25 Jan 2019 Edit:

Be notified of future rides via WhatsApp with our notifications channel: http://Next.eRide.ie

When you join the WhatsApp notifications channel, please send your first name and EUC model to me via that WhatsApp group, then I will invite you to the group chat (not using a link invite to avoid SPAM bots).

Original Post:

Hi all,

I see there is no EU meetups in Dublin, so I'll start them myself ;) 

---EDIT--- (14/04/2016)

First Meetup Scheduled! (07/05/2016)

Check it out and join :)http://www.meetup.com/Electric-Unicycle-Meetup-Dublin/

-------

If there is anyone in the forum living in Dublin or close please post here so that I can let you know when the first Meetup will be.

I hope we will get some people to do it, as I've seen a couple of other people riding EUs in Dublin, but wasn't able to catch them on my generic to meet them and keep in contact. I just received the IPS Lhotz yesterday, so I'll be chasing any EU rider I spot to talk them into joining the meetup! :)

I'll also be promoting it outside the forum  to find enough people ;) 

See you soon!

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Upvote 2

Congrats on joining Team Lhotz. Got a few friends in Dublin so will be there at some point this year. Will bring my wheel if I can find a way!

Tip: don't be alarmed if the lettering on your Lhotz has fallen off/starts falling off. They're just cheapy stick-on transfer types. It happens on all of them. I've picked all of them off already and the wheel looks better without any branding on it. ?

Edited by Paddylaz
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 09/04/2016 at 0:54 AM, freeman42 said:

Hi, when is the next/first meetup? :)

Hi Freeman42, I just created the Meetup group, sorry to all for the delay!

The first meetup will be the Sat 07/05 at 15:00-16:30 :) , more details on the Meetup page ( Electric Unicycle Meetup Dublin - http://meetu.ps/e/Bvmrd/lLdYg/d )

Thanks!

See you soon.

Jean.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

We had a few meetups already I didn't advertise on this thread, I'll post them here too from now ;)

New Meetup scheduled in Dublin, Sun 11/09

See details and Join here:

http://meetu.ps/e/BYdw8/lLdYg/d

Edited by Jean Dublin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2016 at 11:30 AM, Dr. Ampersand said:

I'm based in Dublin and have a Kingsong KS14b on order, would love to join any meet-ups!

Hi Dr. Ampersand,

Thanks for your message :)

We just had a Meetup today, we were 6, it was good ;) , 

Join the MeetUp group to find out about the next one, we may go somewhere else than the city, for a nice ride in a different place, maybe Dun Laoghaire as Jaber suggested.

Join Electric Unicycle Meetup Dublin here: http://meetu.ps/c/2J55W/lLdYg/d

See you,

Jean.

On 2016/4/14 at 7:02 PM, Jean Dublin said:

Hi Freeman42, I just created the Meetup group, sorry to all for the delay!

The first meetup will be the Sat 07/05 at 15:00-16:30 :) , more details on the Meetup page ( Electric Unicycle Meetup Dublin - http://meetu.ps/e/Bvmrd/lLdYg/d )

Thanks!

See you soon.

Jean.

hi, It is so interested that i feel. i hope you have a good time with friends. please enjoy the Lhotz. :D

• Like 1

On 01/12/2016 at 0:43 PM, Dr. Ampersand said:

Thanks Jean, I only have about another week to wait so I should be at the next meet up for sure!

Great!

Next ride is the Sun 08/12 at 13h ;) . See you there!

http://meetu.ps/e/Cgrkr/lLdYg/d

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a while that I didn't update this thread each time I arranged a new Meetup every 4-5 weeks.

Back to updating it again :)

We started doing meetups in Dublin Suburbs instead of always in the City Centre, last MeetUp in Dun Laoghaire was great, next MeetUp is Sun 26th March at 16H in Malahide!

It will be nice to ride around the Castle and the Gardens, and it's my first time visiting Malahide, there is no better way to do so than riding around with the Dublin Electric Unicycle Riders!

Here the link to join ;)http://meetu.ps/e/Cy5vq/lLdYg/d

See you all there and any new members are welcome!

Jean.

Edited by Jean Dublin

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys - may I just ask a few questions please. I am about to receive my EUC next week and I was wondering what is the local legislation as regards to EUCs in Ireland?

Have any of you had any interaction and/or been questioned by the Gards yet? Where are you riding? Bicycle lines/roads/side walks?

Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to meet you guys for a ride around Dublin sometime. Cheers! ?

