S18 safe over current alarms in EUC World.

AKSkipper

Hello, everyone,

My new S18 is arriving today. (I have been riding 16X for almost a year). I've been reading complaints about small battery and dangers of S18 overloading and cutouts. I strongly believe that these dangers could be partially mitigated by setting over current alarms in EUC World. I understand that there is no one simple answer, because cutout current will be different in different situations, and will depend on the battery charge in the first place. But still, did anybody figure out safe values for over current alarms for S18?

1 hour ago, AKSkipper said:

. I understand that there is no one simple answer, because cutout current will be different in different situations, and will depend on the battery charge in the first place

Exactly cut out current (which us motor current) depends even more on the actual speed.

And battery current, as reported from the KS wheels has no "direct" correlation to reaching the overlean limit.

But exactly for this KS wheels report the "inverter load" == pwm duty percentage of the inverter (mosfets) which is reported by EUC World as safety margin (= 100% - inverter load).

And one can set in EUC World alarms on this value.

As the KS wheels have the 88% alarm (?5? consecutive beeps) in case inverter load reaches 88%.

1 hour ago, AKSkipper said:

But still, did anybody figure out safe values for over current alarms for S18?

As said, forget battery current alarms and stay with "safety margin"! That"s exactly what you are looking for.

The only sane current alarm is for begode(gotway) and veteran wheels which report motor current - there it can be taken as measure once mosfets/motor wires are in danger of beeing fried.

I ride with EUC world on a tic wris (watch phone) and a shoulder mounted speaker and i have the safety margin set to 5%.  I have experienced the false cutout (wheel tilts forward instead of back)  probably 6 or 7 times and it was only when i continued pushing after hearing the safety margin warning.  Ive never experienced full cut out at speed with this setup.

20 hours ago, Chriull said:

But exactly for this KS wheels report the "inverter load" == pwm duty percentage of the inverter (mosfets) which is reported by EUC World as safety margin (= 100% - inverter load).

And one can set in EUC World alarms on this value.

As the KS wheels have the 88% alarm (?5? consecutive beeps) in case inverter load reaches 88%.

As said, forget battery current alarms and stay with "safety margin"! That"s exactly what you are looking for.

So... what value do you recommend for the safety margin? Is is 12%?  My wheel came with 20%. Today i gave in a first ride and it was beeping like crazy and tilting back when I tried to accelerate moderately.

Edited by AKSkipper

S-18 is capped at like 12mph for the first 10km.  its really annoying.  I put 1500 miles on mine and then broke the charge port on my board.  I changed the board and completely forgot that having a new board would mean i had to go through that again. 

22 minutes ago, pkinpdx said:

S-18 is capped at like 12mph for the first 10km.  its really annoying.  I put 1500 miles on mine and then broke the charge port on my board.  I changed the board and completely forgot that having a new board would mean i had to go through that again. 

That would suck 😆

1 hour ago, Dreygun said:

Brand new wheel is capped at low speed (can't remember), but you can unlock to higher speed and alarms after initial 10km ridden through eucworldapp. Is it this?

No, it is not. This is motor overload protection, which is apparently reported as "safety margin" alarm.

Can you run EUC World? It would be interesting to see the logs‚ if you 'start a tour' and 'finish a tour', in the logs it'll plot the safety margin so you can see where you are. If you're past 10km on the wheel, and the 1st and 2nd alarms are "off" and it's still beeping constantly, there might be something wrong.

Thanks everyone for your input.

But the best advice was:

On 7/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, pkinpdx said:

I ride with EUC world on a tic wris (watch phone) and a shoulder mounted speaker and i have the safety margin set to 5%.  I have experienced the false cutout (wheel tilts forward instead of back)  probably 6 or 7 times and it was only when i continued pushing after hearing the safety margin warning.  Ive never experienced full cut out at speed with this setup.

I changed the "Safety Margin" from factory 20% to 10% and have not had tilt backs ever since. And I am getting enough torque with this setup so far. Will go to 5% if I ever need more torque in the future.

2 hours ago, AKSkipper said:

Thanks everyone for your input.

But the best advice was:

I changed the "Safety Margin" from factory 20% to 10% and have not had tilt backs ever since. And I am getting enough torque with this setup so far. Will go to 5% if I ever need more torque in the future.

With the delays and low sampling rates of the reported values 5% should be useless. Even 10% is a very low safety margin.

With some courageous acceleration the build in 12% margin gives some roughly 0.5sec prewarning. An external 20% alarm could maybe already be something alike this - useless for stronger accelerations at higher speeds.

Best you fit them to your driving behaviour - set it as high as possible without triggering it.

• Like 2