Compatibility

rspootinel

hello people.  

I have an issue that has been causing me to pull my hair out.  It's been really frustrating because I have spent about 6 months on this.

Are Gotway controllers compatible with any brushless motor?

The typical brushless motor has 5 hall sensor wires and 3 phase wires.

In general are all EUC controllers compatible with any brushless motor?

I have been working on a project.  I am trying to get an M SuperX controller to operate a Jetson Proton/Iota Trax self balancing scooter.  

This is not a hoverboard.  It is a dual wheel self balancing scooter.  You stand on the sides and the wheels are in the middle. Only difference is that you have that extra wheel.

They use Gyroor controllers typically rated at 36 volts.  But I could use more power and I wanted to do some riding this summer, but instead I have been cooped up in the apartment trying to get this thing to work with this MsuperX 84 volt controller.  And I have had absolutely no success.  

Hopefully someone can assist me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rspootinel said:

No. The way I understand things, a self balanced vehicle is very sensitive to the synchronization of the controller and the motor, which is why the controller must be fine tuned for the specific motor. This could be for example about the shape and the exact width of the duty cycles.

Because of this, EUCs have a fail check system in place. If the hall sensors do not give back data that the controller considers reasonable, the controller will cease all power output to the motor. So the hall sensors should be in the expected order and in the exact position in relation to the motor coils.

This will most probably not be the case with just any BLDC motor.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Ok.  Thanks for your reply.  I just signed up to interact with the members on here.

I have 2 self balance scooters.  One Jetson Proton and other one is IotaTrax.   I need very strong controller for better power and higher speed.

The stock Gyroor controller is good quality controller.  But power is too low

I test with Gotway MSX 84 volt controller.  

I don't think it's compatible with the motors

What powerful controller will work on mine?

Please help.  Are you on Facebook messenger?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rspootinel said:

I test with Gotway MSX 84 volt controller.  

On 7/18/2021 at 10:21 AM, rspootinel said:

They use Gyroor controllers typically rated at 36 volts. 

84V on will blow some 36V motor up! Otherwise the gotway controller won't work with only 36V supply...

And one has to regard the placing and orientation a controller board is designed for - this cannot be changed (horizontal vs vertical)

On 7/18/2021 at 4:21 AM, rspootinel said:

[5 hall sensor wires and 3 phase wires]

No!

You're correct that they're all BLDC motors. But their characteristics vary hugely, and the controller firmware needs to be tuned accordingly.

It is likely that the MSX controller can make your Iota motor spin. But it is very unlikely that it will be smooth, or stable at all. The MSX firmware is "locked" and you cannot adjust it to be correct for your much-smaller Iota motor.

If you want to learn about DIY balancing control, I recommend studying the VESC project controllers. People have already built their own onewheels and EUC's with these.
https://trampaboards.com/vesc-6-mkv--the-next-generation--benjamin-vedder-electronic-speed-controller-p-27517.html

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 3

Seems like those Proton / Trax things are just tiny, twin wheeled EUCs from what i can see...? AFAIK there are even some twin wheel EUCs available new, from Airwheel and Inmotion.

3 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

AFAIK there are even some twin wheel EUCs available new, from Airwheel and Inmotion.

They are all seriously old models, and I don’t think any of them has been manufactured in several years. The only review I read about a twin-wheeled EUC was not at all favorable. It sacrifices the very core feature of being a natural body extension, which  the EUC is fundamentally all about.

• Like 1