Day #1 in the books 3 hours practice

No1up

8 hrs in first two days is an awful lot. Go play with something else a bit, youll come back tomorrow even better... See, now you've ridden almost 1/2mile or so already. How long ago was it that even that seemed near impossible? Patience Danielson..

• Like 2

One setting I found very helpful when I was starting out was the Pedal Tilt - try setting it to 5* .  Pretty soon you'll be jumping school buses at the X Games. Or not........... ;)

Edited by UniBlab

It tilts your pedal upwards so you have even more leverage upon forward acceleration - try it; you could always set it where you like best.  Report back with your findings. That is all................

11 hours ago, No1up said:

Day 3 practice.. total of 10 hours of actual practice.. rode 3 times around the block. 9mph top speed. I need to gain better control, also mounting still takes a few tries but I've only practiced kick starting.  So far so good. I'm on it, I'm riding it, I'm controlling it for the most part. From hour 1.. there's been leaps and bounds of progress I think. 

Awesome!! You have it now! :thumbup: I think that you learned the hard way. Less than an hour each day until you can ride care free is easiest. My wife has no balance and had no hope yet 15 minutes each day got her riding. Now she begs me to go out and ride. (I ride at work) The next step is making sure that when you ride you have a purpose. Following a trail or getting from here to there not random open spaces. Around the block is good. Then once you are comfortable learn to carve. Nothing makes you one with your wheel quicker than carving. 

• Like 2

Ok, so about the same as yesterday. Still need better mounting, and better control. But I can ride it. Any tips to improve from this point? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No1up said:

Ok, so about the same as yesterday. Still need better mounting, and better control. But I can ride it. Any tips to improve from this point? 

Ride more! That's the best way to progress. Challenge yourself. Go over bumps, do figure of eights, ride in grass, ride in gravel, but don't go faster than you are comfortable with; the speed will come on it's own.

• Like 2

I'm in the same position as you, bought an InMotion V10f a couple of weeks ago. I needed about 5 days (but I was also doing hours a day) to be able to do it. But I still couldn't free mount reliable without some false starts, which made me afraid to go in traffic sometimes (stopping at red lights, being able to start with bikes behind you, cars next to you, ...) 

I just focused on mounting an afternoon and the best tip I got was: try and go a couple of meters on one leg (your dominant leg of course). That's the muscles you use to be able to free mount reliably. I thought it seemed very difficult and impossible (you do it by big steps on one leg, the sliding thing, Go George has it in his video). I thought it would take me hours, but actually (after already being able to ride and doing some mounting), only about 20-30 minutes of trying, and I could do a couple of slow meters on one leg. That made me able to pretty reliably free mount. Once I had that, I was comfortable to always go in traffic. I'm still nervous in very busy places but I forced myself to just do a lot of kilometers on the wheel and if I felt uncomfortable, I did small things on foot. As people here said: look at what you have been able to do in a couple of days. 

I never had great balance. If I was on a bike, and lifted one arm, I would already start swinging a bit. So I thought me learning an EUC, never having done skiing or skating or other big sports, was a horrible idea. But after about 5 days I could do the basics, and a week after that I was in traffic. For something I and other people thought 'I could never do', 1-2 weeks seems very short in being able to usefully do it. (Not talking about being great at it, that will come with the experience of months)

EDIT: looking at your original post, the best tool that actually helped me before starting, was everyone here and in videos, saying it takes about a small week for *most* average people to do the basics, and 2 weeks for most people to be comfortable in traffic. I never had an expectancy to do it in in a couple of hours or a couple of days. That was by far the best mental 'trick' I had, so all the progress I made was perfectly in line with what I expected so I didn't feel discouraged. 

Edited by sidderke
  • Like 2

Ride, ride, ride. The more comfortable you get, the less your brain tells your muscles to micro manage the adjustments and you'll be able to fully relax. Like mentioned above, keep trying little challenges. Dodging litle markings on path or something, figure eights (to get comfy steering both ways, slow tight turns. Focus on relaxing body while doing stuff so your moves are less twitchy/ managed. The more you ride, the better you'll get, but rest is also a great mental reset.

• Like 1

My wife says that you might have days when you regress a bit. Don't worry about that. It is not a wall, it is just a hurdle. Think of it as a review of skills before moving to the next level. She is right. .......... 

• Like 3

Mounting is probably the hardest thing to get consistently as there are so many variables. 3 months on and I still don't get it right 100% of the time. Fatigue, mental state and the terrain affect it. You will still be developing and strengthening your muscles for months yet. To help with this try mounting  on different slopes and cambers. Its amazing how a seemingly slight incline slope  affects the effort needed to launch (well it does for me anyway). My particular goals once I had mastered going in a straight line and turns were 180's and wide/tight circles on tarmac, off road, forest trails, jump up curbs, matching braking to current top speed i'm comfortable with, one leg (both), down stairs (2-4), Backwards, forward and back on the spot, spin on spot, 180 twist, Jumping, more stairs, Up Stairs, look into other tricks after this. In that order. I am currently at going backwards (shaky) and going forwards and back (not mastered yet) so plenty more to keep me occupied. I train 5 days a week for 1-2 hours, repeating everything I have learned plus the new task. No time limits, no expectations, just loving the whole experience.

• Like 2

What is this.. day 5? 

Did some trail riding, practicing kick mounting, and control, getting much much better. I'd recommend getting away from wide open space as soon as possible. Trail riding forced me to gain control. My daughter with me on her pint! 

So far. My thoughts.  