• 1 month later...

Hey man, the rules are pretty mess-up in Ireland, I'm afraid. Official doc is here http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Two_Three_Wheeled_Vehicles/FAQs on Segways or Powered Transporters.pdf

But motor tax office will not tax it as speed limit < 25km, insurances will not insure it as its not taxed, so you can't go on public road, and you can't do it on footpath. So only private road with land owner permission, that what we do at the moment, pretty depressing considering other developed countries.

I disagree buddy. Our wheels are not considered MPVs and because of that, insurance and/or tax are not required or applied. I have personally contacted Tax/VRT providing the Certificate of Conformity. Their email stated that this is not a vehicle and it is not subject of tax/registration/insurance. Yes, you cannot go on the roads but yes, you can go on bicycle lines and/or footpaths. Even if this matter has been cleared a long time ago by  Razza, 

I wanted to followed the process myself, so I did. 

See an earlier post:

•  
  • bluewheel
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts
  • Location Dublin
Posted August 3 (edited)

Actually, the EUC's are NOT Mechanical Propelled Vehicles. This is clearly stated into EUCs Certificates of Conformity. I have personally contacted Gotway and retrieved the CoC and Ive contacted the Vehicle registration Tax Authority for Legally registering my EUC. The response received from the Vehicle Registration Tax clearly states that the EUC (Gotway MSuper X - as others) are NOT classified as MPVs. Period. So I would ask the gentlemen who made the above comment Mr. Haskell to inform himself before making such statements. 

And one more thing: This intimidation must stop once and for all.

Riders, please start fighting back by legally demonstrating what it is and what it is not a MPV to your local authorities. It is not enough for no country on this planet to say NO, covering their lack of understanding of the laws. Police is NOT the body deciding what is allowed or not in this matter. The laws are. Your steps are:

1. Get a copy of your Certificate of Conformity from your manufacturer. These are often published on their websites.

2. Reach then to the legal body in your country which is registering vehicles on the road (in Ireland it's the Vehicle Registration Tax Authority)

I really hope you right. And it makes perfect sense to classify EUC as NOT MPV to me.  I'm seeing people using EUCs in Dublin, and there is also FB group for meet ups etc. I'm glad you made it as far as presenting CoC and clarifying it. Are you planning to do daily commute on your EUC?

Completely separate question, does anyone in Dublin have Segway miniPlus or Z10? I need to borrow a charger to check if my charger is gone or its actually my miniPlus is busted. Segway support for UK/Ireland is almost non-exsting, I've been trying to resolve the "not charging" issue for 12 days with zero response from Segway :(  Thanks to jojo33 its going to a different level now, but its really frustrating the way it is now. 

Hi buddy - I don't think it would make immediate sense to me commuting to work just yet. I am still due to find a route which would keep me away as much as possible by open roads and by avoiding city centre crowds.  I am working in the city centre and this is a bit of a problem. But I plan to find that route asap and trying to commute starting with one day/week (perhaps Friday) and then I'll see. But yes, you know, on the other hand, there is no specific law as in Scandinavia or France (where you can insure your EUC)- (Allianz France does that btw) and ride it in 100% confidence. Of course there might be a case that you might be stopped and questioned. But as Razza said in his utube, try to be polite and courteous at all times, explaining the facts. Garda is there to enforce the law, not making it. I am riding very careful and never with speed. On the sidewalk Im riding at walking speed, being polite with people and asked them to excuse me and pass them at walking speed and trying to engage (as much as possible) with them. Don't forget that people will need to accept EUCs. Usually I am asked questions about my wheel as people are just curious. But Ive figured that as long as you are polite and nice with people, the majority will treat you back with same respect. 

BTW - are there any meet-ups this weekend? Let's enjoy what is left of this great weather :)

• Upvote 1

Great post man, I agree 100%, I ride away from the crowd, never on the main public road with majority rides done on a private road where I entirely within my rights  Not sure about meet-ups I never done any, I'm from SoCo Dublin and here never been any meetup. I can't do this weekend, and I will be working. But I can do sometime in September, again schedule very tight and last time I took my wheel out, was a month ago, shame on me :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there any more meetups being organized? I'd like to meet other EUC individuals and do some group spins, I only bought my electric unicycle in Kingsong Ireland and need doing more kilometres and get better  :) So far it's so much fun, I thought it was going to be more difficult but, in a week I managed to go on nice routes. It took me a few hours though. My wheel is a Kingsong 16s.

I hope you can organize more spins soon