KingSong KS-16A First Impressions

Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

21 hours ago, esaj said:

... Love the way the KS16 rides, almost makes me regret not ordering one, but then again, I still don't want to "waste" those custom-packs, it has become a sort of a principle :P

If i remember right there was not enough "depth" for your battery pack? So you could cut the "top side" of the compartments and close them again with some fiberglas and epoxy (or something similar)? :ph34r:

Most cells will only get out their full capacity, if they're discharged to (or below) 3.0V per cell before charging, so probably KS doesn't let you ride it that empty 

Imho with 50V limo home mode starts - so at 50/16=3.125V . Don't know at which Voltage the KS16 stops...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Did you notice any hint of failure to balance from a standstill hop on start?  ....

It's the question if it only happens with hop on starts from standstill. There was just a report from an ACM driver that he twisted his wheel around and wanted to drive off in the new direction, but the ACM failed. And Gotway and KS show often quite similar behaviour...

As i experienced it, the failure percentage is quite low. So maybe KS manages it to get rid ofthis glitch before we can find out every aspect/reason for it?

21 hours ago, esaj said:

Nope, although since I only came to a (more or less) full stop for very brief moments during crawling (and didn't put my foot down), I didn't really do but one "hop on"-start at the start of the journey.

I always make this hop on - balance starts. Dont know why (assume thats harder than start from "rolling") and had many hundreds of these starts from standstill (drove ~?5-600? km's since mid of april).

with this i got one fail with a normal hop on standstill start, one fail starting like this on a cobblestone road standing in a slight "hole" and once starting while holding to a wall. While holding to the wall i could  balance it out - there was some resistance from the KS16, but it did not start to drive forward....

I've read about the problems though, hard to say what it is exactly, only thing that comes to my mind is the current spike that occurs when the wheel starts going from standstill, but not sure if that's it.

It's really hard to find the cause for it. Once i "jumped" on my KS16 on a quite strong incline, could not perfectly balance so i leaned forward for a head start. The KS16 told me the overpower warning and zoomed off with me... If it had not zoomed off there would still be my face imprint in the pavement...

on the other side the fail while holding to the wall was one of the softest starts ever...

once here the idea was mentioned to start   at different positions of the wheel (with chalk marks) to see if it has someting to do with the hall sensor positions at startup?

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

If i remember right there was not enough "depth" for your battery pack? So you could cut the "top side" of the compartments and close them again with some fiberglas and epoxy (or something similar)? :ph34r:

Duct tape? ;) Maybe not... I still have my friends' wheel, but I don't want to pull it apart to see what could be done to the battery compartments, as I don't want to risk breaking anything or the wheel still being in pieces when he comes to pick it up :P

I just had my longest trip so far with KS16, approximately 42 - 43km. After the trip there was still ~57 Volts in batteries. I quess I could squeeze 60km out of the 840wh battery pack with my 70kg body. I tried to ride as conservative as I could and it took me about 2 hours. What a nice evening ride :)

13 minutes ago, dside said:

I just had my longest trip so far with KS16, approximately 42 - 43km. After the trip there was still ~57 Volts in batteries. I quess I could squeeze 60km out of the 840wh battery pack with my 70kg body. I tried to ride as conservative as I could and it took me about 2 hours. What a nice evening ride :)

I'm the same weight with the same KS16 and got similar stats.

The range decreases if you push hard on the uphills enjoying overtaking biker after biker :)

Very  consistent wih the mileage i am getting on my ks14 840wh. I am 100kg and by the same measure 70/100=0.7.  Should get 60km*0.7= 38km= 24m and that is what i get , just about

Archived