MSP User/set up guide?

Hi all, still finding my feet (literally) with my MSP, one aspect that quickly became apparent is the lack of instruction manual (okay, at least in English) for the unit, which I know may be the first thing for many to ditch and just get out there, but setting up the wheel isn’t an easy thing to second guess, I had to do a search to understand just how to unlock the wheel from transport mode.

Therefore, my question( rather basic, I know), is: can anyone provide me with a link to anything like a comprehensive instruction manual , tutorial video or other resource so I can understand whether or when/if I should operate the wheel via an app as a necessity, an option or otherwise, and an aide to understand how to set up the wheel correctly for use, the various modes and any features that may be lurking within, etc.

Any pointers greatly appreciated, thank you. Pic is of my bumpered up unit before the top coat of duct tape applied (some foam since removed as protruding into the calves ‘area of influence’  - I wouldn’t call it ‘area of control’ just yet!)

Happy trails!

52956592-510F-45F2-BF3D-3EEBF909C3A2.jpeg

That's a lot of foam!

Glad you figured out how to unlock the wheel. I'll type out a somewhat biased user manual in efforts of helping. There isn't really a manual that's helpful that comes with gotway wheel, in any language as far as I'm aware. 

Yes, download two apps. 1) the official gotway app, currently called "kebye begode" on the app store and 2) Darknessbot. Darknessbot will be the one that you use day in and day out. Much better interface and customizable display just by dragging the tiles around, and you can change wheel settings through it too. The gotway app is really just double checking settings or info incase Darknessbot doesn't have it. If you're on android, download EUC world instead. Serves the same function as Darknessbot

In app settings (that matter):

1. turn off the first and "saecond" class alarms. These are redundant speed alarms that serve to only be annoying to nearly everyone out there. Rest assured, there is a 3rd alarm that is not able to be turned off, known as the 80% motor output alarm. This will beep if you need to slow down. 
  2. Set tiltback to whatever your wheel's max speed is. For the MSP high torque version, that will be 38mph. For the high speed version, that will be about 44mph. I'd further recommend testing what tiltback feels like by setting it ridiculously low once, like 10 mph, then testing it out. That way you won't be surprised when it happens. 
  3. riding mode: you have 3 options here: soft, medium, and strong. I like strong. Gotway pedals get soft when the wheel is beginning to approach it's limit. I like to feel that as starkly contrasted as possible. Others have opinions about which mode is best. Play with it and decide for yourself. 

Everything else can be run as default, or doesn't even functionally do anything because gotway hasn't implemented it properly for this wheel. 

As far as the buttons on the actual wheel itself, the transporation mode is the most complex one, and you've got that figured out. To turn on/off the wheel, long press the power button, ie silver button on the spine of the wheel. To turn on the headlight, quick press the power button while the wheel is on. To set the headlight to strobe, quick press the button again while the headlight is on. Note: quick pressing the power button a third time when the headlight is strobing will turn off the headlight AND change the LED disco lights to the next setting. This is a hardwired function and cannot be changed. To turn off the headlight without messing with the LEDs, you must use either of the phone apps. 

That's all that comes to mind. Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Many thanks. I managed to connect the wheel to the Kebye Begode app this morning, although when I glanced momentarily at the phone screen whilst steadily pootling along at appx 10-12mph it still read zero on the speedometer, the temp and remaining battery charge indicated both seem to work as might be expected. I turned the wheel to medium mode (I bought the HC30 model primarily for its headroom above what speed I might reasonably tour about with at cruising speed, and for the range, as well as its generous weight bearing capacity! I’ll look into darknessbot, I’m guessing this will be the 2nd app I’ll have installed on my iPhone (don’t use it much, even as a phone, apart from checking emails, WhatsApp messages and making a rare time check). It’s a simpler life here!

OOI, I found I needed to remove mostly all foam shown excepting three frontmost full length strips, as the ones shown rearward I found simply dug into my calves and impeded progress; once removed, I started to get much better results, to the point where I managed a couple of miles aboard today with 180° turns either end of a lovely runway-smooth  type tarred farm track extending some 4-500 yards, and a few circling exercises at each end of the track and where wider sections were available. Tarred road was/is much easier to make progress on than grass lawn, I’ve found, but I can now manage on both; my next priority exercises will be to polish up the mount and dismounts, which can certainly still improve.

I also protected the rear of the casing edges, as I was paranoid about smashing the wheel during the first learning sessions, etc., I kept the foam in place with duct tape which added a smooth, slightly more slippery yet tough top surface for when things went awry. A glass fibre exoskeleton has been ordered from Russia to replace the roll nz cover, which has helped protect the shell until now, and has itself been largely protected by the foam and tape.    Had Ustride’s ‘Sherman’ type rollcage concept been a bolt-on type of fix I may have jumped that way, but although I’m sure I could have found a local welder to attach such a lovely and robust cage to the pedal hangers, in the end I preferred the more readily removable shell casing to protect the bodywork where most vulnerable.

I found Magpie EUC’s ‘early days’ videos not only very useful, but pretty well analysed by himself, highlighting his critical first ‘steps to levitation’, and in particular I found his “arms forward” tip/drill was invaluable in getting me toward  ‘fledged’ status - thanks Magpie!     Soon afterwards, my stance began to adjust to the point where I don’t need to make that particular shape nearly so markedly, but, as with the ‘plough’ when learning first to ski is a great initial aid to learn control, I found the “arms forward” stretch to be about the most valuable piece of advice for getting up to a smooth and stable speed when learning solo.

First run was marked by the wobbles early on, but I managed to get that ironed out via small adjustments on the studded (Gotway) pedals -  which I fitted before even trying the stock RS ones, the latter which seem to be raked at quite a marked dihedral.    I also found after a while, I could slightly shift the inner foot on the pedal somewhat before leaning in to execute turns, which helped in that department. Now it seems I’ve got to spend the next month or two practicing and honing the various exercises, to improve consistency, and build muscle memory and balance for each manoeuvre until they become more relaxed and almost instinctive.

Slowly getting there, but absolutely Loving it!!

Edited by Freeforester
Punctuation, grammar!