MSX overheating

I can't trail ride my MSX 100V without it overheating. On the road at higher speeds temperatures stay well below 70C. On the trails which are technical lots of ups and downs it doesn't cool and I get tilt back and have to stop for it to cool. Really like this wheel and in the winter I was able to ride the trails with minimal overheating. Now that it is in the 90s F I have to stop every 5-10 minutes. Is there anything I should try? Should I give up and get a new wheel? I really like this wheel but I need something I can ride and only stop when I need to. 

Very unusual. My MSX got a right hammering (100 miles) on the hottest day last summer (ambient 34deg C/93F) and the hottest the wheel got got according to EUCW was about 52C/125F., and that was just at the crest of a fairly beastly hill. It nearly always ran around 39C usually.

Given you say the fan is working, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is - is the heatsink covered in mud/crap? (you say you ride trails). This could massively affect the cooling ability. Or maybe the fan is turning but simply not working properly? Not sure, it's odd as I say. Same with all the other MSX's I am aware of in my group too - none of them have any overheating issues.

Hmmm I do have a rollnz cover and wonder if that contributes. I rode a flatter trail system today but still reached 75c but no tilt back. I guess it is possible that mud got inside somehow and I will check. I will take it apart next and report back.

The only way to view the heatsink on the board is to remove it from the wheel or split the shell. You might get half an idea by shining a torch up inside the wheel but your view will be very limited.

So I got my fingers in there and it felt clean. For good measure I got a bottle brush and scrubbed around but it was pretty clean. The wheel only has about 500 miles. Is there any kind of maintenance I should be doing (greasing or lubrication)? I did a ride today and I tried to simulate the trail conditions on a short but steep hill by going slow and accelerating a lot. Looks like that is really hard on the wheel and I was able to get it to tilt back due to over heat. Normal riding around (even on hilly roads) I seem to stay in the mid to upper 50s. Planning a 40 mile ride tomorrow almost all road but I don't think I will have any issue there. Maybe I just need to look into a high torque wheel for the trails.

Edit: I did the ride today without the rollnz cover. It really didn't make much of a difference.

Edited by scap

Rode to and from work today 20 miles both ways and only hit 54C on the way home. I think the trails around here are just too much for the wheel when it is hot. Now to figure out what would make the best trail wheel…