Wanting to upgrade my MSX 84v

As title suggests I’m after another wheel I use my MSX 84v everyday on mountain bike tracks hill climbs and daily commute, I’m looking at the RS19HT or the Begode EXN. I hear good and bad about the EXN.

Is there a night and day difference between the RS and EXN? Both priced similar….

Hope you all an shed some light cheers 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Either of those wheels would be quite close to your MSX on many aspects. What is it that you want more/different from your new wheel?

Thanks for the reply! So I’m after more power/torque for the hills I know the RS fits the bill but would it be that much more noticeable? Like light and day difference? The EXN has the larger motor so I’m guessing way more power, is it that much heavier when riding it? I don’t have access to a EXN here in NZ to try hence I’m here asking for advice…cheers again

3 hours ago, PourUC said:

If they are the same price, and the weight difference isn't something you care about. The EX is a better wheel. Larger battery and in theory more torque.

Thanks for your input! I do like the EXN but no one locally has one to test the RS feels slightly heavier which isn’t a problem I’m guessing the EXN is the size of a Sherman which I’ve see here in person and man that wheels big!! 

4 hours ago, KiwiMSX said:

Thanks for the reply! So I’m after more power/torque for the hills I know the RS fits the bill but would it be that much more noticeable? Like light and day difference?

Not night and day, but definitely a few levels up in the maximum available torque. But unless you are overpowering the MSX, you won’t feel any difference. Only if you manage to get your MSX to struggle and overpower on roots, bumps and steep inclines, you will notice that the RS has a lot more torque headroom. It can be pushed a lot more in steep inclines, and the pedals will still stay solid.

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Not night and day, but definitely a few levels up in the maximum available torque. But unless you are overpowering the MSX, you won’t feel any difference. Only if you manage to get your MSX to struggle and overpower on roots, bumps and steep inclines, you will notice that the RS has a lot more torque headroom. It can be pushed a lot more in steep inclines, and the pedals will still stay solid.

Ok gotcha! Now in relation to and power/torque would you say the EXN is superior and can accelerate harder then the RS? As both units have almost the same size motors? Or does the weight of the EXN hold it back and make it comparable? I appreciate your expertise! This will make my decision a lot clearer! 

26 minutes ago, KiwiMSX said:

Ok gotcha! Now in relation to and power/torque would you say the EXN is superior and can accelerate harder then the RS? As both units have almost the same size motors? Or does the weight of the EXN hold it back and make it comparable? I appreciate your expertise! This will make my decision a lot clearer! 

Always best to look up the specs yourself and see the numbers first hand instead of asking for motor size, weight etc….. 

as for riding comparison plenty of yt videos comparing Exn vs Rs…..

Bottom line

- If your happy the lower top speed and less range look at the Rs HT. 

- if you want higher top speed and more range get the Exn. 

as @mrelwood stated unless your maxing out your current wheel on your rides your not gonna notice much difference on a trail rides. Also with the extra weight of an exn don’t expect to be throwing it around like you do with your current msx. The added weight will be noticeable.

22 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Always best to look up the specs yourself and see the numbers first hand instead of asking for motor size, weight etc….. 

I agree, although what the numbers can tell is partially misleading, so asking for first hand experience is definitely warranted.

Now in relation to and power/torque would you say the EXN is superior and can accelerate harder then the RS?

That I do not know, as I don’t have direct first hand experience with either. But based on my guesses: RS19(HT) > EX.N > RS19(HS). I could be wrong about the order of the first two though.

But I’m quite sure that the differences in battery capacity, overall weight, and even the wheel’s body size between the two are generally larger factors in usability and user experience than the difference in peak torque. Any of the three will have one of the best peak torque available today, enough to satisfy even those whose cravings for torque shouldn’t even be fully satisfied… A little more skill goes much further than only more torque. I ride extremely tough and steep off-road hills and obstacles with the V11 without issues. And I weigh 103kg.

For more precise comparisons I would check if WrongWay has YouTube reviews or comparisons on the models. He tends to attempt to ride inclines of various angles to find the torque limit.

For me personally though, the sheer weight and size of the EX.N accompanied by the EX.N being touted as a “street warrior” would make me lean towards the RS19, and the HT version since it’s speeds are sufficient for me.

Although, in reality I wouldn’t pay a dime for any of the mentioned wheels for myself. :P

Edited by mrelwood

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I agree, although what the numbers can tell is partially misleading, so asking for first hand experience is definitely warranted.

That I do not know, as I don’t have direct first hand experience with either. But based on my guesses: RS19(HT) > EX.N > RS19(HS). I could be wrong about the order of the first two though.

But I’m quite sure that the differences in battery capacity, overall weight, and even the wheel’s body size between the two are generally larger factors in usability and user experience than the difference in peak torque. Any of the three will have one of the best peak torque available today, enough to satisfy even those whose cravings for torque shouldn’t even be fully satisfied… A little more skill goes much further than only more torque. I ride extremely tough and steep off-road hills and obstacles with the V11 without issues. And I weigh 103kg.

For more precise comparisons I would check if WrongWay has YouTube reviews or comparisons on the models. He tends to attempt to ride inclines of various angles to find the torque limit.

For me personally though, the sheer weight and size of the EX.N accompanied by the EX.N being touted as a “street warrior” would make me lean towards the RS19, and the HT version since it’s speeds are sufficient for me.

Although, in reality I wouldn’t pay a dime for any of the mentioned wheels for myself. :P

Perfect reply!!  just what I was looking for Thankyou for your valuable insight I weigh 85kg and I do like to “throw” my wheel around so I think RS19HT will be more then enough!!  thank you all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayhem said:

Always best to look up the specs yourself and see the numbers first hand instead of asking for motor size, weight etc

Sorry to mislead you Sir I wasn’t asking for specs ie motor sizes etc I already no those I’m just asking for a riders perspective as there’s no EXNs available to test only RS19 which I have tested thanks for your valuable input RS19 fits the bill cheers 

• Like 1