Ninebot One E Reliability

Rotator

This is just to let all of you know about my experience on the reliability of the ninebot one E.

I have this euc since six months ago, more than 2600 km. Firmware 2.2

I never had experimented any failure. I have fallen once because of my fault. Never had a power cut, neither bms fault. The euc behaviour is been rock solid.

Anyway, I know the big mistakes in the recently firmware releases. And there are many people speaking bad about ninebot one. Probably because people usually speak in forums about bad experiences more often than the good ones. And I have nothing to say about that, probably they have a very good reason to do it. May be happy users use their time rinding instead writing in the forum. I do not know.

So I have wanted to contribute in the positive side as well.

Edit: Firmware is 1.2.2 and not 2.2. as I wrote. 

11 minutes ago, Rotator said:

This is just to let all of you know about my experience on the reliability of the ninebot one E.

I never had experimented any failure. I have fallen once because of my fault. Never had a power cut, neither bms fault. The euc behaviour is been rock solid.

Anyway, I know the big mistakes in the recently firmware releases. And there are many people speaking bad about ninebot one. Probably because people usually speak in forums about bad experiences more often than the good ones. And I have nothing to say about that, probably they have a very good reason to do it. May be happy users use their time rinding instead writing in the forum. I do not know.

I was very happy with the performance of my Ninebot One for around 2 weeks until it died. I am still hoping to ride it someday in the near future since it brought us joy during the 2 weeks that it was working .

3 hours ago, Rotator said:

May be happy users use their time rinding instead writing in the forum. I do not know.

I try to do both.  I'm still very happy with mine.  Don't get to ride it as much as I'd like (just over 100 miles so far), but I also have never had a failure yet.  Running 1.3.5.

@dpong Very encouraging to hear of your satisfaction with your 9B1E+  because I recently bought one!!

Just a question - you have not upgraded the firmware - any reason?   Was 1.2.2 installed when you bought it?

In view of the dramatic problems those with 1.2.9 etc have had,   I have decided to stay with 1.3.0 until fully tested firmware releases are made.

I received mine about a month ago with 1.2.9 and upgraded to 1.3.0 due to adverse commentary in this forum when mine was delivered.

I followed this forum for about 6 months before purchasing my first generic in September - congratulations and thanks to all the regular contributors here.

@AlanR I did upgrade one time to 1.2.2.  Since then the rash of unpredictable upgrades with bad results has persuaded me to stay put.  I have nothing to gain by upgrading firmware at this time.  My bot is predictable and dependable.  Just what I want. 

I recently upgraded to a 9bot 1 e+ from a TG and I am very grateful because I would never appreciate how good the ninebot is. It is a piece of good quality device.

Beside of it being faster speed, longer range etc... the ninebot is very well built In comparison to the TG. The ride is alot smoother, it gets over speed bumps easily and one of the thing I like is it gets back to riding mode without needing to turn it off and on again like the TG when it falls off the position. 

1 hour ago, Kwing said:

it gets back to riding mode without needing to turn it off and on again like the TG when it falls off the position. 

Ninebots have auto-reset? Never knew this...

3 hours ago, Kwing said:

I recently upgraded to a 9bot 1 e+ from a TG and I am very grateful because I would never appreciate how good the ninebot is. It is a piece of good quality device.

Beside of it being faster speed, longer range etc... the ninebot is very well built In comparison to the TG. The ride is alot smoother, it gets over speed bumps easily and one of the thing I like is it gets back to riding mode without needing to turn it off and on again like the TG when it falls off the position. 

I agree.  I took my TG F3 for a 10 mile ride yesterday to test the new battery.  It rode really well, but after the ride, my feet and knees hurt so much more than when I rode 20+ miles last weekend on the NineBot.  It also leaned back most of the ride, probably due to the speed difference.  But, it performed very admirably...

2 hours ago, esaj said:

Ninebots have auto-reset? Never knew this...

Most of the time it works when I lay it on it's side and bring it back up, but a few times it says "NO".  Maybe after laying there too long.  I've only tested it in the Living Room while messing with it or the app.

4 hours ago, dpong said:

@AlanR I did upgrade one time to 1.2.2.  Since then the rash of unpredictable upgrades with bad results has persuaded me to stay put.  I have nothing to gain by upgrading firmware at this time.  My bot is predictable and dependable.  Just what I want. 

I'm also in the same boat not upgrading the firmware.

But have you updated the app to the latest and is it working fine with old firmware? Every time I open the app, it asks me to update..Annoying. 

@Planetpapi on iOS I'm under the impression that the App updates itself automatically.  When it does it always makes me log in again.  The last time I rode I didn't bother to do that, and I haven't been riding much lately due to the weather.   I have never noticed any problem running the App with the old firmware, but I too wonder if one day that will happen.  

I would not doubt if it happens at some point.  A lot of device manufacturers force Firmware Updates to continue using newer apps.  This ensures compatibility and continuity.  It also (In Most Cases) helps with dependability.

But in the case of Firmware that is causing problems, it can also cause MASS issues if everyone has the same issue.  iOS, and Android have both had cases where the Firmware Updates have caused thousands of devices to become inoperable, or even Permanently Damaged.  They usually send updates out in waves, so not EVERY phone dies at the same time and they can catch these issues with minimal device deaths.

