Anyone have experience riding an EUC in Upstate New York?

Tiger1134

I've been wanting to get an EUC but I can't find an answer about if its even legal here in New York state, from what few laws I have found it looks like it might be technically illegal but I know there is a massive community of EUC riders down in New York City, so is the law just not being enforced? or did I just miss a law making them legal there.

I'd really like to get one and use it instead of a car when I can, they seem super fun and a good way to get around. 
I just don't want to spend all this money on an EUC and get pulled over, fined and have it confiscated.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 10:15 AM, Tiger1134 said:

"technically illegal"....

I'm not aware of that but you might wanna double check on your research and share your findings here. If there's such a law then I'm sure state-wide enforcement affects the city as well. I've ridden up to Westchester county so far and no qualms.

Locally, I've had NYPD officers asked how my mten3 works and have ridden on the sidewalks without issue. Of course, always riding with caution and consideration. Riding a bike on the sidewalk is an instant $60-$75 ticket and they won't hesitate writing that out.

IIRC, years ago the NYPD were using Segways patrolling inside the Times Square subway hub and at Central Park. 

Edited by Surfling

I've been riding around Albany and I often pass cops multiple times per ride (they're everywhere here!). So far I've never been pulled over or questioned, though I've noticed cops briefly following me a couple of times probably just to see what I'm up to. I was worried that I'd have trouble due to Albany's recent crackdown on off-road vehicles, but so far not at all.

I haven't seen any law applying to EUCs on the street, so I consider it a legal gray area. However, e-bikes and e-scooters are legal on roads with speed limits up to 30mph, so I think EUC street riding is consistent with the spirit of the law.

In Albany motorized vehicles and bicycles are illegal to ride on sidewalks but I've never seen that enforced. I think it's something you can get away with as long as you aren't causing trouble. People also seem fine with them on bike trails like the Empire State Trail, despite motorized vehicles technically not being allowed.

Here's a thread from earlier where I was also worrying about this-

• Like 1

I have ridden in Penn Yann, Ithaca, including Cornell Campus, Vestal, and lots of small towns, Spencer, Owego, Candor. No problems with the law, just curious looks, sometimes a smile and a wave. Like it was posted above, electric scooters and Electric bikes are legal, if anyone asks you, tell em it’s half an electric bike😛Now if you’re running over little children on a sidewalk or bike path, all bets are off.

Thanks for the replies.
I have spent a lot of time in the last few days trying to find any law that might make them illegal here, but laws seem to always be either too specific or to vague to make much sense, they do fit with the spirit of the law that makes electric scooters legal but at the same time, because the law specifically mentions 2 wheels and handle bars, electric unicycles don't exactly fall under it.
I hate trying to figure out what is or isn't technically illegal, laws are a mess with no/poor definitions, then its up to cops to enforce the law or not, one cop says yes that's illegal and another one says other wise.
I just know that around the time I'd be commuting to work there is always a cop car going down the road, and I'd really hate for that cop to see me all bright in safety gear and reflectors on a wheel and think.. "hmm that's no scooter" and pull me over, but maybe I'm just paranoid. 

I am probably just paranoid. 

On 7/22/2021 at 11:20 PM, Rollbot said:

I have ridden in Penn Yann, Ithaca, including Cornell Campus, Vestal, and lots of small towns, Spencer, Owego, Candor. No problems with the law, just curious looks, sometimes a smile and a wave. Like it was posted above, electric scooters and Electric bikes are legal, if anyone asks you, tell em it’s half an electric bike😛Now if you’re running over little children on a sidewalk or bike path, all bets are off.

Chooch!

It's always much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Go buy an EUC and ride it. Act like you own the road. No one is going to bother you. 

My other advice is move out of NY as fast as you can. The taxes, anti 2nd amendment laws and the weather all SUCK balls. I lived in albany and troy for 23 years. F NY hard!

Edited by d0n