Skills That Translate From Other Sports/Hobbies to EUC's

Scottie

The Balance and Footwork of it all

- Right-click a link and open in new tab -

The quotes below from another thread reminded me of many similar statements scattered around the forum. It might be interesting to collect some opinions about skills from other sports that help people learn EUCs, and have them in the Learning to Ride section of the forum ... for those entertaining the idea of joining, or becoming one of us ... one of us

On 6/15/2021 at 5:00 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

I also think the euc is very similar to the smooth glide of snowboarding. Snowboarding takes a lot more physical effort and dedication. Euc can be a lazy thing when need be, and no lift fees.. Im also a Southerner, so snowboarding around here is more like ice-boarding 2 months a year. I still dream of Colorado powder sometimes.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, OldFartRides said:

I grew up downhill skiing, skateboarding, cycling, ice skating, Xc skiing, etc….then when snowboarding came along I had to try that too. Took that up in my late twenties I think. Really liked that cause I always wanted to surf, but never was around the ocean much. Anyway, I got tired of being crossed up with that stance and converted a big ‘ol wide Kemper board to a mono-ski board w/ ski boots and bindings. Really liked the downhill stance on the big board (w/ ski poles).

That’s why I gravitated towards the euc. Symmetrical forward stance. Carving slowly down steeper hills reminds me of downhill skiing.

On 6/22/2021 at 5:32 PM, ebizu said:

Don't get me wrong; Onewheels are FUN especially if you're coming from a skateboarding background like me. While the Pint can be taken off-road, it's not as well suited as the XR due to its smaller tire size. "Floating" around the neighborhood on a Onewheel also has a certain kind of magic to it as well.

I get what @OldFartRides says about the symmetrical forward stance of downhill skiing feeling similar to EUC riding. But I also read and heard that skateboarders make good EUC students. And it has also been said here than manual unicycle riders are quick learners of EUC riding, even though the control dynamic seems a bit different to me ... it is still a lot about balance and knowing what one wheel does.

People are all different, with natural abilities favoring one thing over another. But it seems to me that anyone that has done lots of foot balance sports such as ...

• skating (ice or wheels)
  • skiing (snow ... better than water I think, due to the boat - rope dynamic)
  • board riding (skate, snow or surf) ... maybe even the Flyboard!

... would be a quick learner of the EUC. But, maybe some sports are a more direct translation, such as downhill skiing.

My question is; what hobbies and sports translate directly into the ability to learn to ride an EUC quickly? Opinions may vary! ;) But, it's all good. And the question can be reversed. What other sports/hobbies does EUC riding prepare us for? Can I clip on a pair of downhill skis and expect to be able to do anything ... strictly as far as the footwork is concerned? Granted, there is much more to become familiar with to become a successful skier.    

This video, along with the quoted comments, added to my curiosity. That guy's footwork looks strangely familiar. :shock2: Do you, as an EUC rider think you could learn the Flyboard? Could Flyboard guy jump right on an EUC and ride it?

• Like 2

I think wheel balancing hobbies such as skateboards, inline/roller skates (and its grandaddy ice skates) and all forms of bicycling as well as unicycling translate well into learning how to ride EUCs. However, just like you said, YMMV. I have a friend who knows how to ride a unicycle and I learned how to ride an EUC faster than he did. To quote him, "putting your weight on both your feet rather than on a unicycle's seat takes a little bit of getting used to." It also didn't help that he broke his clavicle while riding his Onewheel Pint immediately after a short EUC practice run. 

I also had the fortunate luck of having an early lightbulb moment while learning to ride: If I stabilize the EUC using my legs instead of my feet and give it a little speed, the EUC will do its own thing and happily carry me along. Granted, it took me a while longer to learn how to turn, but realizing this simple concept at a very early stage in my learning progress made it easier for me to grasp the mechanics of riding.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Leaning a unicycle way over on sticky pavement at speed is so very much like carving a deep gash on a fresh groomer with old school GS skis. Maneuvering a uni down a tight rooty mtn bike singletrack is very much like skiing cut-up moguls. Never tried a monoski but I bet it's even more of a crossover.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@yoos said this on another thread ...

