Using pads with big calves

I need some recommendations for some minimalistic padding options on my new Veteran Sherman. I'm 5'10", 230 lbs. I power lift at the gym, and have just generally always had rather meaty calves. I max out the calf raise machines at whatever gym I go to. And that's not to brag, but I wanted to give some adequate context for understanding my geometry problem. I have never found pads that work. Some of the power pads I see here make me wonder where the legs are supposed to go. The ones I've tried on friends wheels always either force me to ride like a ballerina doing a plie, or dangle half my feet off the pedals. I had an inmotion v8 and gotway nikola before now, and their rounded shapes certainly helped me get by without pads. But now I have a Sherman, and this wheel is the antithesis of curves. The Sherman is what an EUC would look like in a game from the 90's, when polygons came at a premium. I put the stock pads on for the sake of giving it a shot, and didn't make it off my street before turning around and ripping them back off. But the squareness is taking a bit of a toll. If I wear jeans, I can settle for light bruising after a 25 mile ride. Make it shorts, and add calf chafing to the equation. I'm looking for a material that doesn't add much volume, but stops me from pulverizing my shins to dust while also allowing me to have adequate grip for control. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I think I know about your problem. The only suggestion is, to try the original pads again (they are pretty thin in the middle), you will get used to it. I always drive with shorts. You never get the (same) grip on the wheel (as)  without the pads. Also the more you relax the better it gets, but of course it is a big wide wheel. To me also the boots are important as the add some mm sideways on the bottom. The more you bend your knee, the less of a problem it becomes.Screenshot_20210712_094148.thumb.jpg.9678aae55d61337e53f6ad199f84e088.jpg

Edited by FerdinandK
  • Like 1

Personally, I say just DIY it up and make something that works for you. Grab a roll of this adhesive-backed Neoprene off of Amazon and do some experiments to see what you like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6PJR3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can layer it up to make thicker sections or just use a single layer all the way across the top of the side panels if you want to avoid thickness in general. The material is grippy and soft, can be cut with scissors or a utility knife, and is resilient enough to take a tumble with the wheel. Once you figure out the rough design that you want you can make a more permanent set, but the roll should come with enough material for you to mess up a few times. :thumbup:

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 2

@ShanesPlanet has these...

Mine haven't arrived yet, but apparently they are a bit wider than the standard pads, and more flexible. 

Shane - would you want to share any of the width dimensions?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Mine haven't arrived yet, but apparently they are a bit wider than the standard pads, and more flexible. 

190mm across the top 130mm across the bottom, between the lugs, 110mm tall. Designed to be positioned about 9" above the pedal hangers. The design is somewhat forward but if a person has MASSIVE calves, they could move them a little to the rear. @GoGeorgeGo also has a vid of them trying them for a moment. I belive the words used were 'wide' and 'comfortable'. Pads are like shoes tho. I cant say with ANY conviction that they would surely fit someone. Atm Im having a REALLY tough time getting the Ninja to come out reliably. I think Im at about 50% losses, tho I am somewhat picky and don't hesistate to throw things away. I do have some 'basic' versions for $50 shipped usd, for anyone who may want to give a try with less invested. Thanks for the shout out guys!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

How do you fit a Sherman into the box? 60$ is sure pretty cheap :w00t2:

Joke a side. Glad you like your product. 

• Like 2

I also forgot to mention. I would suspect that MOST pads will seem a little wider as you lower their position. Perhaps those with big calves, need pads that contact further down the muscle in a more narrow area. Not to mention, the distance from the fulcrum (ankle) is shorter so the throw is wider...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I tossed the pads when I pulled them off. I just dont think the movement restriction fits my ride style. I also just got a seat, so that complicates it a bit.  I do like the neoprene suggestion, so I'll be trying that out. Maybe in the future I'll revisit more aggressive padding, and the ones from Shane seem like a decent option Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unipilot69 said:

I printed some of @Nicknonsense pads. They are a split design. Much more adjustable. Also don't have to use both ends either. Just use either the front or the back.

Do you have a link to the STL? I was thinking of a printed solution.