16x

gon2fast

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Now if I could get my hands on a 18" version of this build with 2700Wh+ battery I would be done with GW today LOL.

That thing is the boss in it's speed range. The steroid version would be something to see!

No work today. Kids are at camp. Wife is working in the field. Just finished cleaning the house (my wife will debate that LOL). 

Time to load up and get a good ride in. First thoughts were a long city to city ride on the Sherman. Nope I rode that yesterday and woke up with the sherm-ache (kidney belt helps tremendously).

Offroading with the MSP it is!

Was loading up the SUV and this arrived... 

image.jpg

Please take a moment to soak in the artistic offerings from my daughter in the background. No backwards letters, I am very proud LOL.

• Like 2

I am about halfway through the rim swap. Ran into a issue with the tube (dent was so extreme that the valve could not come out of the opening). No biggy, I still had a tube from my V10. Nope, the tube I had was for a V8 (damnit).

After finding out that I did not have an extra tube I figured the rim was a total loss so I would beat/break it to salvage my only tube. I was able to free the valve after several blows from a large hammer coupled with a wood block. I figured that I had made enough progress and called it a day, plus I need to study up on removing/installing the motor.

Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Pedal hangers off and one motor cover removed. I broke the seal on the other cover, but the core seems to be stuck to it. I assume I can push the core out as is, but I need to figure out a stand where I can put pressure on the rim and not break the core when it detaches. 

image.jpg

All finished with the rim swap and only 3 extra pieces! Pretty sure I know where they go and will crack it open in a few weeks and resolve.

For those interested here are the tools I used - 

image.jpg

This is what I used to knock the motor core out -

image.jpg

Word to the wise  - watch your fingers when working around the core and rim

• Like 1

looks vaguely familiar....:P

So awesome you got it done. When are we going to hear about your breakneck speed test while naked in flip-flops test ride? I mean it IS California, I hear its hot and anything goes!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I have to give credit to ShanesPlanet as it was his Sherman rim swap instructional that helped me the most. I am most amazed that I did not break anything during the process which IMHO can be attributed to the KS build quality. 

I hope KS brings a 100V big battery wheel to the table soon. I would even revisit the 18XL if it could be retrofitted as a 100V wheel.

I only do naked (soiled loin clothe actually)in flip flops on motorcycles... preferably on the freeway.

As far as speed, I don't see this wheel going past 25MPH (though I did get it up to 22MPH and it felt pretty stable). Not a fan of hitting irregularities in the road on a smaller wheel at speed.  

• Like 1

Hardly an expert as I second guessed everything! The truth is that I did not rush this repair as compared to every other shell opening in the past. I hit many roadblocks, worked through some and decided to throw in towel on the difficult ones (which were not as difficult the next day or when I had the correct tool). Having done this I see it as a 2 hour job with the correct tools.

Feeling kind of empty/bored now that it is fixed. Need to find more wheels to refurbish LOL.

"Hey, what about your Sherman!!!"

Hard NO - leave well enough alone.

"Wow, you are a real  a**hole, what about the trolley handle screw floating around the top of your MSP???"

Not an issue. Built in trail bell in my world...

Sorry, my wife is a therapist so I have to put a lot of thought into my words LOL.

• Like 3

Uh oh, did you catch the tinkering bug? This big has been a curse for me since about age 4. Back when I thought a sippy cup made a good hammer and could fix everything! Here's the rub... the bug doesnt go away, you just get bigger tools and break more expensive sh*t. Sometimes you fix something too. Ah yes, the wretched "i fixed it!". Just as with my golf game. Every 100 swings, you get that one shot that actualy works. If it werent for that random success, we'd get over the illness and move on. Ah, hope... such a destructive force!

Now that you've done the 16x, surely you've gotten some confidence to tackle some other things? I would suggest to fix things while the parts are still available. Or at least order the parts so you can take advantage of a rainy evening when you feel tinkery. Nothing wrong with taking your time and fixing things, merely for the pride and joy of it. NOW when you ride around on your 16x, you can be confident about what was fixed, what screws you left out, and what glue you ignored. Trust me, your repair could NOT be a decrease in factory build strategy. Just leave the loctite out of it all. Just think, NOW you have an excuse to buy quality fasteners and tools if you want! Okay, so who really needs an excuse?

