Odd spontaneous turn OFF.... Display shows "OFF" then turns off.... ALSO, is 169° too hot???

Phi1osopher

My new Sherman spontaneously turned off on me today as I was getting ready to leave on a ride.  Worked perfectly last ride. Battery was 100% charged.

I turned it on, walked/idled it 15 feet to my front porch and leaned it against a wall as I put on my helmet and gloves. I looked back about 1 minute later and it was off...  I turned it back on and the display showed "OFF" then it turned off.  Did this several times in a row.  I came back 15 minutes later after trying to google some answers and I think it is staying on...  I have observed that the wheel does not display "OFF" when actually turning it off, so there was some internal process that was turning off the wheel.  Now I am nervous about riding the wheel, afraid it may turn off on me while riding. 

I also have been wondering what is the normal temperature for the wheel.  The wheel has been in my 78°F house, but EUC world (full app) indicates a 115 degree temperature for the wheel as it sat there leaning against the wall.  Its about 85°F outside, but I had not yet started riding....  On my last few rides around town I have seen temps around 169°F.  This was during mildly spirited 30mph riding on mostly flat terrain. With full gear I weigh about 240lbs on the wheel.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

9 hours ago, Phi1osopher said:

• in my 78°F house,
  • indicates a 115 degree temperature
  • its about 85°F outside,
  • On my last few rides around town I have seen temps around 169°F
  • I weigh about 240lbs on the wheel.

Firstly, translating to my preferred units so I can help…

• in my 25.5°C house,
  • indicates a 46ºC degree temperature
  • its about 30°C outside,
  • On my last few rides around town I have seen temps around 76°C. 
  • I weigh about 108 kg on the wheel.

I have a V1 Sherman, and this largely correlates with my own experience. I weight about the same as you. The temps on the wheel jump up from ambient to around 40–50ºC  (104–122ºF) whenever it is on and idle and during light riding. I was riding this weekend in hills in 30ºC temperatures and the temp climbed to 61ºC (140 F) at one point but quickly recovered to the low 50ºC (122 F).

I would share the route but it has my home at the start/end.

Secondly, check your time to power off setting — item 23 in the menu (on firmware 1058).

image.thumb.png.1e5cf644afa0b62dcca9236e4e684a21.png

• Like 1