In the case of NineBot, they do not force the updates yet.  Maybe when they are assured a certain version is safe for all devices, they might make everyone catch up if you want to use their Apps.  Your alternative of course would be to not use the apps at all and just ride like many of the other Unicycles are without apps.

EDIT:  If you go into Settings/iTunes & App Stores, you can turn OFF Automatic Updates for Apps and even Phone Updates if you prefer.  Then you can manually update any app you want, or not update if prefered.  Android also does this in the Play Store Settings.

568fec7ce4386_iOSSettings.thumb.jpg.574f

On 8/1/2016 at 0:35 PM, dpong said:

Me too. I do not remeber the firmware version when the euc arrived. But I upgraded to 1.2.2 one time.

I was near to upgrade to 1.2.6 later, but then people reported a lot of problems and I decided do not upgrade until a version being very stable.

And since that, there was not stable version in my opinion because the high rate of new versions. When you believe that current version is very stable, then a new version is released, and because you can not install anything but the last one, you are again waiting...

• 2 months later...

Good news: My Ninebot E+ has carried me more than 2.000 km so far. I still think it's a very reliable machine and I always feel save riding it - even in critical situations. Ok, the firmware 1.2.9 really was bad luck - burned my board. But this didn't stop the fun I'm having riding the Ninebot. Hope there will be a version (P or P+) with more power and bigger battery soon!

Hello,

I own One E+ for around 2 months now - as of today over 460 km / 66 hours  I have upgraded to 1.3.5 just after it arrived. 

I have added a few mods - battery protection, grips and front and back LED lamps - powered from separate 2xAA  2500mAh Panasonic cells fitting in the cable compartment in the upper part of the ninebot.

see it on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0yl6JZN8_U&nohtml5=False

I had encountered one unexpected loss of stabilization / lost gyroscope which ended on the hard fall on the asphalt at around 15 km/h, which finished without issues  ONLY BECAUSE I WORE  knee, elbow, and wrist pads. Loss of stabilization may have been related with low temperature (it was only around 3 deg. Celsius and low battery level somehow as I had  8km  range showing around 1 minute after the crash.

Since then - no issues, but always wear protectors when riding!

I just have purchased SEBA protectors as those are almost the only ones on which You can put on/off the knee protector without taking off Your shoes, and I always wear the helmet. I have older set from Rossignol which saved my hands and knees during the fall..

I had no further failures so far - so I can say great device! 

9 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Loss of stabilization may have been related with low temperature (it was only around 3 deg. Celsius and low battery level somehow as I had  8km  range showing around 1 minute after the crash.

Since then - no issues, but always wear protectors when riding!

Sounds like a very low battery issue... 8km approx. range (without rider on it) in +3 is like "fully or near fully depleted" to the point when the motor not getting enough juice from battery to maintain the balance.  

I am still avoiding to ride my 9b1 if battery is getting under ca. 20% as it is just too cold here (under +10)

I am considering getting new battery based on the Panasonic NCR18650GA  3500mAh cells (from 1-radwerkstatt in Germany) - this should give something like 25% more juice - 388Wh instead of 320Wh...

• 11 months later...
On ‎07‎-‎01‎-‎2016 at 0:53 PM, Rotator said:

Edit: Firmware is 1.2.2 and not 2.2. as I wrote. 

More than one year ago, I wrote this message.

Same opinion about the reliability of the ninebot one.

7000 km. and no failures yet. (cross fingers)

Original battery was replaced because its performance degradation. I use a 1-radwerkstatt battery now (388W) charged with a charge doctor (the auto-disconnect version).

Captura.JPG

@Rotator - Wow!  That is a lot of mileage!  Super!

Mine is still running fine, too.  I'm at almost 2,300 miles, running 1.2.2.   I, too, replaced my battery this year due to degradation.  I left it charged 100% most of the winter when not riding.  My bad. 

IMG_7757.jpg

Damn!!!! Where do you guys ride to accumulate those many miles? Ninebot won't give you "frequent rider miles" rewards, you know that right? Kidding.  From my quick calculations, that's religious 6 miles per day. Not bad if you look at that way. Cheers.

It's too bad Ninebot screwed the pooch on ticking off all their distributors and kind of left the market with subpar new products like the S2 / A1.  My read is that maybe the EUC market isn't netting them enough money so they are backing off from trying to compete with KingSong/Gotway/InMotion/others.  I think they did a good engineering job on the Ninebot One E+, but whoever rushed out the P model screwed up making a mess of things.

Even though I hate to say it, I somehow doubt that EUCs will ever become mainstream in the future.  I've been known to be wrong before :innocent1: though so in this case I hope I am.  The costs just don't seem to be coming down, but rather they are simply growing as the latest and greatest come out.  I make a good living, but I find it hard to justify plunking down over $2000 for an electric wheel.  I might look at getting an ACM or GT16 sometime in the future, but I hope the pricing comes down a bit.  Someone needs to send Justin Bieber a Gotway ACM, and I bet we'd see a larger increase in riders...

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Someone needs to send Justin Bieber a Gotway ACM 

Oh ya... I'll just express ship my ACM to him tomorrow!:cry2: Please anyone but Bieber! Now put Trump on a wheel and they would be flying off the shelves!  :P

For the record my grandson loves his NB 1E+! It treated me very well before I gave it to him last fall. If I ever thought the NB was unsafe for him to ride it would be gone in an instant! A trustworthy, solid machine in my opinion!

Archived