On 9/22/2021 at 11:23 AM, yoos said:

It's difficult to predict your experience on the EUC since it works like nothing you rode previously. Still, your scooter/mc/bike/board experience is the perfect background to enter EUCs (the only background that is even better is mastery of the old-school mechanical pedal unicycle, these guys usually take off in a matter of minutes)

Today I was riding with my 12 year old granddaughter. She rides my Ninebot MiniPro. We like to stop by the local bicycle shop and visit the owners dogs that he keeps in the back room. Today I saw an old-school mechanical pedal unicycle in the window! :dribble:

As an OK to mildly skilled EUC rider now, past the "horrible newbie" stage (I think), my curiosity is very high now. Could I learn to ride that thing with minimal drama? This would be the reverse of what @yoos mentioned in the quote above. We see that other similar skills prepare us to learn EUC riding. I am still wondering what EUC riding prepares us for regarding the learning other of similar sports or skills. I came to EUC's after learning to water-ski many years ago. That was the extent of my foot balance training in other sports ... no skating ... no boards (surf, snow or skate).

Tomorrow I am going to pick up that old-school unicycle just to see what happens. It is just my size, a direct pedal version ... not a giraffe. Even if a miracle happens, or my stubborn nature forces me to learn that thing, it would just be for going up and down the street. I doubt I would be interested in taking it on my across town rides. I just have to scratch that itch.

Nimbus 29 inch Road Unicycle - Black       

• Like 1

While I'm not an expert noserider like the picture, surfing with the same straight-forward stance (but dead-center on the board) is the closest feeling I get to riding an EUC.

1272003210_Surf3.jpeg.971848798d896d21dbfe17c3cbd94b0c.jpeg

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Do you think EUC riding is good training for learning to surf?

imho, NOT from riding EUC but better from OW or skateboard. 

Stance similarity: surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding and most folks I know do all 3 for that reason. 

My previous post is the only one I can attest to but most surfers don't surf like that either. 

If you're keen on learning to surf, paddling is the key and maybe ~75% essential on the sport. The faster you can paddle, the easier you catch a wave. The more you catch the better you get on riding skills.

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Great discussion.  I've been downhill skiing for 40 years and have taught several people how to ski.  I was also a skateboarder in highschool and still love inline skates.  As a new EUC rider with under 100 miles so far, I have found the turning is similar to what you might fell on a skateboard (pressure on the right, turn right) or snowboard.  It seems to me it's just the opposite of skiing and inline skates.  While skiing (or skating), a right turn means a lean to the right with a greater amount of force on the inside edge of your left ski (like you are pushing that the left ski into the snow.  The harder the push the more energy in the turn while carving.  Just the opposite for a left turn where most of your weight is on the inside of your right ski.  If you haven't skied before, think about standing in one spot with your feet about shoulder width apart.  Then jump to the right.  Most of the force to move right was underneath your left foot as you pushed down hard with your left foot to move right.  

On the EUC I keep feeling like I need to push my left foot down (or weight my left foot) and un-weight my right to turn right.  Can you say wobble?

I also have experience with a balance board (Voodoo) and I think it's been helpful learning how.to balance but I still have a long way to go.

Because of my years of skiing and inline skating I do prefer the parallel stance of the EUC for sure.  

Enjoy your ride and may you always stay Above the Wheel.

Schmidty

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Above The Wheel said:

Great discussion.  I've been downhill skiing for 40 years and have taught several people how to ski.  I was also a skateboarder in highschool and still love inline skates.  As a new EUC rider with under 100 miles so far, I have found the turning is similar to what you might fell on a skateboard (pressure on the right, turn right) or snowboard.  It seems to me it's just the opposite of skiing and inline skates.  While skiing (or skating), a right turn means a lean to the right with a greater amount of force on the inside edge of your left ski (like you are pushing that the left ski into the snow.  The harder the push the more energy in the turn while carving.  Just the opposite for a left turn where most of your weight is on the inside of your right ski.  If you haven't skied before, think about standing in one spot with your feet about shoulder width apart.  Then jump to the right.  Most of the force to move right was underneath your left foot as you pushed down hard with your left foot to move right.  

