Padding for comfort and grip?

mrbandersnatch

A full trip around my local park today (about 10Km) suggests I've finally got the hang of my IPS 121 (so much fun) - however the grazing on my ankles and pain in my feet I have to do something about (not any fun at all).

I can't help but think that some (thick) padding on the side of the unicycle would stop the chaffing *and* allow me to grip better - has anyone any suggestions as to what to use though? Preferably that doesn't look too terrible also ;)

This is what I used.  It is removable after you decide you don't need it.  I thought it was cheap and easy to work with.  It has stood up well.  After a couple bad spills I took part of it off and reinstalled with fresh "tape".  Wow, I think a just did my first sales pitch. :blink:  Anyway I do like it and it has helped my legs.  I have covered most of my Wheel with it, but when I covered the red part on the sides I really noticed the difference.

http://www.banggood.com/Airwheel-Electric-Unicycle-Bumper-Strip-Wheelbarrow-Protective-Strip-p-957046.html

The usual thing used with double sided tape to hold it on (which comes with it) is as linked below

Some was supplied with my EUC, but I bought some more from (and got the above photo from) here: http://www.banggood.com/Airwheel-Electric-Unicycle-Bumper-Strip-Wheelbarrow-Protective-Strip-p-957046.html.

Anything fatter than this I would think would make it difficult to place your feet comfortably on the footrests? 

I found it better to leave the wheel looking neat and clean and pad my legs instead. I used shin pads twisted around to the inside and worn low so as to protect the ankle bone.

After a few weeks I found I was no longer trying to grip except when jumping and that there was no longer any need for padding on anything other than my M10's.

If you stick padding to the wheel as many do it looks crap and is murder to remove later when you don't really need it.

The padding can be applied without making the wheel look like sh*t, and making it possible to tear down the wheel without removing a single pad, with a little bit of preplanning and care (don't cover any screwholes, cut the padding to two pieces where it goes over seams):

padding.jpg

padd1.jpgpadd2.jpgpadd3.jpgpadd4.jpg

Although these were only meant to protect the shell, not my legs... that's what the silicone/rubber pads in the Firewheel itself are for:

sides.jpg

Sorry for the image overload   ;)

As for comfort, I've been wearing hiking boots and also noticed that my knee pads are wide enough to partially cover my shin from the side (that's probably why I never got any discomfort or bruising in my shins)... also the rubber/silicone pads in the wheel itself help, and Firewheel pedals are superb for comfort anyway.

1 minute ago, Colestien said:

@esaj, So you speek like you think mt Wheel Doesn't look good:(.  Just joking, I know I used way to much, but I wanted to stop worrying about the Wheel.  I can now thorow mine out a window and not worry about it.:P

I'm not that much into looks, more into wheel power & mileage... My answer was mostly to Gimlets' points:

5 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I found it better to leave the wheel looking neat and clean and pad my legs instead. I used shin pads twisted around to the inside and worn low so as to protect the ankle bone.

After a few weeks I found I was no longer trying to grip except when jumping and that there was no longer any need for padding on anything other than my M10's.

If you stick padding to the wheel as many do it looks crap and is murder to remove later when you don't really need it.

The point was, the padding can be applied without spoiling the looks of the wheel yet protection on the right places (I rolled the Firewheel around it's sides and top on the floor to see which points hit the ground) and by taking care how the padding is applied (like said, don't cover screw holes and cut from seams), it doesn't need to be removed at all to do repairs. And as it looks good, no need to remove it, ever.

21 hours ago, Colestien said:

This is what I used.  It is removable after you decide you don't need it.  I thought it was cheap and easy to work with.  It has stood up well.  After a couple bad spills I took part of it off and reinstalled with fresh "tape".  Wow, I think a just did my first sales pitch. :blink:  Anyway I do like it and it has helped my legs.  I have covered most of my Wheel with it, but when I covered the red part on the sides I really noticed the difference.

http://www.banggood.com/Airwheel-Electric-Unicycle-Bumper-Strip-Wheelbarrow-Protective-Strip-p-957046.html

Thanks for the information all - I don't think this protective material looks bad (no wonder I couldn't find it), especially since the IPS already looks rather 'functional' in its design missing some of the razzmatazz of the latest models. Black with red go-faster stripes it is! 

18 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I protected the wheel by attaching a strap to my belt with about 100mm slack, just enough to let it get clear of my feet but not enough to get caught and tangled in the wheel.

@Gimlet  How about a photo of your "belt to wheel leash" please. What is used for the connections, carabiners, other?

Where do you attach it to your EUC?

Maybe an elastic coiled leash might work well as the slack would be taken up to avoid wheel entanglement?

I really think this idea could serves multiple purposes.

Protects the wheel housing, prevents "runaway" and just maybe "the" solution for riding in public safety concerns from authorities?

ukj

post-127-0-00443800-1429828964_thumb.jpgSafety of others was my primary concern and reason for using a leash.

I took the leashes off of my ski boards as they were about the right length with a cord loop one end which was passed through the euc handle and a QD buckle similar to a bike helmet strap the other end for attaching around my belt.

Lots of people have concerns about the euc getting in the way when you come off but with about 100mm slack when standing on the wheel you get an extra 100mm when you step off which is enough for the wheel to be about 600mm/900mm away from your feet if you remain standing and a lot further if you actually fall.

11 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

post-127-0-00443800-1429828964_thumb.jpgSafety of others was my primary concern and reason for using a leash.

I took the leashes off of my ski boards as they were about the right length with a cord loop one end which was passed through the euc handle and a QD buckle similar to a bike helmet strap the other end for attaching around my belt.

Lots of people have concerns about the euc getting in the way when you come off but with about 100mm slack when standing on the wheel you get an extra 100mm when you step off which is enough for the wheel to be about 600mm/900mm away from your feet if you remain standing and a lot further if you actually fall.

If the leash is attached to the belt during a sudden stall when hitting a curb or pothole, can you safely run off in front of the EUC?

Yes! No problem. My son even managed to run off a top speed cut out on my Msuper high torque whilst using a leash. That's 27/28kph indicated speed which is about 24/25kph real speed and the Msuper is just about as hefty a wheel as you get.

Archived