Crash on my V8, time to upgrade? Decisions, decisions...

Alex-l

Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker but never posted so far. I started wheeling a few years ago with a kingsong 14b and upgraded a couple years after to an inmotion V8. I enjoyed it a lot, had a first crash on a speed bump that I just didn't see but no injuries.

Then I moved from Ithaca, NY to Tampa, Fl. I haven't used my euc so much in Tampa. Too much traffic and highways, impossible to commute with my V8...

Now I am temporary back to Ithaca, and have been riding again. Last week, I went down a pretty steep hill and experienced my first cut out. It was not the first time I was going down this hill and had never any issues before. Euc world for once was not on so I don't really know what happened. I wasn't going fast, probably less than 15 mph. I've been thinking about it and the only thing I can think of is that somehow the wheel overcharged? I live down the hill and so started at 100% battery, went up as usual. But this time I walk with the wheel for maybe a mile and a half before going down. Maybe the wheel recharged while I walked it? I got lucky and just got some road rash on my forearm (no elbow pads).

Anyways, I think it's time for me to upgrade. I now ride too often too close to the speed limit. The problem is I have such a hard time making a decision. I am really seduced by the suspension wheels and can't make up my mind between the V11 and the S18. I like to do trails around here and I'm thinking the s18 might be more fun. At 140lbs, I think that I would get a reasonable range from either of them. But I am moving back to Tampa in December and I don't think I will have access to trails as much except for the Pinellas Trail which is paved and apparently will extend to a 75 miles loop in the coming years...

Arguments for the S18:

- Better suspension

- More fun, easier to jump if I want to go this way

- Suspension easy to dial

- The look of course.

Arguments for the V11

- More comfortable on long rides

- Better range (but it seems close to the s18 in real live tests)

- More power

I hope that at this point most of the initial issues have been dealt with by the manufacturers. I am not into mechanics and will dread changing a tire but I don't think one is better than the other in this regard. I had a flat on my v8 and just put some slime in it, seems to have done the trick so far.

While I am at it, I am also shopping for gear. I need a full face helmet, was really interested in the Proframe because Florida but it is very expensive and while researching I found the Leatt DBX 4.0 for $169 which seems like a good deal:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Leatt-DBX-40-Full-Face-Helmet-2019-Ink-Large?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6jSYiypTgMXMoH9E5M33en0K04B5LRjgWZKSC6FSiO8P_bXcOpvWuAaAh47EALw_wcB

My concern is will it be much warmer than the proframe? Also the proframe seems to be available only in black at the moment which is not the best either.

As for a jacket, I am thinking of the Rev'it Eclipse but maybe a chest protector and elbow pads would be better for the heat? I like the convenience of the jacket though and could get this one in white to avoid overheating.

In the end I just think I need some encouragements to make the jump since it is a big investment for me and I don't see myself able to buy another wheel in years from now. Thanks for reading!

euc-crash.jpg

• Like 2

Ouch, that smarts just a bit.

Here's all you need to know...

If you start to ride near the limits of your current wheel, OF COURSE you need another. If you dont ride near the limits, OF COURSE you need another. If you love your wheel and its just fine, of COURSE you need another.

I wont comment on the two wheels you are deciding between. It does sound like you would do better with more headroom for sure.

Order the jacket, keep the receipt and give it a try. If you have ANY clue about what you prefer, you are already well ahead of the advice we could offer. When I get too hot, I try to ride faster... I guess that means, faster wheels keep you cooler while being 'cooler'.B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex-l said:

Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker but never posted so far. I started wheeling a few years ago with a kingsong 14b and upgraded a couple years after to an inmotion V8. I enjoyed it a lot, had a first crash on a speed bump that I just didn't see but no injuries.

Then I moved from Ithaca, NY to Tampa, Fl. I haven't used my euc so much in Tampa. Too much traffic and highways, impossible to commute with my V8...

I've been thinking about it and the only thing I can think of is that somehow the wheel overcharged?

I think you're probably right with that assumption tbh. Fully charged wheels and going downhill has always scared the hell out of me. On the odd occasion I have done it, I've ridden at walking speed all the way to the bottom.

Sorry I can't help with the 2 choices of wheel you fancy, as I haven't owned either. But...

1 hour ago, Alex-l said:

I am thinking of the Rev'it Eclipse

The eclipse is a brilliant jacket. I don't actually have one, but I have a very similar design (Spada Fighter) and mesh jackets are absolutely awesome in really hot weather. You can feel them flowing even at 5mph. I found it far better breathing than the 'mesh' robocop armour, and much more comfortable. Plus you you don't run the risk of ripping the pads out like the robocop stuff and better abrasion protection. MC jackets are, IMO, the best protection for EUC's. Mesh for summer, regular (with removable linings) for the colder months (I use a Rev'it).

• Like 2

I’ve a Rev’it Tornado 2 mesh jacket and have been riding in the mid 90s the past few days. The back protector gets hot, and the arms get warm, but when moving it cools well. I have thought about adding pockets for a split chest protector but in the summer that’d block the main cooling intake. Can’t win for losing, and do need to be able to wear the thing so probably won’t.

Non-mesh black moto pants on the other hand are quite toasty and uncomfortable. I’m considering mesh pants but they’re $200.

• Like 1

As for the jacket…go Swedish. Have a look at Lazyrolling.com   Their performance hoodie is an exceptional hot wether armoured jacket.. and you don’t look like an extra from a Star Wars movie wearing it! 

Ithaca is super hilly. I live 20 miles south and I usually ride at Cornell or the waterfront trail. You didn’t mention a 16x, but I love mine and you’re welcome to try it sometime. 

Thanks for your answers! Now that I watch carefully the battery when going down, I'm sure it was an overcharge. I never imagined it could happen since I always climb up the hill before going down. Apparently the regenerative breaking of the V8 is almost too efficient.

I decided to go ahead and ordered a ks s18 from ewheels. I thought I had to act quick before the new stock disappeared and prices started to rise. I also ordered the jacket and the helmet.

@Rollbot Thank you for the offer. I seriously considered the 16x a while ago but got seduced by the novelty of the suspension mostly because I would like to ride more on trails. I also wanted to try a 18" wheel. I am supposed to receive it next week but not sure yet. I have a tracking number but Fedex didn't receive the package yet so we'll see. I wouldn't mind trying the 16x still and maybe you'd like to try the s18. pm me if you want to meet. I don't know any other local riders and wouldn't mind riding with someone for a change.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, I had exactly the same thing happen yesterday with my V8f…but without the hard landing. I also like 1km up a steep hill. I took my 100% charged wheel, and a bag of garbage and rode slowly down the hill to put the garbage down at the collection point.. when I almost arrived at the bottom of the hill the wheel started to bleep and tilt back strongly… with the INMOTION voice saying..Overload, Overload..Please get off.  So, I got off. I shut it down and restarted it, then rode up the hill home without further problems. So, I concluded that they don’t like going down hill when fully charged. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tampa???

I've lived in Tampa 3 different times.

I remember sitting at the beach with the heat so hot you could slice it with a knife.

My car was an "easy bake oven".

I lived in cutoffs and Nothing else.

How does anyone wear a Jacket???