On the EUC I keep feeling like I need to push my left foot down (or weight my left foot) and un-weight my right to turn right.  Can you say wobble?

I also have experience with a balance board (Voodoo) and I think it's been helpful learning how.to balance but I still have a long way to go.

Because of my years of skiing and inline skating I do prefer the parallel stance of the EUC for sure.  

Enjoy your ride and may you always stay Above the Wheel.

Schmidty

I also feel a similarity in how I twist up a snowboard to change direction. Most of the time, I am either facing down or up the mountain. Snowboarders dont REALLY stand with one hip down the mountain all the time, we actually slide at an angle and its closer to a ski stance than one would realize. When a snowboarder stops, they are in fact, facing forwards with feet forward or back with feet back (+-15deg). I'd imagine the same can be said about surfers. Even when running a wave, they are still offset in footing, not really in line with the movement. Fwiw, I turn right better than left on an euc, a skateboard and a snowboard. My left foot is dominant, so I'd imagine thats why it tends to work better as I scissor it forwards as I dive to the right side on euc sweepers. I also spin to the left when reverse launch paramotoring. This is so my left foot can be in front for the first forwards step. Hell, the more I think about it, the simpler it all seems.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Above The Wheel said:

On the EUC I keep feeling like I need to push my left foot down (or weight my left foot) and un-weight my right to turn right.  

Isn’t that exactly what happens ? Wheel goes left a little, body starts falling right, wheel then tilts/ turns right, moves back under body.

• Like 1

For me, besides general balance that one gains from other balance sports, the biggest 'benefit' of a skateboarding and skiing background was learning to trust that you have to be moving for much to happen. It's a mental block I have... it has to be better (not gonna fall down and go boom) to not go fast.

My "skiing instructor" aka roommate offered to teach me to ski... he took me to the the intermediate-advanced lift, we got off and he said (direct quote): "Now. Ski down" and disappeared. I proceeded to fall down the mountain, slowly, about 3-4 feet between falls. When he passed me the 4th or 5th time, he stopped and said (another direct quote): "you have to go faster", then he took off again. Eventually, after I started getting quite tired, I tried it and what do you know—weight transfer doesn't work unless you're moving at some pace. Dropping into the fall line was and still is something that causes my brain to say "bad idea, BAD IDEA", but as long as I don't think about it...

I never got a good handle on snowboarding because the consequences of catching a frontside edge and having the hand of the Almighty on your back slamming you face first into the snow just wasn't something I enjoyed. And there's that fall line thing too, except it seemed worse.

Skateboarding... learning was very sketch unless you're totally stopped -or- moving along. There's something about the centrifugal forces that makes steering go from ??? to "ah, that's how it's done". I do think it's all mental with skateboarding though, at least for me.

Learning the EUC was similar: don't bail just because you are moving in space—this stupid thing actually does work. Took a while, but I finally remembered the old lessons.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

Observational learning (watch and learn) might be useful.

Passive, subconscious absorption of information without being aware of it.

Maybe try it one day and see if it works......just watch a skilled golfer on a golf driving range, a professional sportsman practicing, etc.

Don't try to actively think, analyse, study.....just watch and let the brain absorb passively.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 7:21 AM, OldFartRides said:

Isn’t that exactly what happens ? Wheel goes left a little, body starts falling right, wheel then tilts/ turns right, moves back under body.

