Day #1 in the books 3 hours practice

I've learned two things today.

#1 I'll never spend $2,000 on a whim again

#2 I'm an idiot for spending $2000 

I managed to get a feel for it a bit. Only took one spill that left a scratch no big deal. I was not able to do anything successfully... please tell me people don't get it on day 1. ūüėꬆ

This is much harder than I thought. And I thought it was going to be hard. Had I known I would not have bought in. However, I'm here, and I'm not going to quite YET. 2 weeks is my cut off, if I see no progress by then I'll stop banging my head against the wall and just sell it and take the L. You can tell my spirits are down today. It was not a good day. I hope I can change my tone soon. Going to have my wife walk besides me tomorrow so I can move around on it a bit. Other than that, I don't see any other way to improve. 

My wheel doesn't have ANY go power. I wish I could get it up to speed as I think this would help but either it's locked out of actual riding speed or the s18 was built to be a child's toy. ūüėē¬†

I'll report back day #2. 

Hang yer toes clear off the front of the pedals. Believe me, it has power. It’s not a beginners wheel. 
I went to the lonely end of Wallyworld parking lot and pushed a cart around the first four sessions on the 16s.

That may help.

Best,

-It should have plenty of power, its just that it has a big wheel so you need to put more into it. The 18*3 has more inertia than a smaller wheel. 

-Maybe try putting it in soft mode if its not already in it, that should make accelerating at least a bit easier.

-Try using a low tire pressure while learning. It will make it less twitchy and dampen sudden movements. (this helped me a lot when I was learning) Just remember to raise the pressure again once you're able to ride or you risk damage to your rim (if you hit a curb or rock or land hard).

-look far in the distance in the direction you want to go, not down at the wheel. (This was kind of my aha moment when learning)

-I think the s18 is speed limited for the first 6 miles or so, after which you can unlock the full speed, but that shouldn't affect the acceleration. Besides, the limited speed should be plenty fast enough to have the stability you need. (Just saw that Tawpie said the same thing)

-It definitely isn't bad not to get it the first day. It took me a few hours to be able to ride on a sidewalk, but i am young and am fairly athletic. A friend of mine was able to ride 200m first try, another got it in an hour (one was a manual unicycle rider and another a skater), and another has several hours on it and can't even roll 1m. From what I've read on the forum it seems it takes anywhere from an hour to a couple weeks.

-Just keep trying, you will get it sooner or later. It is so worth it! Good luck!

Edited by Menace
Clarification

Try not to lose heart, it took me 6 hours over 3 days (2hours a day) just to be able to travel shakily with cumbersome turns. If it was too easy the reward you will feel once you get it wouldn't be as great. Embrace this time as once you learn there's no going back (unless you get a stroke and forget everything again). As already stated when learning to travel in a straight line the most important thing is to look straight ahead and not at your feet; this is so important! Actually set a point B you want to travel to, look at it and go for it. Enjoy the learning curve it is the best feeling when you get it and I guarantee you will. Set your intention at the start of each day, Relax, I am in no rush and will do this. Its not a race. Most important Enjoy!

One more thing. A guy once posted that he could not lean any further forward, his hands were touching the ground. You have to actually lean, not bend forward. Do the Michael Jackson lean. Put weight on the front of the pedal. 

Day #2 practice session 1 (1hr time). No joy. Like none.. still thinking about how much I should sell this for. 

I put one of my large workout rubber bands on it to save it from spills. GREAT idea, must have saved her 20 spills. I managed to get about 3ft but that's about it. Practice session tonight with my wife holding my hand for a bit maybe I can gain some balance handling experience.  So, mounting, dismounting, acceleration, deceleration, and balancing are all different aspects of this thing. Problem is my leg muscle gives out after 15min it's done. Frustration sets in and progress, if any stops. Finding its as much mental as it is physical. I'm not sure I have it in me, as I just wanted it to have some fun like my OW. I've had the opposite of fun so far. I'm hoping to ONLY lose about $400 on it but I'll probably end up taking a bath as I just don't see ANY progress.  I do feel better that if I end up selling it, it won't be all jacked up. Yay rubber band! 

Practice session #2 tonight.  I have a stop loss set at 50 hrs. If I can't get it in 50 hrs, I'll stop punishing myself and just go have fun on my OW. 

OW in the corner laughing it's ass off.. ūü§£¬†

Edited by No1up

Don't give up. It'll click in your brain all of a sudden when it decides to and you'll be like, "oh, so that's how to do it." Took me 50 mins for it to "click" and I can't skate or roller blade, But up until 49 mins, I was in a panic thinking " why tf did I just spend so much on something I can't use". Now riding is all I think about all day at work. On third wheel now, since first purchase just before winter lol. Once you get it, there's no regret or looking back

1 hour ago, No1up said:

I'm drenched in sweat. Best $2000 workout equipment ever made lol

You've hit the nail on the head, it is a work out to begin with, you are learning to use muscles you haven't used before. Each day you will get fitter and it WILL become easier. 

The beginning is the hardest part of this and does get easier from then on.

If you want to try something different find a pole you can use to hold onto and turn around on. (Something like an american football post or equivalent is ideal)

Go backwards and forwards slightly on it to get used to the feel of the wheel then turn around  clockwise for 5 mins then 5mins the other, again get used to the feel of the wheel, once you have done this try going from a point a to a point b, start small distances and then increase. Goodluck. 

You've probably thought about this, but having a long wall or fence is could be helpful. Practicing going from one end to the other while holding a wall or fence might help you, as it'll force you to concentrate on your feet and legs until the idea of riding "clicks." 

It takes conviction. YOu also need ignore the asshats that claim pro status in 1 day. Evenif tru, good for them. Not everything enjoyable is easy. The euc is one of those things. How long did it take you to get good on a bicycle as a kid? DId yuo learn to walk on day one? I think patience and determination are what is lacking here, not your ability. How odd that I didnt assume it would be easy, yet everyone else seems to. Placing a time limit on yourself is also a hinderance. View it as a challenge and a journey, not a task that NEEDS figured out in any certain time-frame. My goal was to ride to my gas station within a YEAR! Perhaps your goals are a shade lofty? If you use a fence, be sure to NOT put your fingers thru the links and dont wedge the wheel into it. The wheel has plenty of power, you just need center your balance on the pedals more forward. Toes off the edge but dont grip with them.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

As @Tawpie said just 30 minutes a day. I usually say 15 but 30 is good too. Don’t over think it. Your lower brain does better and sleep helps. 

In the beginning it is a workout! At some point it actually gets too easy. I miss the second week to third month learning time. I wouldn’t mind erasing my skills and starting over. 

Muscle development isnt overnight either. I'd wait at least 2 weeks before making any judgements. We also arent building muscle as much as conditioning. Hence, short sessions. If you tire yourself you get worse. Mental devlopement is also not overnight. You need to take breaks as your mind is learning things you are unaware of, as you sleep.

Edited by ShanesPlanet