Onewheel much funner to ride, carving comes so natural at medium to slow speed its just a blast. But I have MUCH more experience with the OW so only time will tell. I'm enjoying the EUC journey now. My plan was to sell the OW but now I'm thinking I'll keep both they are just so much fun. And lord knows as an adult.. I need some fun in my life. I don't think I'm ready for group rides on the euc yet but I'll get there and it'll be a blast! And no more battery worries! Lol 

I unlocked my s18 shock but so far, I can't tell much difference.  Maybe I set the psi wrong? Too high? I'm 225ish with gear. What would you guys recommend? 

Also, for anyone learning on an EUC, I'd recommend an elastic workout band. The flat ones. My euc is 99% damage free because of being able to catch it with the band. It only took one small spill day one before I got the idea to wrap my band around it. It has allowed me to learn without worrying about my EUC. 

Edited by No1up

3 hours ago, No1up said:

My plan was to sell the OW but now I'm thinking I'll keep both they are just so much fun.

Yeah that was my plan too. Untill I never rode it anymore.
Sold it to buy a near mint second hand 16X (and a floatwheel + some other stuff). I will never look back in terms of performance, especially offroad.
The only thing I miss from OW is the stance. With an EUC I can get up to very steep hills while the OW struggled with small inclines.

You'll get to the point of thinking about selling your OW sooner than you think!
Riding faster and turning better takes courage and commitment, which is only gained by riding more!

21 minutes ago, ArieKanarie said:

Yeah that was my plan too. Untill I never rode it anymore.
Sold it to buy a near mint second hand 16X (and a floatwheel + some other stuff). I will never look back in terms of performance, especially offroad.
The only thing I miss from OW is the stance. With an EUC I can get up to very steep hills while the OW struggled with small inclines.

You'll get to the point of thinking about selling your OW sooner than you think!
Riding faster and turning better takes courage and commitment, which is only gained by riding more!

Sounds like my plan as well. My Pint and XR are sitting on the other side of the garage collecting dust right now. After learning to ride an EUC, I don't think I've put in more than 10 miles on either board. 

I was originally looking at one wheels but the performance to cost ratio put me off and the versatility of EUC's is better. But I have heard from others they are so much fun to ride (generally more so than EUC's) and so I may get one one day for a different experience.  Better if the price dropped. Always room for fun.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, The Brahan Seer said:

I was originally looking at one wheels but the performance to cost ratio put me off and the versatility of EUC's is better. But I have heard from others they are so much fun to ride (generally more so than EUC's) and so I may get one one day for a different experience.  Better if the price dropped. Always room for fun.

The fun factor really depends on your needs. I really enjoy riding offroad on MTB trails with hills, jumps etc. and I did not enjoy that on OW since it nosedives every time you try anything more than a simple bump. Flat ashpalt or gravel roads? OW. Serious offroading? EUC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

The fun factor really depends on your needs. I really enjoy riding offroad on MTB trails with hills, jumps etc. and I did not enjoy that on OW since it nosedives every time you try anything more than a simple bump.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah that would be a bummer, I like off road more than flat roads, probably give one wheel a miss to own.

Day#6 

Went for a 14 mile ride. Had a blast. Lots of twisty turns and ups and downs. I was very stiff when we started, but loosened up towards the end. Had one little spill (still caught my wheel with my rubber leash). 😅 I was going slow and just out of nowhere lost control. Had to pop off. Mounting is getting easier, still dread it as much as dismounting the Onewheel XR. I HATE dismounting the XR. Loved going up inclines without having to worry if the wheel could handle it. I'm always iffy on the Onewheel. She can't handle much climb. Few times Had to get off and walk for a bit, loved having the trolly handle. Not 100% my suspension is set correctly as it almost feels the same locked or unlocked. 

I'm actually not sure which way it is to lock it and unlock it so I just try both and they both feel about the same. I SHOULD read the manual.. lol 😆

I worry about pushing hard if only because on the OW if you have a spill, th board is tough as nails. The EUC doesn't seem like it would hold up to a tough spill. 🤔 that's not just just s18, my buddy's 16x seems like that too. Maybe even more so. Loved my buddies cool light show. 😎

So, about 6 days and I'm doing 10+ miles! We've come a long way since day one people! That's an achievement. I honestly didn't think it would be possible. I mean, those first few days, or actual practice hours were BRUTAL. BRUTAL! I'm glad I padded my s18 up and wrapped that band on it. If I cleaned it up, it could pass off as New. I highly recommend that to any new rider. No need to trash your wheel while learning.  Plan on doing a large group ride on Thursday. 14 miles one way. 28 miles total! I'm so happy not to worry about battery range! I only used like 12% last night 🤣 my avg speed was about 8mph with a few 12mph peaks! 

I did change the decline on the peddles to -2° which really helped in comfort. Also changed the ride to medium? I forgot the name but the one in the middle on EUC world app. I'm up and running. It's just a matter of putting the miles in to get proficient.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

The fun factor really depends on your needs. I really enjoy riding offroad on MTB trails with hills, jumps etc. and I did not enjoy that on OW since it nosedives every time you try anything more than a simple bump. Flat ashpalt or gravel roads? OW. Serious offroading? EUC.

Right, OW if fine for off road trails that aren't too rough. I'd easily take the EUC on anything more than just a dirt path. The Onewheel would fail and you'd basically have to carry the thing for the majority of the trip.  Couldn't even trolly it lol.. 

Did you adjust the shock rebound rate using the dial at top of shock? Seems decent about 7 to 10 clicks from fully open/ fast for me. Spin all the way to one end and push wheel down to see the speed it bounces back up, then you know which way to start counting from

Can't remwmber. Turn all the way to one side and push down on wheel. If it is super slow rebounding, go all the qay to opposite end and then go back 7 to 10 clicks and you should be good.