Best euc to take in personal plane.

luscomberon

I'm fairly new to euc's and currently ride a Ninebot E+.  I have an antique airplane and would like to carry a wheel for transportation to from airports.   My airplane's baggage capacity is 50lbs and I  need to also haul a few other items so max wheel weight would be 40 pounds.   Anyone have suggestions?

• Like 2

I weigh about the same. I've yet to kill my mten3. For it's size there's nothing that compares. It fits perfectly in a back pack. I can almost fit my mten3 in my old flight bag. I average 14mph and can sustain 17mph on smooth surfaces. On sketchy surfaces I slow to around 12 mph.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luscomberon said:

I weigh 240lbs so it's possible there's not much that would be better than the E+.

For your riding weight...

The Mten3 will easily cope, but at 10" you may not be too comfortable on it. 

The MCM5 (14" wheel) will be more comfortable and give you better range. 

And the KS-16S - slightly bigger wheel size again and with decent range. 

I know @aviateNZ has a similar situation (has he mentioned yet that he's a pilot?) And has both the Mten3 and 16S... If we can just get his head out of the clouds long enough for him to comment...

@luscomberoncan I ask what kind of vintage plane you fly? Could an EUC  be placed in the passenger seat? I’m familiar with CG being an ex helicopter pilot so this is interesting . 

I would have that mten3 look at an extra time. There seems to have been reported a few battery fires on those lately. It might just be slow traveling social media. But still. Once you are on a plane you don't want these things to cause trouble. 

Another option could be a V8f. It isn't a power wheel but to slow cruise about is can do that and it is fairly slim and small. It is a different option. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 5:11 AM, Unventor said:

I would have that mten3 look at an extra time. There seems to have been reported a few battery fires on those lately. It might just be slow traveling social media. But still. Once you are on a plane you don't want these things to cause trouble. 

Another option could be a V8f. It isn't a power wheel but to slow cruise about is can do that and it is fairly slim and small. It is a different option. 

I've been concerned about any Gotway/Begode.  

On 7/25/2021 at 6:11 AM, Unventor said:

^^^^^ This. You don't want a fire on board a plane. If you do decide to fly with your EUC, confirm the FAA permits it, you don't want to lose your Pilot's license, or lose privileges to land at an airport. Battery fire brought down a UPS freight plane. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/24/ups-crash-dubai-lithium/2582213/

Li-Ion batteries are prohibited from checked luggage

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=23054

Invest in fire blankets and approved fire suppression technology.  Discharge the batteries to a safe level and disconnect the wires.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:26 PM, luscomberon said:

I've been concerned about any Gotway/Begode.  

I would thoroughly inspect any electric pev before taking it up in a plane. As far as the shitty quality of Begode/Gotway, the mten3 is a mature product and has a better design for the battery and control board placement. I think at least one mten3 fire was caused by using an external battery pack. Also if any wheel has a significant crash it can be a fire waiting to happen. I still think the mten3 is the best wheel for the Luscombe. Just take it apart when you receive it and go over anything that can be a safety issue and correct the discrepancies. My mten3 was acceptable, my RS had a shitty solder job on the main connector for the control board. 

• Like 2