Thanks for the mention, I'm glad I could help. Most of this stuff is fairly basic but needs done with patience and you gotta know when to be nice and when not to be. Yeah, and watch the damn fingers and try not get electrocuted. Now that you have done this much, you've seen pretty much what they all look like. Grats! Now I just wonder, how much a steal of a deal did you get it for, all in, excluding labor? I'd be uber tempted to find a beat up 16x for under a grand, to dedicate to thrashing on the mountain...

You do realize that if you're ever out this way, I'll toss you down one of my wheels for the visit and you owe me a beer? Yeah, I got you, as I know the planes won't let you carry on. You break it, you fix it. :P

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I had to get rid of all of my woodworking equipment when we moved so my wife has been lenient with my remaining hand/power tools... that is always expanding LOL.

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Uh oh, did you catch the tinkering bug?

No Sir, my next task is a tire change for the V11 which sounds awful, but why pay when I can do myself and most likely break some things along the way! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Added some reflective rim tape. Top speed is now 45MPH

That is some magic tape! The more you add, the faster you go!! :laughbounce2:  Are you going to sell it by the foot? Or by the mph? :efef3d5527::D

5 hours ago, Scottie said:

Or by the mph? :efef3d5527:

I think that you are on to something there LOL!

They already beat me to the punch as one little roll of that tape is $15. I might have 15 inches left after two sides of a 16 inch rim. I would need around 4 rolls if I wanted to apply it to my MTB. 

Took the 16X out this morning. I am really liking the wheel. Cruises along in the low twenties very comfortably. I need to lower the speed alarm to 25MPH... and disable the trolley sensor as I did the limp wheel dance in the market earlier which was immediately followed by, "I meant to do that..."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

The trails have become much more interesting now that I can switch between two wheels and conquer the same terrain.

Funny you should mention that; I had very much the same thought today on the MSP ... about how I ride the 16X and MSP interchangeably when feeling adventurous.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

The trails have become much more interesting now that I can switch between two wheels and conquer the same terrain.

I'm jealous you have options (I'm waiting for a 6p suspension wheel!). I've been trialing @ShanesPlanet's ShanesPads v2 off-road and we're working on combining them with @ArieKanarie's "flattener" for the 16x sides. So far (without the side flattener) I really like the extra security of not being on the balls of my feet on the front edge of my pedals when climbing rocky/bouncy terrain. Do have to learn more skills though, else the torque portion whacks my shin when I fail to bump-jump a rock/root. If you find yourself climbing steeper and steeper (I get to loss-of-traction without effort—maybe that's not such a good thing!), you might consider them. CAVEAT: use of ShanesPads2 on a 16x is a work in progress... I like them alot, but I've never used pads before.

There are easy fixes to reduce the amount of dust that gets inside the shell and obscures the LEDs... topic is on the forum. I did a sloppy job on my dust reducing measures (lacked sufficient closed cell squishy foam to do it properly), but after 120 miles on dirt and dust the ingress inside the wheel was 'tolerable'... still got cleaned because I'm that way, but it wasn't OMG by any means.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I was really dreading taking the 16X to the trails having ridden the MSP HT for the last year. It was challenging, but very fun. I approach the terrain very differently on each machine. Having the  maneuverability of the smaller wheel was very refreshing, though I had to get used to bouncing over everything (and slowing down in general).

• Like 1

The city repaved (resealed I believe they say) the street I live on today so I took advantage of the new smooth surface and no traffic to do some high speed reverse runs. All good until my last run when I turned the wheel 45 degrees in reverse to take off moving forward. As I did my pendulum back and then thrusted the wheel forward it seemed like the motor slipped (clunk with little forward movement). Is this normal with King Song wheels or do I need to remove the motor and troubleshoot?

90% battery level at the time.

diagnose it first. Can you make it do it again? I think the KS wheels dont use the standard axle nut hanger that others do. Much less likely to be a hanger loose, but not unheard of. Wouldnt hurt to open the wheel to inspect things, but I wouldnt get too worried if you cant replicate the issue. Backwards to forwards is a LOT of torque. Sometimes my wheels kind of groan and make noises under those conditions. Careful of fresh paving. SOmetimes its REALLY slick when wet.

• Like 1

No worries on the setting as my neighbors already messed up the front of their driveway with power steering on soft pavement earlier in the day. I waited until the temperature dropped before exploring (traffic signs were pulled as well). I think I know what the issue is and it will be addressed this upcoming weekend with some weatherproofing that got missed during the rim change.

Edited by gon2fast