Need Help Getting Used to Non-Suspension Wheels (Gotway/Begode)

madbikes

It was not until this last couple weeks where I had opportunities trying different non-suspension wheels, which sure enough has a much lower pedal height than my V11. With the exception of the Veteran Sherman, most ride Nikola+, EX.N and RS in my local mixed e-ride group. I thought it will be easy to find out which one I like by trying them out briefly and that didn't go anywhere.

Other than the weight-dense nature of Gotway/Begode, the lower pedal height just doesn't seem anywhere as maneuverable as V11. I have a tendency to feel like I'm driving a train, on top of the fact I always feel like the pedals are so close to the ground that I can't possibly lean it more when turning. The case on the RS and EX.N feels too wide to be comfortable.

I know I need to ride a lot more and have my own to truly get used to a non-suspension wheel. What are some tips that will help me ride better the next time I can try any of them again?

Many Thanks

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, madbikes said:

What are some tips that will help me ride better the next time I can try any of them again?

Don’t. :P

Seriously though, are you planning on purchasing a non-suspension wheel, or why do you want to get better at riding them?

After the V11, every single (1500+ Wh) wheel will feel as having too low pedals and too wide a body. Those are just a few of the reasons I love the V11 so much.

1 hour ago, madbikes said:

It was not until this last couple weeks where I had opportunities trying different non-suspension wheels, which sure enough has a much lower pedal height than my V11. With the exception of the Veteran Sherman, most ride Nikola+, EX.N and RS in my local mixed e-ride group. I thought it will be easy to find out which one I like by trying them out briefly and that didn't go anywhere.

Other than the weight-dense nature of Gotway/Begode, the lower pedal height just doesn't seem anywhere as maneuverable as V11. I have a tendency to feel like I'm driving a train, on top of the fact I always feel like the pedals are so close to the ground that I can't possibly lean it more when turning. The case on the RS and EX.N feels too wide to be comfortable.

I know I need to ride a lot more and have my own to truly get used to a non-suspension wheel. What are some tips that will help me ride better the next time I can try any of them again?

Many Thanks

Maneuverability is the rider, not the wheel.

Think about it.

Remove the rider from the equation, and an EUC is simply one wheel which can theoretically turn and pivot freely, size/weight regardless, no restriction. It's not like a car or bicycle, where the wheels are restricted in turning radius due to the frame and/or axle.

Hence, your ability to pivot the wheel deeper, independent of your body pivot, is the key factor here.

The typical narrow, leg-hugging-against-the-EUC-body stance, feet flat on the pedals, will limit your maneuverability on any wheel to only as much as your body can lean/tilt without falling over to gravity, because the wheel immediately catches on your leg as it tilts.

Instead, if you allow the inner turn-side heel to be angled wide and away from the wheel body, you can clear the wheel from catching on your leg on that turn-side, allowing the wheel itself to tilt deeper to the ground than your body is tilting (other outer turn-side heel will naturally lift up). So instead of the wheel and you both tilting, say, 12 degrees together, You can stay upright, while the wheel tilts like 20 degrees or more, since the wheel body is no longer catching your leg (wheel tilts independent of the rider body).

This whole narrow leg-hugging zero maneuverability phenomenon gets compounded with bigger body wheels that have normal to lower pedals, because there is more shell height from pedal-to-top-of-shell, thus more surface area to catch your leg. You probably experienced less of this on the V11 because the pedals are so high that there is less pedal-to-top-of-shell height area that can catch the leg.

Either way it's a good thing to diversify wheel riding experience, because all wheel body physics differs, sometimes dramatically. It's hard to say you are adept at EUC if you can't jump on any EUC make and model that you are handed and ride naturally/comfortably.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Don’t. :P

Seriously though, are you planning on purchasing a non-suspension wheel, or why do you want to get better at riding them?

After the V11, every single (1500+ Wh) wheel will feel as having too low pedals and too wide a body. Those are just a few of the reasons I love the V11 so much.

I do plan on at least non-suspension wheel after EUC is a thing for me. I didn't start looking into more until I may need a faster wheel to better keep up in a fairly fast group ride, if not riding on the very edge of a V11.

Edited by madbikes