Yeah, I think to an extent, especially with short slalom-like turns.  Although I have found the the most difficult turns to be the slow gentle turns on a bike path that's not quite straight.    As I was practicing the other night I imagined that I was standing on a skateboard with both my feet parallel to one another and my toes facing the direction the skateboard was moving.  The scene to help me get the subtle balance between left and right foot pressure to maintain a long constant curve with reduced, self-induced, wobble.   I thought of teaching my kids how to drive.   They could take a corner with no problem but would lane weave trying to navigate down a not quite straight road.   I'm still very much in my learner's permit stage and I'm loving every minute learning this new skill.  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, Scottie said:

old-school unicycle

One key element of learning to riding an unicycle is to keep your weight on the seat and very light pressure on the pedals. Another issue is you are generally riding at too slow of a speed for tilt steering to be effective, so you're stuck with yaw steering at first. Generally beginners arm flail, flail left to steer the unicycle right and vice versa, for balance and to turn (On my V8F, I was able to do laps around a tennis court using arm flailing on my fist try, which seems instinctive from some (most?) riders). Eventually you'll be able to yaw steer by just twisting the hips since you have leverage via the seat. Using support for mount and launch, but with no guidance on how to ride, it took me about 15 minutes to be able to ride indefinitely, using mild arm flailing for yaw steering, but I only had the unicycle for 2 hours, and never learned to free mount.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:48 PM, Above The Wheel said:

On the EUC I keep feeling like I need to push my left foot down (or weight my left foot) and un-weight my right to turn right. 

You tilt the EUC into the direction you want to steer. To steer right, the right foot moves down, the left foot moves up, and vice versa. However, to lean right, you initially steer left, but there's no need to think about pedal movement when doing this. In order to lean right on solid ground, you first push with the left foot to initiate the lean, and on an EUC, this will counter-steer it left, resulting in you leaning to the right. So just trying to lean left or right as if you were on solid ground will result in about the same response on an EUC without you thinking about pedal movement. After you've started to lean, you'll then need to tilt steer into the direction of lean to control lean angle, tilt more to lean less, tilt less to lean more. Depending on speed, turning radius, tire profile, weight, ... , you may be tilting the EUC more or less than your body lean angle. Initially I had to estimate how much to lean and how much to tilt, and make corrections as needed, which improved over time. I had to consciously do this when I was first learning, but I did weave and turn drills to adjust lean angle, and between 1 month | 75 miles and 2 months | 150 miles my foot movements became mostly reflexive. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:41 AM, Kai Drange said:

I enjoy a lot of activities involving balancing. Skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, snowskating, tight-rope walking

My only real balance sport was Slacklining, and i would say it did not help me with the EUC at all. 

idk if you can separate it from the rest of your activities, but do you feel any of the rope walking reflexes or balance translate? Everything feels different to me. 

1 hour ago, Richardo said:

idk if you can separate it from the rest of your activities, but do you feel any of the rope walking reflexes or balance translate? Everything feels different to me. 

I think that they may help at times but they don’t really translate. Riding an EUC becomes very easy. No skill required. I could fall asleep riding an EUC. It just takes time for your brain to realize the rules. Riding a bicycle backwards is actually really easy once your brain figures it out. I think Slack line gets easier yet is never easy. My Mom couldn’t do it yet she can ride an EUC comfortably at 74 years old. 30 years ago she couldn’t figure out a jet ski. :blink1:

12 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Riding an EUC becomes very easy. No skill required.

178360771_getbettercutout.thumb.jpg.921d7b098f9904003cfec6882a61a5d4.jpg

I do not like to disagree with folks, but .... :innocent1:.

28 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

My Mom couldn’t do it yet she can ride an EUC comfortably at 74 years old.

I am sensing a story here! :efee47c9c8:

Can you tell it in ten paragraphs or less? Did she come to it on her own? Did you have to persuade, arm twist, etc.? How long before she was rolling well? ... and any other questions you can think of. :popcorn:

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:47 AM, RockyTop said:

Skills that translate. When I was 10 years old I joined a “bicycle rodeo”. We did a lot of trick riding and raced in BMX. Riding a bicycle facing backwards while sitting on the handlebars is my closest balance feeling to an EUC. 
Nowadays when I have a very young audience, I will pretend that I am almost blind. I get on a bicycle backwards and pedal away confused. 

Haha! I can still ride a bike backwards sitting on the handlebars! Memories............ My friends thought I was crazy - yeah, they were right! When I worked in patient care I could ride a wheelie on the wheelchairs all day long.  Used to ride analog uni's to school and back. First try on a euc and I could "ride" it - just couldn't turn for sh*t! :roflmao:

• Like 1