Hoverboard batteries on fire and shooting though house

10 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I guess hoverboards are also quite dangerous when it comes to battery overheating.

The problem with these toys is their lack of resistance to water and the short circuits it causes.  The problem is mounting some components;  LED lamps, speakers, BT module, etc.  - with hot glue.  Over time, these elements fall off and short circuit.

• Like 2

At first I was like Why is she moving it away from the wall?
And then I remembered that US homes are built from wood. :facepalm:

Charging under a fire blanket would both save the wall and catch flying cells. That's how I charge the wheel.

• Like 1

"Drag bag" idea makes a lot of sense. Then the fire blanket material doesn't have to magically stop the fire completely, just hold up long enough and enables you to drag your wheel out of your garage or whatever away from everything else.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Just an FYI PSA, cheap welding fire proof blankets do nothing to stop a lithium battery fire. They are designed to catch embers and snuff out a fire. Sustained flame contact simply melts the fiberglass away in just a few seconds. Unless you have a very expensive high end lithium fire blanket it will not be effective at all in covering a battery fire

The idea of a blanket is to decrease the amount of embers flying off the machine. I definitely don't agree that they do nothing.
Thermal runaway takes about 10s, afterwards an EUC fire is just a normal plastic fire. Thus, keeping it away from flammables is the priority.

Even on your test 90% of the bag survived. B) Thus, it would catch on average 90% of the shrapnel, immensely decreasing the chance of furniture catching fire.

Edited by atdlzpae

On 6/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, Paulo Mesquita said:

^ A good reminder of the progression of a cylinder cell pack fire.

To avoid repeating ourselves...

Happy riding