Ever been called a unich for riding your wheel?

helmet

On 7/24/2021 at 6:04 AM, Rehab1 said:

I had to look this up. :confused1:  After reading the definition my answer is No!

"They" don't actually need to be removed... Back in ye olde times, simply smashing them between a couple of good sized rocks was apparently quite effective.   :D

Now I know many say they take a ride to block out a bad day or troubled times. 

To me that is a bit hard to understand. Yes it blocked out all other things because I need to be alert of the ground and surroundings and fit into the traffic. 

My problem is if I have my mind drifting off I become unaware. That is when I have much higher risk of accidents.

So I tend not to ride when my mind is tired or troubled with bad moods. Now having a suspension wheel it mitigate some of the ground risk but things can still happen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

"They" don't actually need to be removed... Back in ye olde times, simply smashing them between a couple of good sized rocks was apparently quite effective.   :D

Thank you for that. I shan't be sleeping tonight...  

• Like 1

uhh.. no,, but ive been called the opposite quite a few times lol... however riding is what i do to relax

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It could be that riding is such a great killer of bad moods because it forces you to concentrate on riding and riding only. Whatever you had troubling your mind will woosh off right away. Going back to the issues after the ride, you can see things with a much wider perspective and without strong moods. Many things might solve themselves just like that.

100% correct. I know this for certain because as a former avid cross-country runner, not just the physical exertion but also the mental workout you get too, has an incredible effect on reducing stress and improving mood. You must really concentrate on where you put your feet as mistakes will be devastating. Clinical studies back it up, and uni riding most certainly requires a lot of mindfulness and attention, as well as being exercise too, although not intense. Also the constant subconscious processing of balance and visual stimuli strengthens your brain in a sense too. Of course, you're always one good faceplant away from bringing the dark clouds back!

• Like 3