in comparison. To be honest, I would be worried reaching 70C or more. I'd probably start thinking about a break to let it cool down. I did notice the Sherm tends to heat up turned on and not moving, though. The fan is definitely not strong enough to keep it cold on higher ambient temperatures. So I turn it off, if I know I'll be standing still for more than a minute.

• Like 1

200 lb rider here. 

The temp is usually 45C (113F) when it's charging.

When I go on a 29C(85F) temp ride, it would stay around 55C(131F).

When I ride fast, it'll get up to around 60C+(140F)+.

Edited by Whitebeard
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Phi1osopher said:

YAY!  I have a good update -- I found something was physically blocking my exhaust port.   I didn't even know there was a rear exhaust port for the motherboard, and I was storing a battery for an accessory wedged in that space.  
I relocated the thing and my temperatures are now back to normal

HUGE THANKS to all of you for the feed back!!  

Makes sense!

Good you shared your finding and process because I've seen it's common Sherman owners put stuff in this area (like power bank, LED controllers) which may or may not block airflow.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...