I used 2 yoga blocks like thisGl9nYB7.jpg

Initial designs and resultsBLJMyNo.jpg

iUNQ4Un.jpg

feFhy6l.jpg

Then I managed to get it smaller, as the material is strong enough

0HGyRYX.jpeg

g2IaXby.jpg

R6PQsLf.jpg

The hardest part was gluing them on my MCM5 because the shell is quite curvy, so I had to mimic the curves on the back side of the pads, for better sticking.

I managed to go up some high curbs, so jumping works. Acceleration and braking much improved!

Edited by amomymous
  • Like 1

Nice! I got some kneeling foam blocks from Harbor Freight for $6 and it looks to be a similar density. How did you cut the foam?

I really want a smaller wheel like MCM5 for hopping up curbs. I have to bonk with my MSX it's so heavy that I can barely get off the ground.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:31 PM, amomymous said:

g2IaXby.jpg

The shape looks quite limiting, forcing one to straight-legged riding. Otherwise they look very functional! I’m rooting for cheap DIY pads as well.

4 hours ago, jtm94 said:

my MSX it's so heavy that I can barely get off the ground.

There is a technique to it. I kept looking at the Russian videos where the crazy people get their MSXs in the air all the way up to three steps of stairs, and thought that it can’t be just plain power.

You kind of have to jump and keep pulling the wheel up. At first I just made a short big jolt, but it didn’t do much, other than get me exhausted fast. Imagine yourself jumping in slow motion, and keep pulling the wheel up. A full curb is not that hard after all!

20 minutes ago, amomymous said:

Yeah smaller wheels are fun, only if they had higher top speeds.

There’s a reason why wheels with small tires and/or small battery packs don’t go fast. Increasing just the speed would lead to a catastrophe way too easily. I think that’s a big problem with small Gotways, they let the user ride much faster than what’s safe on a small wheel with a small tire.

Edited by mrelwood

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The shape looks quite limiting, forcing one to straight-legged riding. Otherwise they look very functional! I’m rooting for cheap DIY pads as well.

Yeah, I made them quite limiting but I really love the responsiveness - acceleration and braking is just a small lean away. You can even see in the picture that I glued an additional piece, to make it a closer fit.

But these are my first power pads, I'm still experimenting - might change things around.

• Like 2