How long before I get over the "bash my ankles" stage of learning to ride EUC?

Guest d0n

In my case shins suffered more (the top edge of the KS16 or of its pads presses against the shin very painfully), so I used some cheap shin guards (designed for soccer and a bit bulky) for the first several hours of learning. For ankles I suggest ankle guards or simply wearing high-top sneakers/boots. I always wear these guards and they earned their keep in my one serious crash. I clipped a stick with a pedal, which stopped and turned the euc. As a result my leg hit the euc (while I flew forward), leaving a glorious blue bruise the size of an eggplant. However, the ankle area (which would be the center of the eggplant) was completely unharmed - thanks to the guards. Anyway, they are really nice and quick to put on and prevent any discomfort from pressing or rubbing against the wheel. I also appreciate the Achilles tendon protection -- I can easily imagine a low-speed crash where the euc would strike this area with a pedal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d0n said:

Ow. This sucks. Does everyone go through this when learning to ride or am I just a major clutz? 

I cannot speak for everyone, but that picture looks very familiar. Oh, that was my leg when I was learning.

That is a fairly common issue when learning. After your feet wise-up, it becomes a non-issue. @Ubute had a creative solution. He is a creative craftsman. Most try to find some padded high-top sneakers or boots, or some kind of athletic pads. 

I think it's one of those things that we all go through. When you see another wheel on the road no matter what you know you both know what it feels like to have a wheel spin around and nail you ankle or shin bone. 

Any discomfort from just riding will go away pretty quick, a pedal strike from a doing wheel can rear it's ugly anytime you bounce off and land back on the pedals with only one foot :rolleyes:

Ankle badge. I wore soccer guards until I was pretty good at getting on and off… after that haven’t needed them. Until I got the MTen and that’s an angry little begger. So the soccer kit came out again for a week, now it’s back in the box until the next wheel arrives.

I do wear high top hiking boots, but that’s mostly to avoid a sprain. Not all my get-offs are graceful.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Soft shin guards help, when worn turned to face the wheel.

There's a downside though - the wheel can't float between your legs and it adds strain to the inner side of the knees too.

Skateboarders ankle guards are great. If you don't plan on riding trails you'll not need them as soon you will be confident in stepping off without getting hit, but no matter how good you get, if you ride mtn bike trails with rough ground and steep side slopes you will at one point slam a pedal into a rock or root and it will sit you down in a hurry while your wheel spins around and slams your ankle. 30 bucks at your local skate shop and it saves you a world of hurt

• Like 2

Looks like my ankle when I was learning :rolleyes: Trick is not to step in front of the pedals when bailing, step off to the side or rear. Also, wear shoes that go above the ankle at first. Classic EUC "growing pains" :lol:.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, Singasong said:

What in God's name is that in the background, is it an 90s Nokia phone? Is that for real or for ironic intent? 

It works, but I prefer the Moto Quantico.

• 2 weeks later...

Ankle bashing happens to everyone that rides rough trails. Mtn bikes don't have to worry about pedals hitting a rock or root but that's the biggest problem for uni riders on trails. Unless you've ridden the trail before it's impossible to gauge how high each and every obstacle is, it's part of the challenge! So when your pedal jams into a big ole root the wheel can spin around before it falls over and cuts out, and like a heat seeing missile, will slam either your ankles or shins. Obviously the trails I'm referring to are blue square and some black diamond ones, and on the west coast every level of trail has some sizeable rocks and roots so pedal slams are the norm when you're riding new trails! Ankle guard are the answer, and i wear mtn bikers shin and knee guards too. I still get bruises even with them!

I held on to my Motorola flip-phone until 2015 (or thereabout). Loved those old phones...

I briefly used one of those little Nokia's before "upgrading" to the Nokia Lumia; (my 1st "smartphone").

I wont get into what the whole Windows Mobile experience was like; but the phone itself was well made.

I remember learning to ride euc's and dropping that phone a lot, but the Nokias at the time were indestructible.